HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:17 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
When the True North Project was on the boards, I had conducted some project research. One project that always peaked my interest was how well Nationwide Arena in Columbus. They converted this area which was an old and completely ignored area of the city.

This area is now known as the Arena District ... which is now a vibrant area with offices, multiple condo developments, restaurants, bars, theaters. A real thriving area .. born out of nothing.

I have always been disappointed at the lack of visionaries who haven't taken advanage of Winnipegs new arena to the same extent. I also always thought the city of Winnipeg should have marketed the area (one block in all directions of the MTS Centre) as the arena district. This area needs alot of attention, as it died with the decline of Eatons over the past 25 years... as well as the decline of downtown as a whole.

Yes the MTS Centre has made a positive impact to the area. A few more restaurants .. a revitalized Power Building and some much needed foot traffic in the area during the evenings. My point is this area has the major focal point to be much more.

Please take some times and look at these links.

http://arenadistrictliving.com/

http://www.arena-district.com/real-estate/leasing.php

http://www.arena-district.com/

Thoughts??

From what i've heard, the Columbus arena and surrounding area is a success because of the NHL team they have there.

Jets aficionado's are always quick to point out that the potential of the area surrounding the MTS centre hasn't been realized because the crowds the Moose draw are too small.

I'd be interested to know if the Columbus arena is connected via skywalk to many other buildings.

In my experience, a lot of people park their car in the basement of Portage Place and use the skywalk to get to the game instead of walking outside.

Naturally, most of the businesses inside the skywalk are closed come evening so there hasn't been much of an impact there.

Furthermore, because so many people use the skywalk instead of the street the foot traffic on Portage isn't that noticeable either.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:19 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
From what i've heard, the Columbus arena and surrounding area is a success because of the NHL team they have there.

Jets aficionado's are always quick to point out that the potential of the area surrounding the MTS centre hasn't been realized because the crowds the Moose draw are too small.

I'd be interested to know if the Columbus arena is connected via skywalk to many other buildings.

In my experience, a lot of people park their car in the basement of Portage Place and use the skywalk to get to the game instead of walking outside.

Naturally, most of the businesses inside the skywalk are closed come evening so there hasn't been much of an impact there.

Furthermore, because so many people use the skywalk instead of the street the foot traffic on Portage isn't that noticeable either.
Yeah I always wondered why the skywalk businesses wren't open during event nights.

For the record the Arena District is not connect by skywalks... and yes they do have more foot traffic year round, but part of the is a result of the area attracting condo development and some office development. Add in some entertainment and dining and you can go there even when there isn't a game and have a good time.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 4:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Free Press editorial board, 2007: promotes privatizing Hydro because it rips itself off by selling so low
Sun editorial board, 2007: whines that the NDP government is going to raise Hydro rates a bit

There's a difference between "challenging the status quo" and "populist crap".
WTF sell hydro are they off their fucking rockers!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
WTF sell hydro are they off their fucking rockers!
Why have one government head office, when you could have multiple power corporations in Winnipeg vieing to selling power. The ability of the free market to finance the expansion of power generation in the north is much stronger. Overall you'd see an explosion of investment and jobs, but since it would reduce the number of government workers the NDP would never allow it.

MB Hydro could remain as a utility company .. selling power locally and regulating the overall industry, but opening up Manitoba's energy industry to private investments would pay off huge dividends to the province. Its really obvious if you examine it objectively.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
Capitalist

Speaking of broadening the power industry in Manitoba.
---------------------------------------------------

Province Wooing Mitsubishi

The Province is still trying to negotiate a deal with Mitsubishi to build wind turbines in Manitoba.
As CJOB told you first in October, the company is looking to set up a plant in Manitoba that could create hundreds of jobs.

Premier Gary Doer says no deal has been reached to this point.

Doer indicated if the company asks for too much in the way of incentives they will have to refuse the turbine maker's offer.

CJOB's Jeff Keele reporting.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
Creative Accountant

1,000 jobs in province if talks succeed

Wed Apr 11 2007

By Mia Rabson
A Japanese corporate giant is looking at setting up shop in Manitoba.

Mitsubishi, known primarily for making cars, is negotiating with the province to establish a wind blade and tower manufacturing plant in the province, with as many as 1,000 new jobs.

The discussions -- underway since the province put out a call for proposals for additional wind power last fall -- are struggling, however, because the company is asking for more corporate welfare than Premier Gary Doer is willing to provide.

"The incentives are too high for the taxpayers of Manitoba," said Doer during question period Tuesday.

Doer had little choice but to acknowledge the negotiations with Mitsubishi when asked about the issue by Conservative Leader Hugh McFadyen during question period.

McFadyen's party got wind of the discussions and he said he had been led to believe an announcement on the new plant was coming sometime in the next two weeks.
Click here to find out more!
By raising it in the legislature, McFadyen was likely hoping to prevent the government from making a splashy, "look at all the jobs we're bringing to Manitoba" announcement on the eve of a provincial election.

Following question period, Doer tried to downplay the negotiations, saying as exciting as the opportunity is, he has to ensure there is a cost-benefit to the taxpayer. He wouldn't divulge what the company had requested but said the discussions are continuing.

"I don't want to create any false optimism," said Doer. "There is no deal. Are there discussions still going on? Yes. But I would say it's got a lot of distance."

Mitsubishi did not respond to a request for an interview Tuesday.

McFadyen said he fears the company needs so many incentives from the government because there isn't a welcoming environment to business in this province.

Manitoba is falling far behind on job creation compared to other provinces, said McFadyen. There were 10,700 new jobs created in Manitoba between March 2006 and March 2007, the seventh best in Canada. Saskatchewan, said McFadyen, had double that growth.

And that's because Manitoba is "out of whack" with the rest of the West on taxes, making businesses wanting to invest here look for government handouts to ease the tax pain.

"We're saying the government should create an environment in Manitoba where private companies want to invest and create jobs here," said McFadyen. "I think if you have to go too far in terms of government incentives, that's an indication of a problem with your economic environment."
mia.rabson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:02 PM
BANNED

I think Doer's perception of what is good for Manitobans (vis-a-vis incentives), and what most other people would say is acceptable for incentives are completely different.

Manitoba Chamber sticks to main theme
APR 11 2007 12:50 AM

The Manitoba Chamber of Commerce holds its 76th annual meeting this weekend in Winnipeg.
Chamber president Graham Starmer says they'll be sticking to their theme of making Manitoba a "HAVE" province..
Starmer also told the Winnipeg Business report on CJOB Tuesday night they plan to make an announcement Friday about the Museum of Human Rights. He says they'll be attempting to form a partnership with other Chambers and businesses around the province with the aim of raising funds towards the construction of the facility..

Starmer adds the keynote speakers at the Annual Conference are from Chicago, Toronto and Atlantic Canada..

CJOB's Robert Holland reporting

Last edited by The Diva; Apr 11, 2007 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 10:58 PM
Capitalist

The tide is turning ..

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 1:10 PM
Creative Accountant

Entrepreneurs at heart, Manitobans reveal in poll
Many believe businesses make valuable contribution

Sat Apr 14 2007

By Martin Cash
MANITOBANS are more interested in starting their own business, taking risks in creating more prosperity and being more innovative than people in Ontario or the United States, according to the results of a new survey.

More than 1,100 people completed a website survey set up by the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce in an effort to gauge Manitobans' views and attitudes about the future prosperity of the province.

Chamber officials were caught off guard by the number of people who completed the survey who said they want to start their own business, and the number who believe businesses make an important contribution to the prosperity of the province.

"There are an awful lot of people out there who want to start their own business and support entrepreneurialism in the province," said the chambers' president, Graham Starmer.

The survey is part of the chambers' campaign to generate ideas about how to energize the provincial economy and raise awareness about economic dynamics, called Making Manitoba a 'Have' Province.

"People are more willing to embrace innovation and risk-taking than we might have thought," Starmer said.
Click here to find out more!
Although there is no statistically valid margin of error in the survey, the results paint a picture of Manitobans being predisposed to value entrepreneurialism. They hold entrepreneurs and small business owners in higher regard than doctors and university professors. More than 30 per cent of respondents said they were very interested in starting their own business.

Bill Smith, executive director of the Manitoba Research Institute, a think-tank recently created by the Manitoba chambers, said there are some important messages in the survey.

"It seems to tell us that people are saying that the days of asking what government can do for business are over," Smith said. "I think people are saying that there is a role for business people to take some leadership. It's not just about asking government to lower taxes."

David Guberman, owner of Telexperts, a Winnipeg telecommunications equipment company, said he thinks Winnipeggers do hold entrepreneurs in high regard.

"This is a small town and business people have to earn every penny they make," he said. "Most business people I know have fairly up-beat attitudes because we have to earn every penny we make and we can't afford to burn bridges."

Shelley Werner is the co-owner of Smart Furniture For Business inc. a five-year-old business furniture company. She has been self-employed for close to 20 years.

"I think many people in Winnipeg actually know someone who owns their own business," she said. "In this community, unlike in larger cities like Toronto for instance, there is a sense that owning your own business is something that is accessible to just about anyone. You look all around and there are all sorts of homegrown businesses."

Starmer said the strength of the results mean the chamber will work hard at figuring out ways to unlock that pent-up demand.
"There is a lot of enthusiasm out there," he said. "We have to figure out what is inhibiting people from starting new businesses."

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Making Manitoba a 'have' province

More than 1,000 Manitobans participated in an online survey conducted by the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce gauging attitudes and the level of commitment people have in building a more competitive and prosperous province. The results showed that Manitobans are even more predisposed to become risk-taking entrepreneurs than people who filled out similar surveys in the U.S. and Ontario.

One of the survey questions was: If you won $2 million in the lottery, which one of the following would you most likely do with the money? Here's what percentange of Manitoba respondents said they would do, compared with Ontarians:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:32 PM
Capitalist

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
I think Doer's perception of what is good for Manitobans (vis-a-vis incentives), and what most other people would say is acceptable for incentives are completely different.

Doer's Manitobans are union bosses. Hence the maintenance of a tax wedge that slows employment growth--giving unions greater leverage and their bosses fatter wallets.

And that article is more poorly written than usual. For example:

"...he has to ensure there is a cost-benefit to the taxpayer."

That makes no sense.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 6:19 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Doer's Manitobans are union bosses. Hence the maintenance of a tax wedge that slows employment growth--giving unions greater leverage and their bosses fatter wallets.

And that article is more poorly written than usual. For example:

"...he has to ensure there is a cost-benefit to the taxpayer."

That makes no sense.

You are so right .. Doer and the big unions are connected at the hip. Pulling the economy down to make the unions rich .. thus able to fund the NDP. Continiuos government cost over runs are only the tip of the iceberg. Government buracracy is growing at a staggering rate. This is where the high taxes are going.. and thus keeping our economy in its stagnant rut.

Time to build the economy into a something great!!! Cut the payroll tax and create jobs... and make Manitoba a better place to invest.

Doer and his union buddies have to go. Lets make Manitoba a have province!!

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 15, 2007 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Sounds like he is ready for an election. Let's hope Manitobans wake the hell up and send his ass outta the leg'

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 3:54 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'd be delighted to see change on Broadway, but I think we all know that Doer isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 4:11 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I'd be delighted to see change on Broadway, but I think we all know that Doer isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
We have to work to get him out .. or it will be another 4 years of FAT government and very little to attract more private investment.

4 more years of ignoring the economy.

4 more years of keeping his big unions friends in the lap of luxury as the rest of Manitoba is left to sink or swim.

4 more years of keeping Manitoba among the highest taxed regions in North America.

I really think Manitoba has much too much to lose to just sit back and watch the NDP win another election do to provincial appathy or lack of provincal vision of a better future.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 5:13 PM
Capitalist

On the other end of the spectrum....

Here is an article from the Downtown Biz website.

---------------------------------------------------------

Downtown housing incentives set
Apr. 03, 2007

Downtown housing incentives set
Expanded tax refunds planned

Tue Apr 3 2007

By Bartley Kives of the Winnipeg Free Press

THE City of Winnipeg is close to unveiling a small battery of incentives to create more housing downtown and redevelop vacant buildings in the heart of the city.

City planners are working on expanding existing tax refunds that speed the construction of new condominium and apartment buildings in downtown Winnipeg, the new president of development agency CentreVenture said on Monday.

Other sources say the city is also planning to stimulate the redevelopment of empty buildings and vacant lots through a mechanism known as a tax-increment financing zone. The gist is, increased property taxes generated by improvements within a specific portion of downtown could be funnelled back into other projects in the same area -- instead of that tax money flowing straight into city coffers.

A report recommending both forms of incentives is expected at city council within weeks, thanks to the political push provided by last May's Winnipeg City Summit and campaign promises made by Mayor Sam Katz in September.

"We all hope to see something in the near future which looks at accelerating incentives to the private sector to encourage housing, and specifically housing in the downtown," said Coun. Russ Wyatt, who chairs city council's downtown development committee.

"That was one of the issues we heard coming out of the city summit and it's one of the issues we keep hearing about over and over again.

"For downtown revitalization to be successful, we need to have more residential properties and more people living downtown."

"As the taxes are paid to the city, they're refunded back to the developer," explained Ross McGowan, CentreVenture's new president and CEO, who was summoned to address Wyatt's downtown committee on his first day on the job.

The city doesn't actually commit any new money to the program because the refunds represent cash the city would not have collected if the incentives were not in place, he explained.

"These tax credits will be here for five or six years but the benefits will be here 50, 60 years down the road," McGowan said. "Rather than having a vacant parcel of land that's not generating any revenue, let's bring it on to the tax rolls."

The tax-increment financing zone being considered by the city would cover all sorts of developments, not just housing. In essence, it allows any new taxes the city collects from improved properties inside the zone to fund even more improvements, such as streetscaping or more developments -- instead of just penalizing property owners for making improvements.

Sources say city planners are still in the midst of deciding what portions of downtown would be designated a tax-increment financing zone, pending city council approval.

Both Wyatt and Mayor Sam Katz said Winnipeggers should get a peek at the proposed downtown incentives in the near future.
"There's a lot of work going on behind the scenes to make sure we're going to get the biggest bang for the dollar that we can, and that it will be a success," Wyatt said.

"It's no secret that housing is a big priority of mine and more people living downtown is a priority, too," added Katz.

Since the mid-1960s, downtown Winnipeg has undergone dozens of revitalization efforts, including megaprojects such as the Centennial Centre complex on Main Street, Portage Place, The Forks and MTS Centre.

The city's existing tax refund program has been credited for stimulating the construction of high-end condominiums along Waterfront Drive. City council and CentreVenture hope an expanded program will also stimulate the creation of more affordable downtown housing.

How it would work

Mechanisms for revitalizing downtown Winnipeg.

1. MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING GRANT PROGRAM

Status: A three-year pilot program under review by city planners.

What it does: Stimulates the development of multi-family dwellings such as condominium and apartment buildings in designated improvement zones, including downtown Winnipeg.

How it works: Essentially, this is a tax rebate that allows developers of new condo or apartment buildings to recover part of their construction costs. Right now, developers can reclaim a maximum of $250,000 per building in the form of tax rebates, which are paid back to the city as taxes are collected. Rebates can be paid back up to a maximum of six years.

Proposed changes: City planners are thinking about making the rebate based on the number of units in the building, which would allow developers of even larger condos or apartments to recover even more money.

2. TAX-INCREMENT FINANCING ZONE

Status: Proposed revitalization measure. Currently in place in dozens of North American cities, including major centres such as Chicago and San Antonio.

What it would do: Stimulates the redevelopment of existing buildings or empty lots in depressed areas by allowing property owners to make improvements that market forces alone would not support.

How it would work: First, the city sets a property-tax benchmark for buildings and lots within a designated area of downtown Winnipeg. When owners renovate or otherwise improve those properties, the resulting tax increases from future assessments are diverted from city coffers and funnelled back into other improvements in the immediate area, which can include more renovations by the same developer. The diversion of tax funds would take place for a set amount of time, such as five, 10 or even 20 years.

Where exactly would this happen? City planners are still working on that, sources say.
e is an article from the Downtown Biz website.

------------------------------------------------------------

Finally a political leader in Manaitoba who has figured it out. Attract investment and build momentum in the downtown.

Just what the doctor ordered!! Sam Katz is a great leader.

Great things are starting to happen at the city level.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 8:51 PM

In case anyone has forgotten, nobody in Manitoba gets voted in. People get voted out.

It isn't Doer's time to get voted out yet. I wish it was, but unfortunately, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd be completely shocked not to see him get re-elected.

However, I don't lose much sleep over it, because I think Hugh McFadyen is equally hapless, with better words coming out of his mouth. The only leader, provincially, that I like, is Dr. Jon Gerrard, but his Liberals have a better chance of become the Ba'athist leaders in Iraq than the empowered part in Manitoba provincial affairs.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 2:38 AM
Capitalist

Cambrian Posts Strong Year end

The Cambrian Credit Union has reported a strong year end result.
The 212.7 million dollars in assets in 2006 brings its total to more than 1.3 billion.
Cambrian also reported its highest ever net income at 12.1 million dollars.

President and CEO Tom Bryk says that was driven in part, by the strong local demand for mortgages and other financial services.

CJOB News

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:16 PM
Capitalist

Banking on Winnipeg
CIBC opens 'wholesale' branch
By JOYANNE PURSAGA, SUN MEDIA

It's a wholesale banking branch built on a vote of confidence in the Winnipeg economy.

Brian Shaw, chairman and CEO of CIBC World Markets, said the city's strong regional economy enticed his company to open a new wholesale banking branch on the fifth floor of the Richardson Building last week.

"That's evidence there are a fair number of things going on in the community and our skills match what's needed," said Shaw from his home in Toronto.

Wholesale banking primarily serves large companies and investors. Shaw said merger and acquisition services account for a key part of the business.

Shaw said its new office will be the only bank-owned investment bank in the city. It has attracted several new local clients this year, including Artis REIT, Exchange Industrial Income Fund and CanWest Global Communications.

The company was the largest equity underwriter in Canada in each of the last six years and includes provincial and municipal governments, New Flyer Industries and the North West Company in its client base.

"There's a number of private companies that we would described as small capital, (middle) capital in size and we also want to work with them," said Shaw. "That private sector is doing really well in Winnipeg."

------------------------------------------------------

Winnipeg's corporate community is drawing attention .. underwriting and M&A activity is the big business.

This is a very big vote of confidence in Winnipeg's future economy.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:31 AM
Capitalist

There seems to be alot of Icelantic interest in Winnipeg lately. With the annoucement of the Icelandtic Bank locating a branch in downtown Winnipeg and a direct flight to Iceland coming to Winnipeg, good things are happening.

Now the President of Iceland has come to address the Winnipeg Chamber.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan