HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:21 PM

Skylar, sober enough to read Riverman's posts, drunk enough to enjoy them.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:23 PM

My mom made the same comments last night about the bike lanes. "why are they doing that, taking away lanes of traffic?" I love her to death, but I think it's a generational thing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Worrying about being considered an a**h*** is the main reason why I always find myself very conservative when using my bell.
Recently did tons of riding in NYC on their Citibike bike-share system. Ringing is a bell is all a part of it there. You ring it, people step to the right and you pass.

Here is seems people frown at you if/when you ring a bell - yet it is just courtesy really...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:18 PM

^ It's funny how a normal manoeuvre like ringing a bike bell as a courtesy is taken as an act of near-aggression here...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
My mom made the same comments last night about the bike lanes. "why are they doing that, taking away lanes of traffic?" I love her to death, but I think it's a generational thing.
Common sense improves with age, nothing to do with generational, if you're hacking bike lanes into roadways for a few hundred at most to use for six months of the year is that really the best use to scarce city tax dollars?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
There is supposed to be more moderation now so at least if he goes off on one his deep end rants there's a greater possibility he'll get called on it. But yes, I agree, he is a rather pathetic creature.
He doesn't even like the city. Neither does rrskylar, or Urban Recluse. They come to troll, it's as simple as that.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:48 PM

Right, right. I forgot. I'm so stupid.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't get how the boomers still think "The more lanes of traffic, the better." Back in their heyday in the 70s & 80s they started plowing as many vehicles into downtown Winnipeg as possible and knocking down buildings to put up more parking. Not surprisingly this is the same time frame during which downtown Winnipeg emptied out and died. Yet they still don't see the correlation.

Most people over 40 here still seem to think:
"More Lanes + More Parking = Successful City"
Jacobs-esque urbanists would say giving an area over to traffic and parking like that will kill it and the case study of downtown Winnipeg seems to verify that, yet many still don't get it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
He doesn't even like the city. Neither does rrskylar, or Urban Recluse. They come to troll, it's as simple as that.
Some of you are something else, criticize anything the city does an somehow you're anti Winnipeg. This is a forum to discuss issues of course everyone is not always in agreement ( big surprise to a few), maybe I should be like the other 95% sheeple in here and cheerlead for the opening of P & M despite the fact 70% of Winnipeg citizens disagree, maybe a neutered forum is what some of you wish for!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Common sense improves with age, nothing to do with generational, if you're hacking bike lanes into roadways for a few hundred at most to use for six months of the year is that really the best use to scarce city tax dollars?
City tax dollars are scarce specifically because up to this point we've spent far too much of them on cars which require by far the most cost-intensive infrastructure per user.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I don't get how the boomers still think "The more lanes of traffic, the better." Back in their heyday in the 70s & 80s they started plowing as many vehicles into downtown Winnipeg as possible and knocking down buildings to put up more parking. Not surprisingly this is the same time frame during which downtown Winnipeg emptied out and died. Yet they still don't see the correlation.

Jacobs-esque urbanists would say giving an area over to traffic and parking like that will kill it and the case study of downtown Winnipeg seems to verify that, yet many still don't get it.
That's all fine and dandy had Winnipeg had the foresight to design and develop proper regional roadway networks, instead Winnipeg sat and did nothing as the city grew from 500K to over 800K. The current roadway network all but dictates moving vehicles through downtown like it or not. Not sure what more or less surface parking has to do with anything.

I can get around five times larger Mpls./ St.P faster than I can in Winnipeg and that city is a much and more liveable than Winnipeg, proper infrastructure also goes hand in hand with what makes a city good!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:09 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
I can get around five times larger Mpls./ St.P faster than I can in Winnipeg and that city is a much and more liveable than Winnipeg, proper infrastructure also goes hand in hand with what makes a city good!
Of course, how fast you can get from one side of the city to the other is definitely the most important metric when it comes to urban areas.

On the subject of Minneapolis, it's in the process of getting a lot worse for you and Riverman:

http://www.startribune.com/plan-for-...val/313297271/

Quote:
A plan to add another 30 miles of protected bikeways to Minneapolis streets by 2020 was approved by the City Council on Friday.

The update to the city's long-term bike plan follows a year of discussion and public input on which areas are most in need of safer spaces for bike traffic. The proposed bike lanes would be separated by vehicle traffic by buffers of planters, curbs, parked cars or plastic posts.

The plan suggests adding in the new bike lanes in phases, beginning with 15 miles of streets. Some of those proposed updates already have received funding in the city's budget, but the first phase is estimated to require between $2.4 million and $3 million in additional funds.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Of course, how fast you can get from one side of the city to the other is definitely the most important metric when it comes to urban areas.

On the subject of Minneapolis, it's in the process of getting a lot worse for you and Riverman:

http://www.startribune.com/plan-for-...val/313297271/
The horror................. The horror...................

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:

I don't think that boomers think "the more lanes of traffic, the better". I think many think, rightly or wrongly, "traffic has been getting worse over the years, why are we taking lanes out of commission for something that is lightly used". I don't agree necessarily, but I get where they're coming from.

What I find more troubling is that many forumers seem almost flabergasted that others might not share their opinion 100% (especially some hyper-urbanist opinions that aren't yet mainstream). Personally, I don't agree with a lot of the things Skylar or Riverman say (and yes, some of their comments come across as rude), but I do recognize that they do represent what a lot of everyday Winnipeggers feel and say. Instead of saying "I can't believe that's what they think! Unbelievable!", try to understand where it's coming from, and find some middle ground. Because they're the types of people we're going to have to convince of our urban ideals if we want anything to change.

I've definitely noticed that over my 15+ years of browsing this site, it's become more of an echo-chamber than ever. You can see that by the overwhelmingly similar responses to polls and comments. It's too bad, because I think healthy debate and reflecting on our own sometimes dogmatic ideals of urbanism will help move things along in this city, rather than just being a forum that preaches to the choir.

/rant

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I've definitely noticed that over my 15+ years of browsing this site, it's become more of an echo-chamber than ever. You can see that by the overwhelmingly similar responses to polls and comments. It's too bad, because I think healthy debate and reflecting on our own sometimes dogmatic ideals of urbanism will help move things along in this city, rather than just being a forum that preaches to the choir.
/rant
The difficulty, I think, is that it is difficult to have a healthy debate when the core assumptions that underlie one side of the debate have been proven incorrect. That, then, is not a healthy debate. It's arguing with a wall.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
That's all fine and dandy had Winnipeg had the foresight to design and develop proper regional roadway networks, instead Winnipeg sat and did nothing as the city grew from 500K to over 800K. The current roadway network all but dictates moving vehicles through downtown like it or not. Not sure what more or less surface parking has to do with anything.

Mpls is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US. Yes our road network is poorly planned and forces traffic downtown. So what I don't understand is, instead of using your time and energy to push for improvements to traffic arteries and create an inner ring road, you spend it all having hissy fits about bikes. We had a crappy road network long before there were any bike lanes, a handful of bike lanes here and there is not going to make any difference. The peanuts we spend on bikes every year would have virtually no impact if it were redirected into the road budget. It's practically a rounding error. If you want better roads, fine, then focus your energy on that instead of yelling at guys on bikes.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I don't think that boomers think "the more lanes of traffic, the better". I think many think, rightly or wrongly, "traffic has been getting worse over the years, why are we taking lanes out of commission for something that is lightly used". I don't agree necessarily, but I get where they're coming from.

What I find more troubling is that many forumers seem almost flabergasted that others might not share their opinion 100% (especially some hyper-urbanist opinions that aren't yet mainstream). Personally, I don't agree with a lot of the things Skylar or Riverman say (and yes, some of their comments come across as rude), but I do recognize that they do represent what a lot of everyday Winnipeggers feel and say. Instead of saying "I can't believe that's what they think! Unbelievable!", try to understand where it's coming from, and find some middle ground. Because they're the types of people we're going to have to convince of our urban ideals if we want anything to change.

/rant
Nice post. Too many Jane Jacobs disciples frequenting this forum especially in the Winnipeg threads, hate to burst your bubble but here's a good article on her.

https://business.financialpost.com/o...t-her-is-wrong

Sorry that the post is probably in the wrong thread but just continuing the dialogue.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Some of you are something else, criticize anything the city does an somehow you're anti Winnipeg. This is a forum to discuss issues of course everyone is not always in agreement ( big surprise to a few), maybe I should be like the other 95% sheeple in here and cheerlead for the opening of P & M despite the fact 70% of Winnipeg citizens disagree, maybe a neutered forum is what some of you wish for!
At a minimum, don't treat your fellow forumers like fools. You know damn well you criticize "everything" about the city, bar none. Don't come on here and try to present yourself as a constructive force that only occasionally makes negative comments.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Nice post. Too many Jane Jacobs disciples frequenting this forum especially in the Winnipeg threads, hate to burst your bubble but here's a good article on her.

https://business.financialpost.com/o...t-her-is-wrong

Sorry that the post is probably in the wrong thread but just continuing the dialogue.
This author doesn't try to debunk Jacobs or anything, he just says many lefties incorrectly use her as an excuse to be anti-change and anti-development (I'm thinking of the anti-gentrification goons who hate when nice shops and condos move in to the inner city). I don't think anyone here uses Jacobs that way. Like, who on this forum is against high-rise towers!? We're talking about cars and their impact on cities which is not something mentioned in this article, at all. This is a good case of why you should read the actual article not just the title.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:17 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
This author doesn't try to debunk Jacobs or anything, he just says many lefties incorrectly use her as an excuse to be anti-change and anti-development (I'm thinking of the anti-gentrification goons who hate when nice shops and condos move in to the inner city). I don't think anyone here uses Jacobs that way. Like, who on this forum is against high-rise towers!? We're talking about cars and their impact on cities which is not something mentioned in this article, at all. This is a good case of why you should read the actual article not just the title.
No but we might be against a highrise tower if it were totally inappropriate for a site.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan