HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 10:17 PM

^ That's great. Provencher is wide enough that we can have our cake and eat it too in terms of accommodating both cars and bikes (as well as other forms of AT). No need to shunt it off to a side street... keep those bikes on Winnipeg's Champs-Elysees! (OK, I may be overstating things...)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:06 PM

100% agree, still waiting for Provencher to be the street it deserves to be! so many empty lots / buildings just waiting for re-juvenation / building!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:12 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
100% agree, still waiting for Provencher to be the street it deserves to be! so many empty lots / buildings just waiting for re-juvenation / building!
I have wanted nothing more my whole life, but the local interest groups have a hard time staying out of the way of the vitality of their neighbourhood. The franco-manitoban ones specifically. I've been running in those circles since I was just a kid and they are resistant to any single iota of change that might, for instance, dilute the francophone community etc. It's a pretty rigid mindset.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:42 PM

^Which I find odd because French urban design is generally quite high density with a distinct character. If these Franco-Manitobans are so upset it wouldn’t kill them to have urban design guidelines in St. Boniface. Especially if the goal is to make it a tree lined boulevard as seen in Paris.

I will say though I am quite happy with the bike lanes. It took way too long to lobby the bike lanes on Provencher but alas common sense prevails. I’m also quite happy with them being 2.2 metres on each side.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
^Which I find odd because French urban design is generally quite high density with a distinct character. If these Franco-Manitobans are so upset it wouldn’t kill them to have urban design guidelines in St. Boniface. Especially if the goal is to make it a tree lined boulevard as seen in Paris.

I will say though I am quite happy with the bike lanes. It took way too long to lobby the bike lanes on Provencher but alas common sense prevails. I’m also quite happy with them being 2.2 metres on each side.
That's French from France architecture you're talking about. These are French-Canadians, who should be better named NIMBY Winnipeggers that think a neighbourhood spitting distance from Downtown should look exactly as it did 150 years ago with 4 acre lots, horse carts, roaming chickens, etc...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:40 PM

It's decent. Would be nice to have bi-directional lanes on both sides.

Are there are upgrades planned for Archibald? It seems the plan is to install the lanes on Provencher. Then use Greenways, Ie: jus ride on the street, to get to Archibald and then no upgrades there. Archibald is not pedestrian friendly. Just riding on the sidewalk to get through the underpass to the newer AT connection built a few years back.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
That's French from France architecture you're talking about. These are French-Canadians, who should be better named NIMBY Winnipeggers that think a neighbourhood spitting distance from Downtown should look exactly as it did 150 years ago with 4 acre lots, horse carts, roaming chickens, etc...
You have a point about Franco-Manitobans but I wouldn’t even mind the French-Canadian neighborhoods in Montreal where the residential streets are just a bunch of walk up rowhouses abutting the street with mixed-use housing on the high street.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:01 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
You have a point about Franco-Manitobans but I wouldn’t even mind the French-Canadian neighborhoods in Montreal where the residential streets are just a bunch of walk up rowhouses abutting the street with mixed-use housing on the high street.
The NIMBYism seems to be a bit of a local phenomenon. I think it mostly has to do with the perception that the franco-manitoban identity is always under threat and attack. That hasn't really been true in any real sense since the 80s, but the attitude persists. Harder to keep cohesion in the community when there is no urgent rallying cry
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Are there are upgrades planned for Archibald?.
In the proposed route, it does not appear so.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 4:32 AM
surely you agree with me

Starting to rust. Will look nice when it does.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:30 PM

I drive by it daily and absolutely LOVE this building, filled such an previous ugly corner, can't wait for more to happen in the area. The only downside is the retail / office are empty (besides the resident gym). Same issue as many of the new builds on St Anne's road, the CRU sit empty while the apartments are sold out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:41 PM

It might be a fad that we all look back on with distaste after 25 years, but I'm an absolute sucker for architectural weathering steel. Love it

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:46 PM

I don’t mind that the francophone community is very invested in preserving the feel of st. Boniface. It’s their community. It’s the heart of francophone culture in western Canada. The last thing it needs is a shit ton of anglophones moving in and diluting the community even more.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
It might be a fad that we all look back on with distaste after 25 years, but I'm an absolute sucker for architectural weathering steel. Love it
Not my personal taste, but lots of people seem to like it. It's still a very attractive building.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I don’t mind that the francophone community is very invested in preserving the feel of st. Boniface. It’s their community. It’s the heart of francophone culture in western Canada. The last thing it needs is a shit ton of anglophones moving in and diluting the community even more.
You can still preserve francophone culture and increase density substantially in St Boniface.

Also, densifying St Boniface could mean a larger pool of immigrants from French communities. It’s not like everyone moving to the area has to be anglophones.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:21 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
wow.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I drive by it daily and absolutely LOVE this building, filled such an previous ugly corner, can't wait for more to happen in the area. The only downside is the retail / office are empty (besides the resident gym). Same issue as many of the new builds on St Anne's road, the CRU sit empty while the apartments are sold out.
more coming.

the CRU's are a frustration...the spaces are amazing....high ceilings, giant windows...the end has a patio space....storefront retail is such a challenge in Winnipeg, especially if you don't have a big parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:25 PM

There's already a shit ton of anglophones living in St. B.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
If keeping MFR from replacing surface parking lots on their truck route helps preserve the French language, they're doing a bang-up job

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Also, densifying St Boniface could mean a larger pool of immigrants from French communities.
"We have to preserve the French language" will very quickly turn to "we have to preserve the Franco-Manitoban culture" if the neighbourhood started to fill with Francophones from Haiti, Cote d'Ivoire, DRC, etc. The racism is not subtle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan