HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:00 PM

Build the mall expansion above the parking lot, as in on the second level. Lots of those around the continent. Just like the Target at Polo. Isn't there parking with the store on the second level?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Build the mall expansion above the parking lot, as in on the second level. Lots of those around the continent. Just like the Target at Polo. Isn't there parking with the store on the second level?
Look at West Edmonton Mall. The gap between the mall and the surrounding streets is very narrow. They create extra spaces by using multiple levels. If Polo Park double-decked the west side as they did with the east side in the mid 80s, that would more than offset any spaces lost on the south side of the mall.

Personally I'd love to see a southern expansion that builds right up to Portage Avenue with additional shops, and perhaps a hotel too.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Personally I'd love to see a southern expansion that builds right up to Portage Avenue with additional shops, and perhaps a hotel too.
This is exactly what I would like to see as well.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:14 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I would actually rather see them build a West expansion right up against St James and have a full loop of stores.

There already is a hotel next to Polo Park.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would actually rather see them build a West expansion right up against St James and have a full loop of stores.

There already is a hotel next to Polo Park.
That could work too. I just liked the idea of a proper urban street wall facing our main drag.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:23 PM

However the expansion continues, the removal of the massive surface lot fronting Portage Ave. would be desirable. This includes stand alone moxies, kegs etc.. what have you.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:32 PM

Thanks to the time predating the second floor mall addition, the Sears space has a lower height than the rest of the mall. If something were to replace Sears it would be nice to see that space demolished and rebuilt so it is the same level as the rest of the mall.

The other reality of the redevelopment fantasy is that enclosed malls are still primarily built around anchors. There are three (maybe four) potential anchors looking at the Polo Park area, Simons, Nordstrom's, Saks and the long shot - Holt Renfrew. An additional loop on the west side would limit to opportunity for an additional anchor. A south expansion could potentially have two side by side anchors if there was interest.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Thanks to the time predating the second floor mall addition, the Sears space has a lower height than the rest of the mall. If something were to replace Sears it would be nice to see that space demolished and rebuilt so it is the same level as the rest of the mall.

The other reality of the redevelopment fantasy is that enclosed malls are still primarily built around anchors. There are three (maybe four) potential anchors looking at the Polo Park area, Simons, Nordstrom's, Saks and the long shot - Holt Renfrew. An additional loop on the west side would limit to opportunity for an additional anchor. A south expansion could potentially have two side by side anchors if there was interest.
Why not put in Herbergers, JC Penny, and Macy's then change the name to West Acres North.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:53 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
That could work too. I just liked the idea of a proper urban street wall facing our main drag.
I doubt that would ever happen due to the rather critical bus loop already in that spot.

Its not exactly like Portage between the tracks and route 90 are a potential walkable stretch.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:55 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

A west expansion could easily allow for two more anchors placed directly west of the Hudson's Bay store and Sears.

You could even stack a couple of smaller anchors in those spots as well. Put a Holt underneath a Crate and Barrel.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I doubt that would ever happen due to the rather critical bus loop already in that spot.

Its not exactly like Portage between the tracks and route 90 are a potential walkable stretch.
The bus loop could easily be moved. A lot of the Portage Avenue buses already detour up St. James.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
The bus loop could easily be moved. A lot of the Portage Avenue buses already detour up St. James.
Yeah but the portage ave buses that go up st James are the 11,12 that go up there go that way cause of the loop set up where as the 66,26,78,79,24,26,95 all come off the st James bridge and go to the loop then go back down either portage or route 90 so say put all those routes on st James at a new loop would be a night mare for transit planners. What I would do is undergorund parking for portage ave lots and build the mall over the loop so u have a covered terminal like balmoral station.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:59 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg transit 163-1 View Post
Yeah but the portage ave buses that go up st James are the 11,12 that go up there go that way cause of the loop set up where as the 66,26,78,79,24,26,95 all come off the st James bridge and go to the loop then go back down either portage or route 90 so say put all those routes on st James at a new loop would be a night mare for transit planners. What I would do is undergorund parking for portage ave lots and build the mall over the loop so u have a covered terminal like balmoral station.
Kind of negates the ability for street level retail and/or an anchor tenant as the previous poster was hoping for.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:38 PM

What about moving the loop to the east and slightly north placing it behind the current Earls location. Buses could then take the existing yield from Portage Ave onto Empress and into the loop. They could then come back out onto Empress heading south and merge onto Portage. At that point Portage Ave is five lanes, install a protection barrier to give the buses priority over the merge lane until around the current crossing light. Leave that existing light in place and add a transit priority signal to allow buses to easily merge out of the curb lane to continue down Portage Ave.

Potentially, the existing second level parking deck could be expanded to the south giving the loop a roof which is currently does not have. If desired further weather protection could also be installed.

And before someone points on the mall loading dock would be covered by this reno, the vision I put forward also called for replacing the existing Sears location. Sears of course has a basement loading dock they use for catalogue pickup. While the facility is being rebuilt that loading dock would be converted to use in place of the existing one next to SportsCheck.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 9:20 PM

Well Disney, Things Remembered, and Watch It have had their hoarding removed. Disney looks pretty cool, even has a castle in it. I suspect others will do the same soon. I know that we are essentially done with Teavana and Swarovski and that Bench isn't far behind.

Our company is also working on a Victoria's Secret at St. Vital, but I haven't been there myself as of yet.

In other news i've seen a plan for a new 7 Eleven on Salter near Selkirk (I believe). Was or is a Petro Canada or something like that. I guess we will be working on that but i'm not sure.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:42 AM

I Spot Pandora sign at polo park

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 AM

Disney store Grand Opening Saturday October 4th.

http://www.polopark.ca/en/centreinfo...dOpening!.aspx

Updated Mall Map
http://www.polopark.ca/SiteCollectio...ectory_PPK.pdf

It looks like they added only one entrance (SE Corner) to the mall.
The NE corner might be used by a retail store (Urban Outfitters?)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Disney store Grand Opening Saturday October 4th.

http://www.polopark.ca/en/centreinfo...dOpening!.aspx

Updated Mall Map
http://www.polopark.ca/SiteCollectio...ectory_PPK.pdf

It looks like they added only one entrance (SE Corner) to the mall.
The NE corner might be used by a retail store (Urban Outfitters?)
Actually Urban Outfitters is next to the new entrance. And you are correct they only added one. I suppose maybe one day they could add one at the other location but for now they have not. Can't recall what is going in there.

In other news Teavana and Bench have been officially handed over and some of the hoarding has come down and they have stocked most of their stuff already. And I smelled something good brewing in Teavana. I believe they are opening on the 1st.

And according to the Polo website there is a Loulou Shop opening on Oct 17, not sure where that is located but it isn't in the expansion that I am aware of.

I've also noticed that last week Second Cup was shut down for renovations. Lots going on at Polo.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 PM

Just noticed Transat Travel is getting ready to open, or reopen, next to the main floor washrooms. Speaking of which there is new washrooms in the expansion which is good.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:44 PM

Do You Got Opening Date of THOMAS SABO at Polo Park?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan