HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 9:38 AM

Very nice. Looks like a golf resort you might see in the Hill Country, minus the golf courses

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 11:24 PM
Paradise

Has River North slowed or are they waiting on 1221 Broadway to catalyst their growth or something?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Has River North slowed or are they waiting on 1221 Broadway to catalyst their growth or something?
They are waiting for the economic climate to change. But seriously, what has happened in that area to think that something has slowed?

River North was put in place to encourage development in that area and it happened right when the housing bubble burst and the economy went in the toilet. So nothing has really happened besides the river extension. And, no, the Pearl is not part of River North. That development was under way before and despite River North.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:58 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
They are waiting for the economic climate to change.

River North was put in place to encourage development in that area and it happened right when the housing bubble burst and the economy went in the toilet. So nothing has really happened besides the river extension.
That's all I needed to know, thank you. Just wanted to make sure nothing in their plans were begin dropped or changed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 3:31 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

River North is still a go. I noticed HDRC is working on giving historic designation to some of the buildings in the area in anticipation of new development in the area.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:59 AM

Its important to not think of River North as one holistic development that happens all at once, but as more of a master plan to guide future projects. In professional jargon I guess you could call it a "framework", but it still depends on investors and demand for housing, office and retail, which is scarce even in areas of the market that are far more proven than downtown. At this rate it may take 20 years to get River North "built out", or it may take 5. Its not going to happen overnight.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 3:26 AM

More River North news. On HDRC's Oct. 6th agenda.
It seems like we're going to see quite a bit of activity in RN and the Broadway corridor in the next few months. And looks like the HDRC has decided to not deem all of the buildings on Broadway "historical" so that might help with future request to demo.

Quote:
Luxury Restaurant Concept

APPLICANT: Douglas Architects
OWNER: Cross & Co.
TYPE OF WORK: New Construction & Landscaping
REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting conceptual approval for the following:
1) A patio style restaurant along the river which will include temporary structures, form which food and drinks will
be served.
2) Construction of restroom facilities.
3) Parking Lot.
4) Landscaping.

cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Oct 2, 2010 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 5:25 AM

Wow! Its funny that all these developments seem to be coming at once. But, I'm so excited about Weissman's new "restaurant." It's going to be so unique for that area of San Antonio, and will really compliment the 1221 apartments.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 10:05 PM

The proposed Luxury Restaurant on the new River Walk is really nice. And what a difference it will make! We are finally starting to see the development begin. With 1221 construction FINALLY starting, and the fact that the Pearl Development is really taking off... this area will boom in the coming years!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:28 AM

River North/Pearl "Before".... sort of

I went to get a bite to eat at Timbo's and decided to walk around. Not that I needed any more convincing, but I get more and more excited of the potential for that area by just walking around. Everything just seems to fit, and seems much closer than an aerial map view can show. There are lots of people running, biking, walking, sight-seeing, hanging out at the VFW, SAMA, etc.
I started off at the Koehler Garage and walked down to the VFW; 1221 will be huge for the area(as if we haven't said that enough). 400-500 residents adding the activity down there daily will give it the day to day "normal" feeling; more people walking pets, walking, hanging out, etc. It really is just right there.

Café des Artistes at SAMA

I turned right around and took this photo.... there are a couple of access points to get between 1221 and the river.

They really are close to each other. You can see the awning for the cafe on the left, and of course, the shell of 1221 on the right.

At this point, I'm a few feet from Jones Ave, which means that if I turn 180', I should see the lot where the "Luxury Restaurant is going to be located...

I walked a couple more minutes to the VFW (figuring that was a little under a mile) and turned around to go north up to Brack Golf Course.
It was a bit of a maze; I had to go up to street level at Josephine and took the bike lane under 281 around the blind curve which led me to this....

It felt great to have that open space there, even though traffic was right behind me, it felt good to not see all that pavement. I kept going, knowing that this led to Ave. B, which should put me right behind the Butter Krust Bakery...

It really is "just right there." Imagine a 3 story addition to that side right there, the loading dock is getting demo'd. I walked a bit past this tiny parking lot on Ave. B and got to the corner of Josephine. I looked southeast and this was my view....

sure, doesn't look like much more than a couple of empty lots and Sam's... but that is where the 7-story project is going and a bit farther past that, possibly 1800. I walked under 281 and walked past Josephine St. Cafe and saw that someone is taking up the old Liberty Bar space....

This concludes the walking tour. It may not look like much, but I like to get "before's" and "after's" to get true comparisons of an area. Consider these the "before's."
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:47 PM

1221 will be huge for that area!

Sorry, couldn't help it...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:23 PM
James

Great pics Miah.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:29 AM

Yes, great pics and updates. Can't wait to see the "afters". Maybe in about 2-3 years.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 8:58 PM

Can someone please please please go to the grand opening at the CIA at Pearl this Saturday and take lots of pictures?

I haven't been in town for a while and want to see the finished new building and how far the amphitheater is.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 7:55 PM

Great pics. I think in the next year that area is going to BOOM, can't you just feel it? I can't wait to live down there!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 8:18 PM
Paradise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHiRQgSUX8
Does anyone have any more info on the new Fine Arts School in the Performing Arts District at 1:35?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 5:49 AM

Seeing Weissman's cargo container concept unfolding by the river got me thinking: why not have container-inspired businesses and housing in the lands adjacent to the river by the 1221 Apartments and the Roy Smith bridge? I think its a great idea, considering you'd get innovative architecture, and low-cost building materials, which will then hopefully allow for lower-rents in there. If I had the financial means, I'd buy the land and hand it over to Poteet Architects and Lake Flato and let 'em work their magic.

I think it would complement the existing 1221 buildings rather nicely.

Also, I've been walking around the SAMA grounds a lot lately, especially the back of the property by the new river stuff they've built, and I've realized that they have some really great French-inspired public spaces that work linearly along the river. If they opened these up, and if they allowed more restaurants in the older structures fronting the river, we could have a really great 24-hour pedestrian walkway which would also fill a need for relaxed park space if more residential is built around there. Does anyone know any past projects where private land is opened to the public like that?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:21 PM

Private "areas" are opened up all the time; just think of the "walkway" through RiverCenter Mall, or the Hyatt, or any "public" breeze/walkway for that matter.
I think that with a little creative remodeling and some changing of the access points, it could happen. I think that the plan for SAMA is to eventually have a walkway/plaza space from the front all the way to the River across the VFW and Turner Club.

Oh, and besides bringing up old, bad memories of long days overseas, my second though when I saw these containers was that this would be great over by the rail yard on the northwest corner of Dignowity.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

Anybody have an update?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 6:19 AM

So looks like the area north of the Brooklyn Ave bridge, along 9th St. might get a new hotel.

This is going up for approval from the HDRC soon as per the HDRC agenda.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio