HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 5:01 AM
Capitalist

An article from the Winnipeg Real Estate News.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 5:14 PM

Haha, good ol' Thunder Bay. At least Windsor has an excuse!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 8:24 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Haha, good ol' Thunder Bay. At least Windsor has an excuse!
We've lost 6,000 jobs in the past 2 years and our population has dropped 7% in the last 10. What's your excuse?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:31 AM

Fair enough

Last edited by Blitz; Apr 29, 2008 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:59 PM
I am a typical

Well ours grew by a whopping 124 people since 2001! Most of them are natives!

And we barely had a tourism industry to begin with! And what we did have no longer exists! So there!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Well ours grew by a whopping 124 people since 2001! Most of them are natives!

And we barely had a tourism industry to begin with! And what we did have no longer exists! So there!
Maybe you can enlist your newest citizens to organize some sort of 'protest' about the loss of jobs and population in your town

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Conspicuous by its absence in the survey was Winnipeg, which was left out because officials there were unwilling to disclose necessary information.
newflyer did u put that piece in BOLD or was it in the article?
This has not been the first time Winnipeg officials have refused to take part in surveys around growth indicators. About 3 months ago national trends in the real estate market were being reported, and as we know Winnipeg has been performing well in this regard. We were however mysteriously not reported amongst all the cities in the country. I emailed CIBC who did the report, and they said Winnipeg had not submitted the information. I then emailed the Chamber of Commerce and the Winnipeg Real Estate Board. The next time figures appeared, our data was in there (and we were in a good spot). I don't know if it was a coincidence. This crap pisses me off. Us being not in there looks like we're a loser too scared to take part. It looks like we're too embarrassed to enter our data, when in fact we may have good numbers. Who knows why the data isn't being provided, but I think lots of us should ask questions the next time we're absent in these kinds of reports.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 7:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude View Post
This has not been the first time Winnipeg officials have refused to take part in surveys around growth indicators. About 3 months ago national trends in the real estate market were being reported, and as we know Winnipeg has been performing well in this regard. We were however mysteriously not reported amongst all the cities in the country. I emailed CIBC who did the report, and they said Winnipeg had not submitted the information. I then emailed the Chamber of Commerce and the Winnipeg Real Estate Board. The next time figures appeared, our data was in there (and we were in a good spot). I don't know if it was a coincidence. This crap pisses me off. Us being not in there looks like we're a loser too scared to take part. It looks like we're too embarrassed to enter our data, when in fact we may have good numbers. Who knows why the data isn't being provided, but I think lots of us should ask questions the next time we're absent in these kinds of reports.
simple lazy people that don't care

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
Density and complexity

Hey can anyone with access to the Free Press site please post up the text or link of an op-ed article by David Rattray of FineLine Solutions, who said that abolishing the $2.10 king can from the downtown area--making Manitoba's already antiquated liquor sales regulations further--will make downtown a better place. I found it to be a positively absurd, and he came off like a cantankerous old cook.

Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:51 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Hey can anyone with access to the Free Press site please post up the text or link of an op-ed article by David Rattray of FineLine Solutions, who said that abolishing the $2.10 king can from the downtown area--making Manitoba's already antiquated liquor sales regulations further--will make downtown a better place. I found it to be a positively absurd, and he came off like a cantankerous old cook.

Thanks.
My pleasure Mr.Galston..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Press Op-Ed
The scourge of king cans
Sales of cheap beer to alcoholics killing downtown

Wed Jun 6 2007

David Rattray

WHAT does a $2 king can of beer really cost?
The Manitoba Liquor Control Commission and a small number of skid row hotels it licenses sell $2 king cans of beer to alcoholics and it's killing downtown Winnipeg. After seven years as a property owner in the downtown it is clear to me that the MLCC is directly responsible for feeding the habits of a group of people that make life difficult for everyone that lives, works and plays in the downtown.

We should all remember that for a significant percentage of the population of Winnipeg, visiting the downtown is a choice.

Over the last decade I have seen any number of new programs and initiatives come and go. While I applaud those who are trying to end the scourge of substance abuse, poverty and crime in the downtown core, the reality is that these programs don't work. Give an intoxicated and aggressive panhandler a "blue loonie" and you are likely to get punched or worse.

We expend enormous amounts of valuable police, fire and paramedic and Downtown Watch resources to simply chase the same people around the downtown. Fifty per cent of the calls that the Downtown Watch responds to are related to intoxicated persons. I can only assume that the stats are the same for the police and fire and paramedic services.

The MLCC claims it has no control over the product that vendor licensees sell. This is nonsense. The MLCC makes the rules. The regulatory framework is broken and it's time to make changes.
Let me explain what happens each and every day in the downtown. At 9 a.m. people start buying the 745 millilitre, $2 king cans of beer at hotel vendors. These cans are roughly twice the size of a regular bottle of beer. They then wander around drinking. They panhandle until they have $2 to purchase more beer. Many are visibly intoxicated. A vendor clerk is the sole determinant of who is fit to purchase beer.

It is important to note that, in most cases, there are MLCC retail outlets within a reasonable distance of the hotels in question, staffed by trained MLCC staff members.

I have personally experienced more than 20 people at once drinking in plain view on the street where my business is located. As a business owner I have no practical recourse. I regularly see people wandering around drinking, fighting, urinating, vomiting and worse. They become very aggressive and harass people demanding money and cigarettes. The police place a low priority on calls related to public intoxication. While Downtown Watch personnel are now able to detain those who are visibly intoxicated for a short period, it seems to me that it would be easier to simply deal with the source of the problem. There is no justification for the sale of large cans of cheap beer given the nuisance value and damage to the downtown. In contrast, by law the cheapest drink a person can buy at a bar is $2.25 -- in a supervised environment.

The police view themselves as unpaid bouncers for these establishments. They are demoralized by the lack of a meaningful and practical framework to deal with the havoc these establishments cause. Downtown hotels with vendor licences are magnets for those with addictions. They add nothing to the quality of life in the downtown. Their clientele have been allowed to behave in a manner that is not conducive to a vibrant and safe downtown.

Rather than debating issues such as diversion and treatment, I will make the case that simply restricting access to single king cans would be the easiest and least expensive way to make meaningful progress. I have asked the MLCC to do just that for the downtown hotels in question and it responded that it will not restrict the range of products its vendor licensees can sell.

I am not naïve enough to think that it will solve the problem of substance abuse, but it will be a step forward. At the very least it makes a statement that people are not willing to let the MLCC and a few hotel owners in the downtown dictate our ability to enjoy the downtown and to feel safe in our own city.

There are those who will claim that this solution is simplistic. My response is simply to ask, what has been accomplished in the last seven years? The answer of course is very little. The problem is much worse now than it has ever been.

There are good things happening in the downtown. However, these initiatives will suffer if we continue with the status quo. It is time for the residents of Winnipeg to acknowledge this problem and for the MLCC to become part of a constructive solution rather than a hidden and destructive problem.

David Rattray is co-owner of FineLine,

a Winnipeg-based communications company.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:58 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
My pleasure Mr.Galston..
Many thanks, OTL.

By the way, I saw you at the Downs this past Saturday. Would have come over to say hello, but I was pretty busy in between races trying to figure out betting, etc. It was my first time there, but I did manage to walk out of there with $8 more in my pocket, so it was ok.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:00 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Many thanks, OTL.

By the way, I saw you at the Downs this past Saturday. Would have come over to say hello, but I was pretty busy in between races trying to figure out betting, etc. It was my first time there, but I did manage to walk out of there with $8 more in my pocket, so it was ok.
No prob, I live at the track. Next time say hi, there's a beer in it for you.

P.S At least you made it out with $8 bucks, frickin jockeys are taking the bread right outta my mouth.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
No prob, I live at the track. Next time say hi, there's a beer in it for you.

P.S At least you made it out with $8 bucks, frickin jockeys are taking the bread right outta my mouth.
bahaha they must love yea there then

never been to a race myself

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:03 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

On a side note,

Galston if your brave enough to come back to the downs make sure you find way on up into the grandstand.

It's one of the best views of Winnipeg's skyline handsdown.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
On a side note,

Galston if your brave enough to come back to the downs make sure you find way on up into the grandstand.

It's one of the best views of Winnipeg's skyline handsdown.
ok i gota get out there how close does the nearest bus get?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:13 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ok i gota get out there how close does the nearest bus get?
On race days (Fri eve, Sat eve, Sun aftrnoon) there's a dedicated bus that runs from Polo Park to the Downs (?? Assiniboia Downs Express)

Check the schedule, more importantly private message me if your going to be heading down there.

It's a lot more enjoyable if you know how to read the program and actually understand what's going on.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
On race days (Fri eve, Sat eve, Sun aftrnoon) there's a dedicated bus that runs from Polo Park to the Downs (?? Assiniboia Downs Express)

Check the schedule, more importantly private message me if your going to be heading down there.

It's a lot more enjoyable if you know how to read the program and actually understand what's going on.
sure

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:07 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude View Post
Yes I did bold the sentence about Winnipeg's lack of willingness to take part. I agre with you completely, Winnipeg should take part. Even if we don't have great numbers th people deserve to know. In this case though I think Winnipeg probibly had prety good numbers.. so Winnipeg just threw away a chance to promote itself across the nation.

Just plain stupid.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Not specifically for Winnipeg but i was not sure where else to put it.

Manitoba News Release
June 8, 2007

MANITOBA ECONOMY
CONTINUES ITS STRONG GROWTH IN 2007
- - -
Labour Force Growth Leads the Nation; Total, Private and Full-time Job Growth Second Best in Canada: Selinger

Finance Minister Greg Selinger said today that Manitoba's economy continues its strong growth in 2007 including strong labour force growth, total job growth, private sector job growth and full-time job growth, according to the latest Statistics Canada survey.

"We continue to be encouraged by the impressive start to 2007," said Selinger. "This month, Manitoba's labour force leads the nation while our province ranks second in total job, private job and full-time job growth."

In May, Manitoba's labour force growth lead the nation with an increase of 5,700 people. Manitoba also ranked second best in the country with 2,700 total new jobs created in May, 1,600 in the private sector and 3,200 full-time jobs.

The minister noted that with this month's increases, the overall participation rate reached a record- high 70 per cent according to the Statistics Canada figures.

Since the start of the year, Manitoba's labour force grew by 15,300 people, while Manitoba's economy created 7,800 new jobs, 4,000 of which were in private sector. All of these indicators are above the national average.

The manufacturing sector also continues to do well with an increase of 4,200 jobs (6.4 per cent) over the past year, while the rest of Canada saw a decrease of 3.7 per cent.

"Since the start of 2007, Manitoba's job numbers have been above the national average in many categories and we expect the economy to do well for the rest of the year," said Selinger. "We are pleased that our manufacturing jobs continue to outperform, despite the high Canadian dollar.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Not specifically for Winnipeg but i was not sure where else to put it.

Manitoba News Release
June 8, 2007

MANITOBA ECONOMY
CONTINUES ITS STRONG GROWTH IN 2007
- - -
Labour Force Growth Leads the Nation; Total, Private and Full-time Job Growth Second Best in Canada: Selinger

Finance Minister Greg Selinger said today that Manitoba's economy continues its strong growth in 2007 including strong labour force growth, total job growth, private sector job growth and full-time job growth, according to the latest Statistics Canada survey.

"We continue to be encouraged by the impressive start to 2007," said Selinger. "This month, Manitoba's labour force leads the nation while our province ranks second in total job, private job and full-time job growth."

In May, Manitoba's labour force growth lead the nation with an increase of 5,700 people. Manitoba also ranked second best in the country with 2,700 total new jobs created in May, 1,600 in the private sector and 3,200 full-time jobs.

The minister noted that with this month's increases, the overall participation rate reached a record- high 70 per cent according to the Statistics Canada figures.

Since the start of the year, Manitoba's labour force grew by 15,300 people, while Manitoba's economy created 7,800 new jobs, 4,000 of which were in private sector. All of these indicators are above the national average.

The manufacturing sector also continues to do well with an increase of 4,200 jobs (6.4 per cent) over the past year, while the rest of Canada saw a decrease of 3.7 per cent.

"Since the start of 2007, Manitoba's job numbers have been above the national average in many categories and we expect the economy to do well for the rest of the year," said Selinger. "We are pleased that our manufacturing jobs continue to outperform, despite the high Canadian dollar.
I sent that to the Globe and Mail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan