HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:23 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it will more than likely require a very costly environmental remediation after the gas is gone just to redevelop anything on that site...

Perhaps the owners of that Petro Can are a little afraid of what might be uncovered after they sell that site.
My guess it will turn out that fuel from the gas station has migrated south and filled up the entire fort site. Then the whole block will get closed off and will have to be excavated to 10 metres removing the remaining foundation of the fort and killing the appartment complex on the adjacent parcel of land. Now that would funny.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:49 PM

This could work out very well for the city. One less surface lot, a new heritage site, a new downtown highrise apartment, and we could be rid of that Petro station. I'm sure the details will change, but this sounds good to me.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we still need a gast station downtown though.....

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:42 PM
I am a typical

You have plenty of other parking lots that can be gas stations. Pick one! Any one! Hell, have twenty! We have plenty!!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
we still need a gast station downtown though.....
You know I am surprised that someone in this world hasn't built an express gas station into a parkade. For one thing it would hide the unsightly gas station and you would have a gas bar as a storefront.

anybody think this would work?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 11:07 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
actualy the friends had been working on this for over 10 years
Really? I thought it was just brought up off and on by other the historical society and not Friends.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 11:23 PM
visionary

Everybody just needs to work together and not rush on this precious piece of history.

The exodus of Petro Canada would be a huge plus, and if we can get the Forks north portage so it is well incorporated with the forks, I mean why not they are right beside it.

Even though my idea isn't part of the plan I personally I wouldn't mind a total redevelopment as an exact replica of the fort. Though the walls would have to act as arches above certain developed areas like main street.

Replica can be done well especially now since we have the technology and that the Hydro building north of city hall looks great. Even the carlton building looks pretty old but its not. Some locals may not like it because we its a replica but I bet you alot of tourist would come say wow. It would certainly recapture the great history as to how this city and province was born. It would certainly draw in more tourists all year round as does the Plains of Abraham.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
Back from the dead

^I know some people really despise replicas and usually I agree with them. In this case, I figure "why not ?". After all, what is anybody planning to build on the 'park' land anyway ? They didn't have green aluminum roofing or reflective glass in widespread use at the time so what the hell, if we're going for broke anyway we might as well build a replica of the original fort. It's not going to be authentic either way. We could at least provide people with the illusion which is, after all, the whole idea I would think.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:38 AM
visionary

Exactly why build something thats doesn't look historic if its suppose look it I just don't understand that concept. My idea of a total recreating the Fort is something we once had. It will obviously take alot of money to do this but we can take our time and build it, build it little by little in phases.

Besides its not like we are Las Vegas or Dubai where they recreate other countries architecture,

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:42 AM
GQMF

^ That is so sad. wow.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 1:13 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
^ That is so sad. wow.
Nobody seems to have with the Hydro office north of city hall which is built as total replica from the time before and the Carlton building on portage (anchor tenant warehouse one) is also not an old builiding. If built right it works.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 2:51 AM
I am a typical

When we built Fort William, they used 19th century building materials and built it with 19th century methods. The result is an extremely realistic place. Building a replica of Fort Garry elsewhere is something I've already mentioned and something forumers have disagreed with, so the issue was laid to rest.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 3:06 AM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
Nobody seems to have with the Hydro office north of city hall which is built as total replica from the time before and the Carlton building on portage (anchor tenant warehouse one) is also not an old builiding. If built right it works.

Oops wrong thread haha. Wasn't towards your post. I agree with you though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 4:22 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
When we built Fort William, they used 19th century building materials and built it with 19th century methods. The result is an extremely realistic place. Building a replica of Fort Garry elsewhere is something I've already mentioned and something forumers have disagreed with, so the issue was laid to rest.
perhaps us winnipegers should leave our backyards and stop beeing small minded and check out your fort which is only 5-6 hours away. I believe you when you say "The result is an extremely realistic place." about your fort, I have looked a several pictures and I can't see why not it couldn't work here. We may not be able to build the entire fort but it would still be a great way to proudly resurrect the birthplace of this city and province. Even if the walls that would run main street would have arches or gaps instead of a full wall it would still work.

The Greeks themselves are rebuilding Acropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
Oops wrong thread haha. Wasn't towards your post. I agree with you though.
oh lol

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 4:25 AM
visionary

Friends of Upper Fort Garry score summit
By: Gordon Sinclair Jr. / winnipeg Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-4736342c.html

Updated: March 20 at 04:55 PM CDT

Print Article E-mail Article The Friends of Upper Fort Garry have something to celebrate.

It looks as if there’s finally going to be a high-level summit of sorts on the future of the historic site where the province of Manitoba was conceived.

“We are going to get everyone in the same room,” Friends of Upper Fort Garry spokesman Jerry Gray said today after meeting with Premier Gary Doer.

At least the Premier has agreed to meet with the other major political players.

“They proposed it,” Doer said, “and I think it’s a good idea.”

Thursday afternoon Gray was still trying to contact the other pivitol political players, federal minister responsible for Manitoba, Vic Toews, and Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz.

Katz told reporters on Tuesday that he would be willing to meet with Doer and the Friends.

The hoped-for meeting comes at a crucial time for the Friends.

They are facing a March 31 deadline to raise $3.4 million or lose their dream of developing the long-neglected site as a “world-class” heritage park.

Back in December a Katz-brokered deal gave them 109 days to raise $10 million if they wanted to take control of what amounts to a city-owned block that contains most of the 19th Century fur-fort’s footprint.

