HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:47 PM
Winnipeg

Who will fill the vacancies in 201 though? Should be some big players

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Most of the people in 201 are moving to the IKEA area once their new offices have been completed.
1345 Waverley at McGillivray?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:53 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I remember that Manitoba policy makers are going to release a strategic plan of increasing the momentum of private investment. Excellent news for me. In my opinion this is probably going to be one of the best news for Winnipeg

One thing I'd like to see is increased competition in the field of Blood Test Labs.

Currently have one monopoly company, Gamma-Dynacare.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.4585482

Last edited by LilZebra; Jan 29, 2019 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
One thing I'd like to see is increased competition in the field of Blood Test Labs.

Currently have one monopoly company, Gamma-Dynacare.

That sort of consolidation is what happens when you depend on private companies for health care services. It wasn't long ago that very lab was independent. The challenge is with the independent labs there was less focus on specific tasks. Creating a multi location centralized lab like we have now offers a lot of processing efficiencies.

The current health care restructuring could result in more situations like this.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:21 PM

Duraco Windows & Doors have shut their doors, leaving customer with lifetime warantees void and deposits on windows gone. sad to see another local company gone.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:18 PM

Seems to be a saturated market. There's umpteen choices for windows and doors.. Too bad they folded.

I put new windows in a two years ago and Duraco was expensive, compared to who I went with. And the quality was not outstanding. I got good windows for half the price of Duraco. And we're very happy with them. Quiet, no leaks.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:39 PM

Local news media are reporting that the Pollocks Hardware co-op on Main is in trouble and there's a slate attempting to take control to try and keep the store afloat in the face of mounting losses.

I admire their pluck but in some respects I think they're fighting a losing battle. Pollocks makes sense in a very densely populated neighbourhood where lots of people walk by on a busy shopping strip. North Main might have been that kind of a strip in the 30s, but it no longer is. The idea of running what amounts to a hipster Home Depot in the North End does not seem like a recipe for success.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The idea of running what amounts to a hipster Home Depot in the North End does not seem like a recipe for success.
LOL Are there any hispters around there? The North end could use some more hipsters coming in.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
LOL Are there any hispters around there? The North end could use some more hipsters coming in.
That's part of the issue, Pollock's doesn't have a very big base to draw from. There actually is a bit of a hipster contingent in the Luxton area (they even have their own café now), but apparently not enough to keep Pollock's afloat.

Pollock's closed the South Osborne store a year or two ago. I have to admit, I didn't do much to support it even though it was just a few blocks away from my house. A couple of purchases of screws and nails that may have added up to a dollar, but I'm not sure.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Local news media are reporting that the Pollocks Hardware co-op on Main is in trouble and there's a slate attempting to take control to try and keep the store afloat in the face of mounting losses.

I admire their pluck but in some respects I think they're fighting a losing battle. Pollocks makes sense in a very densely populated neighbourhood where lots of people walk by on a busy shopping strip. North Main might have been that kind of a strip in the 30s, but it no longer is. The idea of running what amounts to a hipster Home Depot in the North End does not seem like a recipe for success.
I remember it almost closing (or actually closed?) around 10 years ago. One of my bosses at the office I was working was one of the people behind turning it into a co-op. Kept talking about how great it was and the friendly customer service etc etc. She wasn't a hipster but was single and lived in the general area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:07 PM

The owner of the so-called hipster cafe is the wife of one of the people who want to take Pollocks over from the existing board.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
It was a bit of an up and coming neighbourhood when I lived there in the early 80s. I know a lot of people who have bought homes there, in the Luxton area east of Main. It is really quite nice.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Who will fill the vacancies in 201 though? Should be some big players
Well, there's no guarantee it would be big players...

Downtown office is OK in Winnipeg, not thriving. There hasn't been too much mobility among big companies moving to our downtown either.

I hope Harvard takes their time and gets the right tenants in at the right rents, otherwise all the good work of raising rents that True North and Artis have done gets a little torpedoed

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:26 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Seems to be a saturated market. There's umpteen choices for windows and doors.. Too bad they folded.

I put new windows in a two years ago and Duraco was expensive, compared to who I went with. And the quality was not outstanding. I got good windows for half the price of Duraco. And we're very happy with them. Quiet, no leaks.
Seems that they were not successful in several operating processes and strategies.

I’d say companies and businesses come and go, so they will probably start their another attempt in a different sector

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It was a bit of an up and coming neighbourhood when I lived there in the early 80s. I know a lot of people who have bought homes there, in the Luxton area east of Main. It is really quite nice.
Yes the Luxton area is quite nice. That whole stretch East of Main is nice. Those back streets are well kept and quite. I wouldn't mind living there.

Where is this cafe that people are talking about? I drive in that area all the time and I haven't seen it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Yes the Luxton area is quite nice. That whole stretch East of Main is nice. Those back streets are well kept and quite. I wouldn't mind living there.

Where is this cafe that people are talking about? I drive in that area all the time and I haven't seen it.
Pretty sure it's here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/191...!4d-97.1234637

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
All the way to St. John's Park is pretty nice. I lived on Emslie, a little known street.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That's it. It's a little below the radar.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 3:11 AM
BANNED

I have a mate who owns a rental property a bit further down that block of Luxton. Very nice area and relatively quiet too.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 4:09 AM

I was in Pollock's in the late fall 2018 for the first time and found that they have a lot of NOS stuff on the shelves that one does not see at the big box retailers.

While I was not planning on buying anything when I went in, I bought a few things as I will never see them sold here in Canada again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan