HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:16 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I see both sides in the transit dispute are at a tentative agreement stage.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/transit-...ipeg-1.4603304

The union representing Winnipeg Transit workers and the City of Winnipeg have reached a tentative agreement, following contract negotiations that spanned much of 2019 and saw the mayor warn members of the public to brace for a strike.

In a news release, the Amalgamated Transit Union 1505 said the tentative agreement is endorsed by its bargaining committee and is subject to a ratification vote by its members, which will take place from Sept. 29 to Oct. 4.
"We think that we've reached an agreement that is fair to both sides and we're excited to be bringing an offer that we can work with to our membership for ratification," said the union’s president Aleem Chaudhary.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:41 PM

Interesting news tidbit re: Phase II SWBRT:

Quote:
The southwest transit corridor will be finished eight weeks ahead of schedule, with another $40-million reduction in cost.

Councillors on the public works committee were told Tuesday the revised cost is now expected to be $420 million. It was originally set at $589 million.

"We’re well under budget and well ahead of schedule," said Dave Wardrop, the city’s chief transportation and utilities officer.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...561941882.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:51 PM
Winnipeg

That's so nice to hear. Huge amount of saving! May as well use the saved amount to improve infrastructure or fund the next big project.

By the way, the new RT bridge above Bishop Grandin are now decorated with "RT" logos. Looks nice in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:01 PM

Southwest Transitway has achieved substantial completion yesterday. The AT paths should be open to the public today and Winnipeg Transit has taken control of the transitway itself for their operations. They will begin testing and commissioning, with plans to operate the new routes April.

There is still some finishing and landscaping work to complete. But all the major work is done and Plenary Roads have met their contractual obligations.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:03 PM

I would love to see Transit embark on the final leg of SW BRT... the stretch between Harkness and Graham Avenue.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:16 PM

The problem with the significant cost reduction here is we lose out on the funding that would've been provided by the feds and somewhat the province. That money is gone.

The City really needs to stop with the over estimating of major projects. They purposely do this as of late to not go over budget. Waverley is a good example. Another amount of Federal funding that is lost. We could fund the leg through down with the funding that was lost in these two projects.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:16 PM

^That's a good point. Build in some contingency to avoid a ton of bad press if issues arise, but why not try and get as much done with the whole budget if fed money is available.

One thing to note on Waverly though is that a lot of the cost savings were due to the original budget being for doing it in concrete, but it was decided after approval to switch to asphalt. So the actual "savings" under budget aren't nearly what the hard numbers say.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Southwest Transitway has achieved substantial completion yesterday. The AT paths should be open to the public today and Winnipeg Transit has taken control of the transitway itself for their operations. They will begin testing and commissioning, with plans to operate the new routes April.

There is still some finishing and landscaping work to complete. But all the major work is done and Plenary Roads have met their contractual obligations.
That is great news! Just like in 2012, I hope I'll get a chance to ride the first in-service buses.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 9:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I would love to see Transit embark on the final leg of SW BRT... the stretch between Harkness and Graham Avenue.
Yes, it’s too bad the massive Main-Norwood bridge project was done a little too early to allow for the integration of the BRT route.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camzmac View Post
That is great news! Just like in 2012, I hope I'll get a chance to ride the first in-service buses.

I don't care either way....BUT I'd like to ride it on Day 1 once it "gets converted to LRT" sometime this century.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:36 PM

took the bus today for the first time in years.
bus arrival times were like clockwork for all 3 buses, even with it being the first day of snow.
the bus driver even waited for me while i was running to get to my residential stop, so good job Winnipeg Transit!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I don't care either way....BUT I'd like to ride it on Day 1 once it "gets converted to LRT" sometime this century.
....and then never use it again

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
took the bus today for the first time in years.
bus arrival times were like clockwork for all 3 buses, even with it being the first day of snow.
the bus driver even waited for me while i was running to get to my residential stop, so good job Winnipeg Transit!
I have also experienced this this. Wpg Transit does a good job in many cases, despite what one tends to read in forums like this.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:30 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I have also experienced this this. Wpg Transit does a good job in many cases, despite what one tends to read in forums like this.
I agree, bus drivers are pretty capable of dealing with this weather.

On another note, this weather just makes me feel that it's beneficial to live in downtown, especially if working there. Things are within walking distance, for the most part. No need to worry about transportation. As long as clothes are thick enough, everthing is ok. I believe snow clearing is more effective in downtown. Downtown Winnipeg Biz is clearing out the sidewalks this morning, and nothing is done in Bridgewater yet......

It's so nice to have a coffee shop or a restaurant downstairs, if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
....and then never use it again
I've been a regular/lifelong transit user since 1969 (age 3). Would have been earlier if there had been low-floor accessible buses like we have now.

What would make me use transit less or not at all is the wackos that are on the buses these days, like that "gentleman" who sprayed pepper spray on a few unsuspecting passengers this week on the 11 bus. Maybe incidents like this wouldn't happen if Transit were made a privelidge rather than a right, though WT has started to bar troublesome individuals in the past few years.

Last edited by LilZebra; Oct 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post

On another note, this weather just makes me feel that it's beneficial to live in downtown, especially if working there. Things are within walking distance, for the most part. No need to worry about transportation. As long as clothes are thick enough, everthing is ok. I believe snow clearing is more effective in downtown. Downtown Winnipeg Biz is clearing out the sidewalks this morning, and nothing is done in Bridgewater yet......

Yes! I find it so weird when people cite our winters as the reason everyone needs to drive and the urban lifestyle just doesn't work here....

During a winter storm there's all the more reason to be downtown with amenities very close to you, if the streets are a mess it doesn't affect you. Your area is the first to get streets & sidewalks cleared. If you live out at the perimeter and need your car to go everywhere, you're basically just out of luck in this weather, or at the very least, your life becomes way more difficult. None of my suburban coworkers are in today. Also I picked up cheap tickets to the game last night because my buddy was worried he would get stuck but it's no problem for me to get to the rink. Even just clearing the driveway and clearing the snow off your car might take you 30 mins, it takes me zero lol.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:03 PM

^ When I lived on Kennedy I had a 10 minute walk to work no matter what the weather conditions were. You can't beat it. Sidewalks and streets were always plowed quickly so even if the city was half shut down like today, you're never stranded.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I agree, bus drivers are pretty capable of dealing with this weather.

This weather also shows the benefits of taking transit – traffic backed up for miles on Main/St. Mary's, but busses cruising along with no delays in the diamond lanes. Proof they should be expanded. Also so many regular vehicles illegally using the lanes today, cops should start posting up and ticketing.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:07 PM

Anyone heard updates on this Electric Bus Pilot Program? Says the city wants to purchase 12-20 electric busses to test viability of an electric fleet. It's currently listed in "unfunded capital projects" yet says the one year pilot will wrap up Q4 2020... meaning it would likely have to start in the next couple months.

https://winnipeg.ca/infrastructure/m...rojects.stm#12

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:40 PM

No funding = not happening

Maybe it was based on a provincial/federal commitment that never materialized?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan