HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Fairbanks Court in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1
The article mentions that the hotel will be "5 star".

Should folks be concerned that too many luxury hotels might be in current development?

Luxury hotels are part of:

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

Are there really that many additional visitors to Chicago looking to spend $500+/night on a hotel room?

Here is the parking lot. I have a diggity dog somewhere just need to find it...if you look real close along the top of the cars in the parking lot you can see a one story building with a little read roof....that is it. This is looking West across Fairbanks.

And 355 will start soon.

No concern. It is all variable and market driven. Chicago is huge. The baby boom retirement "just" started. Baby boomers weren't just 1 or 2 years...it is like 15 years...and they are all going into the same...time to leave the old homested mood. It could slow down. But we are looking at buildings that will not become to market for 2-3 years.....

If the banking industry is really this stupid, as some think, then we will have a huge crash like the 1930's. But I doubt it.

Last edited by Chicago3rd; Oct 25, 2006 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
And 355 will start soon.

No concern. It is all variable and market driven. Chicago is huge. The baby boom retirement "just" started. Baby boomers weren't just 1 or 2 years...it is like 15 years...and they are all going into the same...time to leave the old homested mood. It could slow down. But we are looking at buildings that will not become to market for 2-3 years.....

If the banking industry is really this stupid, as some think, then we will have a huge crash like the 1930's. But I doubt it.
Sorry - having a brain freeze. What's 355?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop
Sorry - having a brain freeze. What's 355?

The Streeter II I believe.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 1:06 PM
New Yorker for life

** Removed for copyright infringement **

-Dylan Leblanc

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jul 25, 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 1:21 PM

Nice, another 700 almost 800 foot tall tower!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 1:29 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
The Streeter II I believe.
Gotcha. Do you know if Walsh is building that one as well? Will it be rental like the first Streeter? I'm assuming so, given all of the other condo competition in the pipeline and comparatively less rental competition...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 1:32 PM
you know where I'll be

-Dylan Leblanc

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jul 25, 2007 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:04 PM
Registered

Yes, that's true (it's certainly happened before ). But you have to wonder, with so many amazing opportunities for expression, why would SCB want to repeat the same ideas so much? Their firm may have to wait another 30 years to see this kind of activity.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:55 PM

It looks alright but it definatly looks like a hybrid of MO and the Heritage. It appeares to share the convex taller portion and concaved lower half of the Heritage. IMO these curves will look much better with a glass curtain wall than painted concrete.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i agree. this one looks like a new and improved heritage. very similar massing, just with an all glass curtain wall. too bad they couldn't have given us this one facing grant/millennium instead of the heritage. not that the heritage is terrible or anything, this one just looks better.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:49 PM
The City

This building, as the article says, will have 300-320 below-grade parking spaces with 370 hotel+residential units.

Does the zoning for 1:1 parking not apply to hotel units? Just curious.

Either way, I'm certainly a fan of fewer parking spots

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 4:14 PM

The article mentions that 560 N Fairbanks will include some retail.

I think it will be interesting to see how much retail growth develops along Fairbanks/Columbus in the next few years

Michigan Ave seems to be pretty saturated nowadays with retail, so its logical to assume that another North-South avenue might pick up some of the slack.

Fairbanks/Columbus seems a more natural locale for retail, IMHO, than some of the streets the City's been touting to the west.

Weren't State and/or LaSalle supposed to be growing into retail havens?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1
The article mentions that 560 N Fairbanks will include some retail.

I think it will be interesting to see how much retail growth develops along Fairbanks/Columbus in the next few years

Michigan Ave seems to be pretty saturated nowadays with retail, so its logical to assume that another North-South avenue might pick up some of the slack.

Fairbanks/Columbus seems a more natural locale for retail, IMHO, than some of the streets the City's been touting to the west.

Weren't State and/or LaSalle supposed to be growing into retail havens?
I would say state street is already there, LaSalle is just an interesting street, it gets lots of traffic but has several undeveloped lots, lots of development potential for the whole near north/river north area, west of dearborn and south of Chicago avenue. I wonder why development hasn't been faster; are landowners/developers holding out hope to put together some highrise proposals? why not fill in the underutilized lots with mid-rises as the current zoning mostly specifies?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 4:55 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

50-story, multi-use tower brings big news to Streeterville

-Dylan Leblanc

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jul 25, 2007 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
I would say state street is already there, LaSalle is just an interesting street, it gets lots of traffic but has several undeveloped lots, lots of development potential for the whole near north/river north area, west of dearborn and south of Chicago avenue. I wonder why development hasn't been faster; are landowners/developers holding out hope to put together some highrise proposals? why not fill in the underutilized lots with mid-rises as the current zoning mostly specifies?
There are encouraging signs for that stretch of La Salle, though. The highrise at the corner of La Salle and Superior was topped out not too long ago. There seems to be some activity on the site of those horrible little one story, beige strips that currently house Fogo de Chao. The north building has been vacant for a while. Anyone know what's happening there? Finally, the furniture store adjascent to the Infinity dealer (around grand?) recently converted to a hip looking restaurant.

Plus, don't forget rock 'n rock MacDonalds. That hulk and the accompanying arena sized parking lot really class up that section of La Salle.

I'd say that strech is poised for an upturn in sidewalk activity. Hopefully good construction and businesses keeps flowing.

Taft

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 5:13 PM

^Thanks for all the info marvel. I definitely dig this building. I cant believe another 700+ footer. That area in streeterville is becoming dense as hell.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 5:49 PM

Wow....a rooftop pool over 700 ft above the ground? That will be another great Chicago first.

Sounds like a great place to party.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 7:33 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Another week, another 787-footer.

*yawns*
One day this will stop and we will all cry.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 8:02 PM

Will this delicious madness ever end?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 8:54 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto
That area in streeterville is becoming dense as hell.
Definitely. You've got 600 N. Fairbanks, Streeter, Streeter II, 550 St. Clair, Cityfront Plaza (potentially 3 buildings), Avenue East, even 600 N. LSD. Here's another elevation drawing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive