HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:37 PM

[St. John's] Metro West End Development

This Thread is for development in the west end of metro

Seniors & Condominium Apartment Project, Topsail Road & Holbrook Avenue

http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/2819-01%2...029%20docx.pdf

Westdale Grove Condominiums

Quote:
Westdale Grove Condominiums will be nestled in a park-like setting 1,703 acres, surrounded by beautiful, mature trees. It’s perfectly situated in the west end of St. John’s, close to many amenities.

As the fiirst High-End Condominium Project in the West End of St. John’s, it will be withing walking distance of the Village Shopping Centre, Doctors Offices, many restaurants, and beatiful Bowring Park. The location also features being on the doorste of Mt. Pearl as well as less than 5km from Downtown St. John’s.

Westdale Grove is located in popular Cowan Heights and will consist of 52 Units on four floors. All residences will include underground parking, large open air patios with glass rolling, storage lockers, and ample visitor parking for their guests.
http://www.westdalegrove.ca/area.php

The Sundara

Quote:
Located at 835 Blackmarsh Road in Mount Pearl and just a 60 second drive from the new Team Gushue exchange on Topsail Road, you can be on the highway and almost anywhere you need to be in 15 minutes! The highway extension is planned on being finished in 2013.
http://www.thesundara.com/

Wind power proposal in St. John's
Quote:
A Newfoundland and Labrador company wants to build a wind turbine near a busy St. John's road to power a wholesale business and promote an alternative to hydroelectric power.

Labrador Coastal Equipment Limited has proposed a 225-kilowatt wind turbine on Kenmount Road near the wholesale business Blue Buoy Foods.
The company said the turbine would power Blue Buoy Foods with a source of clean, sustainable energy. It also expects wind power will significantly reduce energy bills at the business....

.."We would like see some of the small scale turbines within the city limits because we want to see alternative sources of energy and I think wind turbines are another source we should be looking at down the road," said Hann...
read the full article at http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...mout-1127.html

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott (formally the Travelers inn)

148 suites, complimentary WiFi, a pool with a waterslide, a fitness area, free breakfast and a site for a restaurant.

http://www.travellersinnstjohns.com/message.asp

KELSEY DRIVE AREA

Bristol Court

• Five two story buildings, 30,000 sq ft each

• 375 Parking Stalls

http://bristolcourtofficepark.com/#s...-project-specs

O’Keefe Offices

http://www.homefinder.ca/listings/20...undland-160988

St. John's City Bus Depot - under construction

The St. John's Transportation Commission has purchased 13 Acres on Street 'A' (near Kelsey Drive) for the new Metrobus Facility. Construction at the new depot site, near Kenmount Road, is expected to start in the spring (2009). The estimated project cost is $34,205,586.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...bus-depot.html

Glencrest

Quote:
“It’s a 20-year concept plan. The developers are hoping they can begin the first phase of that plan in 2012, and that will ... have a value of about $400 million,” O’Keefe said.
That phase is expected to take about five years to complete.
“The first phase, I think, will start with a retail phase,” O’Keefe said, but noted some other land uses may also be included.

... “It will take in retail, it will take in commercial, it will take in residential in will take in institutional and recreational,” he said of the concept development. “So it will actually be a development that would parallel the size of the town of Gander.”
O’Keefe was limited in what else he could say without the proposal on paper.
“But I can tell you it’s a very exciting concept, it’s going to have terrific economic value for the city, (the region) and the province in terms (of) employment, in terms of revenues for the province and the city. Like I said it’s almost like a town within the city,” he said.

southlands power center

Phase 1

• 60 developable hectares
• Available Retail Space 72,000 sf
• Suites range – 2,000 sf to 5,700 sf
• 254 parking stalls
• Box-store Development 324,000 sf
• Suites range – 3,500 sf to 110,000 sf
• 2,027 parking stalls
• Residential 46.77 acres
• 192 building lots Fully service

http://www.comproperty.ca/powercentr...dsBrochure.pdf

The Gateway Conception Bay South

http://www.conceptionbaysouth.ca/use..._wContours.jpg
http://www.conceptionbaysouth.ca/use...%20release.pdf

Last edited by jeddy1989; Apr 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:57 AM

I think eventually Williamsland (Southlands development) may need its own thread. It's going to be big.

Re: Kelsey Drive area: I notice that a Kent building supplies is being built up there, next to one of the Bristol Court developments being used as a Sunlife office.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I think eventually Williamsland (Southlands development) may need its own thread. It's going to be big.

Re: Kelsey Drive area: I notice that a Kent building supplies is being built up there, next to one of the Bristol Court developments being used as a Sunlife office.
Kent is just having a contractors site.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:16 AM

Kilbride seniors building proposal rejected

Quote:
St. John's City Council has rejected a controversial seniors complex proposed for Kilbride.

It's the second time the development has been turned down. Some councillors said it wasn't an easy decision to make.

In the end, the nays won – voting six to three against the complex.

The proposed plan was for a three-storey assisted living complex for seniors with 69 rooms, but people living near the site fought against it. They sent council almost 50 pages of letters and submissions. Coun. Debbie Hanlon said it was a difficult to come to a conclusion about the proposal.

“I'm trying to take the personal side out of it, which when I went through a lot of the letters it appeared not in my backyard was evident,” she said.

When it came time to cast her vote, Hanlon decided against the complex, citing traffic concerns.

Others voted against it, saying the location wasn't appropriate.

Coun. Frank Galgay voted for the project. He said St. John's needs more housing for seniors.

“It would be an addition to that neighbourhood. People should be rejoicing that senior citizens are coming in,” he said.

Developer Sean Callahan says his company had come up with a way to address traffic concerns, but council ignored the advice.

He says he may continue his legal challenge, but he has to consult with his lawyer first.
see full article and videos at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ction-313.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Kent is just having a contractors site.
Are you sure? The building is massive and the sign is advertising what appears to be a full-fledged store

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Kilbride seniors building proposal rejected
see full article and videos at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ction-313.html
I'm sorry but what intersection is this? My ex girlfriend used to live in Kilbride, and my drive back and forth from my house was pretty simple, I never drove through any "dangerous" intersections, minus maybe the Columbus-Prince Phillip-Thorburn intersection by my house. It's really nothing but NIMBY'ism by the residents of Richmond Hill. Money can buy you your view, apparently.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? The building is massive and the sign is advertising what appears to be a full-fledged store
The sign I saw said contractor site, unless there are two separate sites.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The sign I saw said contractor site, unless there are two separate sites.
It'd make sense though; with a Home Depot up the street I'd find it strange for Kent to try and go in competition with them.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It'd make sense though; with a Home Depot up the street I'd find it strange for Kent to try and go in competition with them.
Plus they have a location in Mount Pearl that isn't really that far away.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:11 PM

The new west end high school will start construction soon. Not only will that possibly lead to more development in the west end, but it will also lead to two schools closing in the centre of the city. Hopefully when Bishops College and Booth Memorial close we'll see some development on those sites, they're both in good locations for condos.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:54 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
I've seen stranger things. In Duncan, BC there's a power centre with Rona, Canadian Tire, and Home Depot (and Walmart, of course).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:26 PM

Developer Defends Rejected Proposal

Quote:
The man behind a bid to build a seniors' complex in Kilbride, twice rejected by the St. John's City Council says he may end up taking the capital to court. Shawn Callahan says his company has become the whipping boy for traffic problems created by the city.

He called VOCM Backtalk with Paddy Daly yesterday to say that the traffic issues on Bay Bulls Road weren't created by him. He says local residents used his development to put pressure on city council to do something about the traffic congestion at the bottom of Richmond Hill.

Callahan says most of the development's 69 residents would be in their 80s and 90s and won't be driving. Callahan says he will discuss further options with his lawyer.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...21558&latest=1

City Well Aware of Traffic Problems: Duff

Quote:
The Deputy Mayor of St. John's says the traffic problem that exists on Bay Bulls Road, was well-known to the city before the proposed Kilbride Seniors' Complex grabbed the attention of area residents. On VOCM Backtalk with Paddy Daley, Shawn Callahan, the project's developer, said people in the neighbourhood used the issue to pressure St. John's about the traffic congestion at the bottom of Richmond Hill. Shannie Duff says the city knows that is a seriously dysfunctional intersection, but it is only one factor in the city's decision to oppose the complex.

Duff says that intersection problem is not as high a priority for the city's capital works budget as other areas. She also says that the traffic congestion problem is just one of many concerns the city had about putting the complex in the area the developer was proposing.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...21582&latest=1

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:59 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ While I'm doing maps today ... I think this is the intersection in question. There is no easy fix probably, except to move it to the south.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 8:52 PM

C.B.S. mayor upset with telecom tower proposal

Quote:
The mayor of Conception Bay South is unhappy with Bell Aliant over the possible location of a large tower in the town.

Woodrow French says the company wants to put a 60-metre telecommunications tower in a residential area near Topsail beach.

French said it will be an eyesore.

“Here we are trying to promote beautiful Newfoundland, scenic Newfoundland, and what do we do in the centre of one of the most beautiful valleys on the northeast Avalon? We're gonna stick a communications tower [there],” he said.

Industry Canada regulates where telecommunications infrastructure is located.

The town has written the federal government requesting the tower be moved to a less-populated area.

A decision on the location of the tower is expected this summer.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...r-cbs-316.html

I can understand the opposition to this, but the poor communications towers are having a hard time lately hahah

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 1:46 AM

A Couple of updates from out CBS way. The Kent Store at Gateway is coming along.
Ground was also broken at the Manuals River Interpretation Center http://www.manuelsriver.com/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Construction delayed one year on 'The Overpass'

Worker shortage at the root of the problem

CBC News Posted: Mar 12, 2012

Quote:
Work to replace the province's best known overpass has stalled.

Even though it's not actually in St. John's, the Kenmount Road -Topsail Road overpass has been seen as the symbolic divide between 'town' – and 'the bay'. Now it may be an indicator of how dire the province’s labour shortage could become.

According to the Department of Transportation and Works, the planned reconstruction of the overpass will miss its scheduled completion date by 12 months.

The original $5.6 million plan called for the work to be finished by the fall of 2011.

The new completion date is for the fall of 2012.

"A lack of skilled workers due to rapid economic growth and ongoing megaprojects" is at the root of the delay, according a government official who spoke with CBC.

The province estimates there will be a shortage of up to 70,000 workers within the next decade.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...delay-312.html

It stands to reason that the worker shortage may affect and slow any or all new construction projects in the city and province.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
There is a meeting tomorrow, Wednesday, in the Foran Room, City Hall 7-9 on the O'Brien Farm Master Plan.

Taken from http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

O'Brien's Farm Plan in the Works

Quote:
An open house this week to discuss the development of a master plan for O'Brien's Farm in St. John's. The area was established by the O'Brien family of Ireland nearly 200 years ago and is the last of what once was 35 farms that occupied the Freshwater Valley.

The provincial government acquired the property when Aly O'Brien passed away a few years ago. Government and the Newfoundland and Labrador Historic Sites Division are now developing a plan to preserve, protect and present what they call an important part of out local Irish and agricultural heritage.

The public is invited to an open house in the EB Foran Room at St. John's City Hall this Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. to view historic maps and information about the O'Brien Farm and to discuss ideas about how the farm can best be used to help the public understand and appreciate its historic significance
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...21681&latest=1

I always wondered what the story of this area was, its a kind of cool area (should be maintained or something done to it) and too bad its in a prime real estate area

Last edited by jeddy1989; Mar 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:04 PM

I live in this neighbourhood, and I think that area could be somewhat developed, but at the same time preserving the farm land, maybe a mixed area. That fire really destroyed the building itself, whether or not it's salvagable I do not know.

Anytime I've driven through that part of Oxen Pond Road there seems to be interesting "illegal transactions" happening as I would call it, more of a presence in the area could help stop this. But I'm still for preservation of the farm land as well, it's nice not to have blocks of houses stretching for as far as the eye can see ala. Paradise, Mount Pearl, etc.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:00 PM

New Rules for Wind Turbines in St. John's

Quote:
St. John's is now accepting proposals for wind turbines. The city has created legislation governing the use of small scale turbines within city boundaries. This follows a proposal by Blue Buoy Foods on Kenmount Road which raised safety concerns involving fall zones. Councillor Sheilagh O'Leary says the regulations now say the turbines are not permitted in commercial zones, nor are they allowed in the watershed zone. O'Leary says the fall zone must be at least 1.5 times the height of the turbine, with council having the discretion to increase the fall zone to three times the height of the turbine if neighbouring an occupied lot.
This is interesting and belongs here and the Main thread so I'll post it in both (as it is general regulations but in response to a specific proposal)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:55 PM

heres a video of the public open house

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canad.../ID=2213631207

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's