HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:17 PM

The steel framing is all up at the new Kelseys location on Kenmount Rd. I guess it will probably open later in the year. Here is a link as to what the the finished store will likely look like from their website.

http://www.kelseys.ca/about_us.php#

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 5:38 PM

Just reading in the city council approvals of a new Burger King on 38-42 Ropewalk Lane.
I think that is right between the new KFC there and the Tim Horton's. What's with all the Ropewalk Lane developments lately. There is a also a new gas bar and convenience store going there too. Go figure.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
A wise decision. They had their chance and botched it by offering a mediocre and inconsistent eating experience, though I have heard good reviews too but seems like the negative reviews were far more numerous. Not a good way to start off building an untested brand.
But.. but.. they've been a 'Family Tradition since 1955'.

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 12:45 PM

L&M was style over substance. A slick building but probably the saltiest burger I ever had.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
L&M was style over substance. A slick building but probably the saltiest burger I ever had.
They decribed themselves as a French/Italian restaurant and "classic European". What were they doing selling burgers?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 1:32 PM

You know, I always found that a little strange. L&M were promoting this tag line before they opened. So I figured "ok here is an established business". But when I googled their name there wasn't a single thing showing up in online searches to reflect the restaurant supposed history. So I'm just gonna chalk it up to them creating a fake history to build interest in their brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
But.. but.. they've been a 'Family Tradition since 1955'.

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Just reading in the city council approvals of a new Burger King on 38-42 Ropewalk Lane.
I think that is right between the new KFC there and the Tim Horton's. What's with all the Ropewalk Lane developments lately. There is a also a new gas bar and convenience store going there too. Go figure.
I have to wonder if another approved Gas Bar/Convenience Store/Restaurant will ever get built. Several have been approved in the last couple of years. The latest is the Blackmarsh @ Columbus site across from Dominion. A similar operation was approved for Old Placentia/Brookfield @ Commonwealth, Kenmount @ Allston, Southland Boulevard @ Great Southern Drive, Torbay Road @ Hebron Way, and the redeveloped Irving site on Commonwealth Avenue in Mount Pearl. Including Ropewalk, that's now 7 and counting! Has anybody heard anything on any of these sites?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I have to wonder if another approved Gas Bar/Convenience Store/Restaurant will ever get built. Several have been approved in the last couple of years. The latest is the Blackmarsh @ Columbus site across from Dominion. A similar operation was approved for Old Placentia/Brookfield @ Commonwealth, Kenmount @ Allston, Southland Boulevard @ Great Southern Drive, Torbay Road @ Hebron Way, and the redeveloped Irving site on Commonwealth Avenue in Mount Pearl. Including Ropewalk, that's now 7 and counting! Has anybody heard anything on any of these sites?
You make a very valid point. I don't know what holds these things up especially when they get approved to move forward.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:11 AM

Mustang Sally's is opening up in the former Taj Mahal Restaurant, their sign was recently approved by the heritage advisory committee.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Mustang Sally's is opening up in the former Taj Mahal Restaurant, their sign was recently approved by the heritage advisory committee.
I hope it is as good as it was back when it was on Queen Street. I used to love that place!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I hope it is as good as it was back when it was on Queen Street. I used to love that place!
what kind of food was it?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad709 View Post
what kind of food was it?
It was setup like Subway, but you could get your toppings on a wrap, flat-bread pizza, nachos, rice or pasta. Awesome selection of veggies and sauces. Their nachos were amazing!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 1:27 AM

After catching up on 5 pages of info, boy am I ever hungry!! I can't wait to try out all the new places, providing the rumours are true.

Starbucks moving from Atlantic Place to 351 will be a welcome change, and hopefully they will have some outdoor seating or a similarly sweet view like AP does now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO79 View Post
After catching up on 5 pages of info, boy am I ever hungry!! I can't wait to try out all the new places, providing the rumours are true.

Starbucks moving from Atlantic Place to 351 will be a welcome change, and hopefully they will have some outdoor seating or a similarly sweet view like AP does now.
They will lose the view, only view by the sounds of it will be Water Street. There may be outdoor seating, unfortunately it's rarely fit to sit outside around here.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
They will lose the view, only view by the sounds of it will be Water Street. There may be outdoor seating, unfortunately it's rarely fit to sit outside around here.
There will be a 'view' along the glass wall on the east side, albeit of the new Keg.

I'm surprised they are closing the Atlantic Place location though, as I don't imagine 351 sales would cannibalize AP at all.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie_by View Post
There will be a 'view' along the glass wall on the east side, albeit of the new Keg.

I'm surprised they are closing the Atlantic Place location though, as I don't imagine 351 sales would cannibalize AP at all.
Yeah. The folk at AP who typically drink Starbucks aren't going to walk down water street on their 10-15 minute break. It's an odd move for sure, especially considering AP is the largest downtown office to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 12:23 PM

If you use twitter, you can follow the location of Blue on Water's food truck, called Hitchen the Kitchen (@HitchTheKitch). They have been on Elizabeth Avenue this week in the old Canadian Tire parking lot. I haven't tried it yet but hear it is really good.

Glad to see food trucks on the move here and not just in fixed locations! Also, food trucks that sell food other than hot dogs, pizza or fries, dressing and gravy!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:48 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet but hear it is really good.
The food is pretty good. I had a "smash burger" a few weeks ago and it was fresh, moist, and yummy.

I really want to see more unique food trucks, but opening them takes guts / money / vision (I'd also argue luck, as Newfoundlanders aren't the most supportive community to local entrepreneurs... Sometimes it feels like we are wanting people to fail). There is a mini donut food truck in Halifax (Ol School Donuts) that looks amazing -- it's a retrofitted old school bus. In BC there is Tacofino, which might be the best food (truck or restaurant) I've had in the lower mainland. St. John's had Long Dicks, but they seemed to have more issues with the city then customers. I heard a rumour of a middle eastern food truck but it never happened.

tl;dr: More food trucks would be swell.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:25 PM

Also, Beavertails is set up at the canteen in Bannerman Park.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Also, Beavertails is set up at the canteen in Bannerman Park.
nice, was wondering if it was gonna come back after the popup next to jack astors last year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's