Otherwise a developer would be sold a parcel of land immediately adjacent to where the west wall stood.

The Friends envision putting a $9-million interpretive centre on that parcel.

Crystal Developers plan to erect a 21-storey high-rise apartment tower where the first “four-or-five” floors would be a parking garage. Gray said the meeting with the Doer went well, even if the Premier didn’t change his mind about the Friend’s vision being too expensive.

“The conclusion is we don’t have any obvious answers,” Gray said, ‘but let’s sit down and talk about it.”

Meanwhile, the Friend’s fund-raising carries on.

Tax-deductible contributions can be made on a one-time basis, pledged monthly or over five years.

Cheques can be made payable to Heritage Winnipeg for Upper Fort Garry, 509-63 Albert Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 1G4.

All donations will be held in trust.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 5:33 AM

i love how in every article, "world class" is always in quotation marks, almost sarcastically. better yet no one even knows what that even means.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 5:47 AM
I am a typical

Lots of people write into the Chronicle Journal and say that Thunder Bay has a "world class" harbour and the adding condos will ruin it.

I always get a good laugh out of that. "Thunder Bay" and "world class" shouldn't be used in the same paragraph, let alone sentence!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:06 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbamboom View Post
Great article by Tom Brodbeck. He is a voice of reason on many topics in this city.
95% of the time Brodbeck is a misinformed fountain of unhelpful rhetoric. That particular article though is spot-on.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 8:45 PM
surely you agree with me

brace yourselves for bad news boys....the grape vine is screaming.

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 8:52 PM
the first stamp is free

^ something to do with this...?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-4738909c.html

Provincial park status for Upper Fort Garry?
Gordon Sinclair Jr.

How does this sound? Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park.

Last Saturday I was musing about Premier Gary Doer giving himself a birthday present -- and all of us a birthplace gift.

Now it looks as if it could be on the way to happening.

Doer turns 60 on Monday -- the same day the Friends of Upper Fort Garry must have $10 million in pledges if they are to secure the fort's remaining footprint and an adjacent parcel of land that, otherwise, gets sold to a high-rise apartment developer.

But Tuesday afternoon, as the premier, Mayor Sam Katz and federal minister Vic Toews met collectively with the Friends for the first time, Doer tossed a surprise solution on the table.

At least it was a surprise to Friends spokesman Jerry Gray.

Here's how he remembers it.

They were gathered at Toews' Winnipeg office on the eighth floor of the Cargill Building.

Over cookies and coffee, if that matters.

Gray, the American-born Dean Emeritus of the Asper School of Business, was in the midst of explaining the Friends' fundraising position -- they're still $3.7 million short -- when the premier interjected.

"And he said, 'Well, there's another way to do it,' " Gray recalled. " 'And that's to make it a provincial park.' "

Right in the heart of Winnipeg.

Gray said under the premier's proposed park, the province would take over administration of the site where Manitoba was conceived by M ©tis leader Louis Riel in 1869 and granted its birth certificate by Ottawa in 1870.

Gray stressed that the provincial park plan isn't a done deal.

The Friends also have to do another deal and secure the purchase of the Grain Exchange Curling Club, which encroaches on the fort's footprint.

Although that's not anticipated to be a problem.

The problem is there's not much time left to do the whole deal that was dictated to the Friends last December by the city. But that's why the premier's "creative solution", as Gray called it, is so vital.

"It opens up other areas of funding," Gray said.

Meaning the money that's needed to make the deadline.

"We feel with the money that will be coming with this we'll meet our $10 million commitment. That's the key to moving this ahead."

Meeting the March 31 deadline would secure the parcel of land immediately adjacent to the footprint. That's the property on the southwest corner which Crystal Developers wants for a 20-storey-plus apartment tower and the Friends insist they need for an interpretive centre.

"The primary thing is to get the property," Gray said.

Interestingly that's exactly what I told the premier when we spoke over the phone last week.

Secure the site.

The Friends would be willing to scale back the $9 million interpretive centre, I suggested.

But they can't do that -- they won't do that -- without having the parcel Crystal Developers wants for a towering apartment building that would overshadow the historic property.

What's also still unknown is precisely what Doer has in mind in the way of a provincial park.

He is on the record with me as wanting what he called a "green corridor" from Bonneycastle Park on the river to Broadway.

What isn't known is whether a provincial park would include an indoor interpretive centre and where the government would locate it.

The Friends, said Gray, won't compromise their basic vision -- or use money gathered in trust from the public who gave with that vision in mind.

Anyway, Gray and the Friends may have been pleasantly surprised by the premier's solution.

But I doubt that he came up with it the day before.

By the time we spoke, the premier probably knew he had the provincial park deal up his sleeve. I only say that because I received a phone call late last week.

The politically plugged-in person on the other end had a question that, even then, sounded like a statement.

"Have you heard anything about the fort site becoming a provincial park?"

"No." I answered.

But now I have. And somehow I gotta believe that Gary Doer can and will make it happen.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Premier.

gordon.sinclair@freepress.mb.ca

Parks in the city

There are only two provincial parks within Winnipeg, St. Norbert Provincial Heritage Park and the Trappist Monastery Provincial Heritage Park.

Several provincial parks are just outside the city -- Beaudry, Duff Roblin, River Road, and Birds Hill.

Memorial Park immediately north of the Legislature is provincial land, which the city maintains.

The Forks is a federal park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan