HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Arctic Glacier on the clock to avoid big meltdown
By: Martin Cash
Posted: 05/11/2011 1:00 AM

WINNIPEG'S Arctic Glacier Income Fund has only two months left to figure out a way to refinance $90.6 million worth of bonds or be forced to convert it all to equity.
Since the market capitalization of the packaged ice company is only $57.9 million, that process would cause a massive meltdown in value for current equity holders.
The company has made it clear that if it cannot execute some kind of refinancing transaction, it will not be able to come up with the capital to redeem the bonds.
Arctic CEO Keith McMahon has been furiously trying to resolve outstanding legal and civil litigation that has dogged the company since a 2008 antitrust investigation in the United States.
He said that clearing up that uncertainty will make it far more likely to complete a refinancing transaction before the July 31 due date.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...121620764.html

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Little 'Peg biz catches Google's eye
Posted: 05/10/2011 1:00 AM

A small Winnipeg company is telling the tech world how to use Google's tools at the California company's big developer conference in San Francisco this week.
While BookedIn Online Scheduling may be a small Winnipeg company now, the plan since Day 1 is for something much bigger.
Getting invited to present at Google's global event is a coup for a little company that has only recently launched its application. But it's an indication of the potential power of the idea.
BookedIN's founder and owner, Mike Iwasiow, is the first to admit there are probably hundreds of different versions of scheduling software out there.
But there aren't any that have been designed from the beginning to eventually become the online site that people all over the world will use to book their haircut, car tuneup, dentist appointment, and the list goes on and on.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...121551069.html

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:30 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Appears that SETS gallery that used to be located near Broadway @ Garry/Fort has moved to Corydon Ave.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 1:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba connects with Minnesota on power deal

Posted: 05/25/2011 6:23 AM

WINNIPEG -- Manitoba Hydro has inked a power deal with Minnesota that will help that state reduce its carbon emissions.

Read more ...........
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...122577419.html
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 3:26 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Anybody else following this BOLD Vision series the Chamber is putting on in Free Press?

BOLD vision for city

By: Harry Schultz

Posted: 05/25/2011 1:00 AM - Winnipeg Free Press

As I watch the daily news, I am struck by the lack of long-range vision we have for the future of our community. A great deal of attention is paid to our potholes and mosquitoes, the latest crime stats and a police helicopter, a new roof at the local community club and the purchase of the latest diagnostic equipment at one of our hospitals.

I consider these types of things to be "maintenance."

As a taxpayer, I simply assume that roads will be fixed and our hospitals and schools will be maintained at some credible standard without staging a media scrum. I want our police and fire departments to have the necessary equipment to do their job. We don't need to have a newspaper story every time equipment is purchased.

On the other hand, I watch other communities place a much greater emphasis on strategic economic development that will raise the bar for future generations. I tip my hat to the local leaders associated with the human rights museum and the MTS Centre and the airport expansion, but, alas, these examples are too few.

Remember a time when Winnipeg was one of the economic bastions of our country?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...122570768.html

Last edited by 1ajs; May 26, 2011 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Brennan retiring from helm of Manitoba Hydro
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 08/17/2011 10:42 AM

WINNIPEG - Manitoba Hydro president Bob Brennan has announced his retirement after 47 years with the Crown corporation, the last 21 as its leader.
Brennan told the Free Press he will leave after a successor is chosen, likely in the next three or four months.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...127941623.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 8:16 PM

I have not found him to be a particularly pleasant gentleman in my personal encounters. Would be nice to have a slightly more charismatic CEO, considering the high profile public role Manitoba Hydro plays in this province.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 11:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

B.C. natural gas executive new president and CEO of Manitoba Hydro

By: The Canadian Press
Posted: 01/6/2012 11:29 AM

WINNIPEG - Manitoba Hydro has a new president and CEO.
Premier Greg Selinger says Scott Thomson will take over the provincial utility giant next month.
Thomson was recently an executive vice-president with FortisBC, the largest distributor of natural gas in British Columbia.
He has also held senior roles at Ernst & Young.
Selinger says Thomson has the experience needed to keep Manitoba Hydro profitable and transform it into a North American leader in renewable energy.
Former hydro CEO Bob Brennan stepped down in August after leading the Crown corporation for more than two decades.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...136816723.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Innovators compete for cash, exposure

WinnOvation could help with marketing

Posted: 01/19/2012 1:00 AM

On Wednesday afternoon, five Winnipeg technology companies showed off the scope of innovation and enterprise that exists in Winnipeg.
The fact most of them need additional capital and other strategic assistance to survive does not detract from the excellence of the work they're doing.
At the annual event, called WinnOvation, the five entrepreneurs presented their business ideas in hopes of winning a $5,000 prize. It was organized by Marshall Ring of BCC (Biomedical Commercialization Canada), the private sector, not-for-profit business incubator that was formed several years ago as a way to help germinate technology enterprises that might rise out of work being done at the National Research Council in Winnipeg.
While no one would turn down $5,000, the money was not the motivation for the event.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...137654713.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:01 PM
Heart of the Continent

Manitoba was one of only four provinces to see manufacturing gains in December. Good news:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...139443233.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 1:57 AM
I am a typical

I did an income tax calculator this morning. If I lived in Manitoba, I would have to pay $140 more in income taxes. Scandalous.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Yes because it is a privilege living here. Also, everyone in the world wants to live here, so we can afford to have high taxes because no one would dream of leaving the province.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
Heart of the Continent

I think he was being sarcastic...rightfully.Compared to most places in the world, it is a privilege living here.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:11 AM
I am a typical

$140 dollars isn't really much. Hardly enough to give me incentive to move to Ontario if I were living in Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 1:06 PM
BANNED

We are behind other provinces in the amount of disposable income (according to the Institute of Chartered Accountants - MB), silly me.

"To make things worse, the formula used to calculate how much equalization a province like Manitoba gets perversely rewards higher tax rates. This is one reason Manitobans end up paying the highest tax rates in Western Canada, and why the level of private investment in our economy is among the lowest in Canada." --Frontier Centre for Public Policy

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 3:18 PM
Heart of the Continent

Says the right wing think tank, but, that certainly isn't my nderstanding of the system....in fact, it isn't at all the way the system works.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Says the right wing think tank, but, that certainly isn't my nderstanding of the system....in fact, it isn't at all the way the system works.
Could the reason be that 50% of Manitobans are just CHEAP and the balance are just MISINFORMED.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:03 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
$140 dollars isn't really much. Hardly enough to give me incentive to move to Ontario if I were living in Manitoba.
But if it's a professional level salary the difference is probably thousands of dollars. So, all other things being equal, to attract a $100,000+ earner to Manitoba, a Manitoba company would have to add thousands to his salary just so he'd net what he earns elsewhere. Multiply that across a whole organization and your salary costs are quickly out of whack, leaving you less competitive, or (alternatively, if you decided not to gross up the salaries) you bleed your best people to other jurisdictions. Multiply that across a whole provincial economy and you've got Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:06 PM

What vid is saying though is that $140 isn't enough for him to pack up and move from his current home (if his current home was Manitoba).

Likewise, to someone who makes six figures, a few thousand likely isn't enough for someone to uproot. That's what I believe vid is getting at.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:26 AM
Starring as himself

No, but it doesn't have to be enough all on its own. All it need do, to have a significant impact, is to tip the balance in a significant number of cases, either way. Tax rate changes and interjurisdictional tax differentials have effects, even if, when you put it to people in terms of $x per year difference, they usually claim that such a small amount wouldn't influence their actions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan