HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:09 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Is there no land downtown that can be developed rather than using older building to revamp them?
Not in that specific location.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
I'm more of a lurker. Haven't posted in a long time. However this is huge news. I am surprised no one has posted this. This project has received tentative approval from the city manager, who has final say over the HRDC. This project is moving forward it seems.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...pt-4508657.php

Blasted by critics and the city's historic review board, the Joske's hotel project has been given new life by City Manager Sheryl Sculley, who came out in support of the project late last week.

Sculley's backing, however, is contingent on reducing its scale, as envisioned by the developer: a hotel and time share that would reach more than 20 stories above the historic Joske's building at Rivercenter mall.

On Friday, Sculley informed the mall's owner, New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., that she approves of the concept of a hotel at the site but that its architects must return to the Historic and Design Review Commission for another go-around.

In a 6-2 vote May 1, the commission denied plans for the high-rise at Alamo and Commerce streets, calling its height inappropriate, given its proximity to the Alamo.

As city manager, Sculley has the final say on the HDRC's recommendations.

---

In her letter of approval, Sculley sided with the second option, which would reduce the smaller tower by two stories and increase the larger tower by one story. It also stipulates that the additions be set back 16 feet from the Joske's cornice line.
----

So it looks like the tower may actually INCREASE in height in it's final design. This is the option the city manager, who has final approval, favors. This would push the project to over 400' in my opinion. This is truly a game changer for SA.
But just to be clear, she hasn't given the project final approval yet.

"On Friday, Sculley informed the mall's owner, New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., that she approves of the concept of a hotel at the site but that its architects must return to the Historic and Design Review Commission for another go-around."

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz2TETnJmtt

If I'm parsing correctly, she approves the concept (one of the excuses given by the Commission for denial) but is leaving the HDRC free to tweak the design as they see fit.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:14 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post

"On Friday, Sculley informed the mall's owner, New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., that she approves of the concept of a hotel at the site but that its architects must return to the Historic and Design Review Commission for another go-around."

If I'm parsing correctly, she approves the concept (one of the excuses given by the Commission for denial) but is leaving the HDRC free to tweak the design as they see fit.
She's the final say. Her approving of the project and recommending the alternative one design speaks volumes. Basically, the developer will submit the 31 story design, more than likely get approval, if not, it then falls to Sculley who will then in all likelihood, approve it.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:59 PM

Like I said a game changer for SA. Could this be the best new building for SA since the Weston or Marriott? The east side of DT is going to look like an actual DT with the Marriott, GH, TOA, and this building all over 400'.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post

It will be tweaked but not radically changed. Remember the hdrc was actually split 4-4 on the previous design so they only need one more yes vote. Plus the city manager is in favor of it and has actual final approval not the hdrc. The smaller tower will be reduced and the larger one increased most likely. Done deal. Again can not be emphasized enough. The hdrc doesn't have final approval the city mgr does and she approves the project.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 5:50 PM
Meh

I'm not really sure what they're trying to show here, but this lists the height as 336 feet and 346 feet. It's comparing the heights on whether or not they reduce the podium setback.

http://therivardreport.com/hemisfair...or-bold-steps/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:00 PM

So they reduced the height? thats unfortunate, I was really hoping they would have scaled back the timeshare portion and increased the height of the tower... On the bright side this building will still be a great addition to SA and may even be the start of more high rise development near the Alamo area, especially the area behind the Alamo.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:26 PM

Those heights are of the building/hotel itself. Not the total height.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoyouwantandwhy View Post
So they reduced the height? thats unfortunate, I was really hoping they would have scaled back the timeshare portion and increased the height of the tower... On the bright side this building will still be a great addition to SA and may even be the start of more high rise development near the Alamo area, especially the area behind the Alamo.
No. Those renderings are the alternative plans they submitted to HDRC two weeks ago. Sculley choose option 2, which as shown is the smaller building is reduced two stories and the taller tower is increased 1 story.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:38 PM

Alright thats great.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:58 PM
James

Ok now I see it. It will be 346, possibly, plus the height of the joskes/dillards building.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Ok now I see it. It will be 346, possibly, plus the height of the joskes/dillards building.
Yes.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 3:25 PM
Meh

Ok, I see. I was kind of confused myself. I didn't believe that was the overall height either. I also measured with a piece of paper. If you click on the link below that rendering I posted above, the link has a slightly larger version of it. There's several setbacks that have their lengths measured. I used those to measure since they're the same scale. One is 32 feet and another is 11 feet. I measured, and the timeshare/podium section seems to be about 74 feet tall. So applying that number to the 336 foot height would be 410 feet and it would be 420 feet if they went with the 346 foot height for the tower section. 420 feet would make it just 4 feet shorter than the Grand Hyatt.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:24 PM

So a tower that is as tall as the Grand Hyatt, but much more appeasing to the eye sounds great to me! Now I wonder what the time line for this project is...

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoyouwantandwhy View Post
the start of more high rise development near the Alamo area, especially the area behind the Alamo.
You can't build tall buildings behind the Alamo. It's not allowed.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 6:26 PM
Meh

^It's too bad they couldn't extend the riverwalk and punch it through/under the Rivercenter garage and then turn that parking lot east of the Alamo into a park with a lagoon similar to Discovery Green in Houston and Butler Park in Austin. It would "bookend" downtown with two parks at either end - Milam Square being the other one on the other side of downtown.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 9:31 AM

haha my bad, I meant urban development in general. Though I forgot that high rise development wasn't allowed. Honestly, I would love to see that entire area behind the alamo develop with similar architecture to the crocket hotel or the emily morgan... Maybe add a little square in the middle.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 10:59 AM

Downtown parks are a haven for the homeless. How with this hemisphere park be any different.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:26 PM
Meh

I think that area probably wouldn't be a homeless hangout. I've never seen any in Hemisphere Park. But you're right, I have seen them in Milam Square for sure.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Downtown parks are a haven for the homeless. How with this hemisphere park be any different.
If that statement were true, Hemisfair (you can't even spell it correctly?) Park would already be a haven for the homeless. It's not. There's only one downtown park that is a hot spot for homeless, we all know which one it is, and the city is taking steps to change that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio