HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i have vage memories of the brick drum thingy on posts out front that was red and smashed out windows and the plants and weeds and the bigest pot holes u ever saw and burnt out car or 2 back there and no boarded up windows but thats all i remeber other then peering in the one drive bay door when it was wide open once and seeing bays inside for storing coal

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 6:38 PM
Starring as himself

Winnipeg from the South

"Winnipeg from the south" -- a postcard view looking up Garry Street.

This should be dated to 1912 or 1913. It would have been taken from the Fort Garry Hotel, possibly while still under construction. The date is confirmed by the absence of the Tribune Building (1914) and the Paris Building (1915) and the presence of the Electric Railway Chambers (completed 1913). The Free Press sign is still brightly painted on the rear of their Portage and Garry location, although they would have been moving to 300 Carlton in 1912 or 1913. You can see the pointy turrets on the top of the old YMCA building so this must have been taken before the conversion of that building (sans turrets) into what became the Birks Buiding had been completed. The large structure in the foreground is the old Auditorium.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 6:30 PM
Density and complexity

Great photo!

What church's spire is it that rises beyond Portage Ave. between Smith and Donald? Is that the old Knox United?

That's a nice triple-decker verandah on the Windsor Hotel (centre-right foreground)

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 7:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that church was on elice can see it in this pic

witch i am waiing for in the maill

anyhow i just aquired a slide of canada packers was not going to say no to this rare view

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 11:33 PM
Starring as himself

Yes, although of course it would have been Knox Presbyterian at the time (northeast corner of Donald and Ellice, about where the Giant Tiger stands in these more advanced times.

Thanks for pointing out the Windsor Hotel.

P.S.: excellent hogs, Adrian!

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 2:23 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Yes, although of course it would have been Knox Presbyterian at the time (northeast corner of Donald and Ellice, about where the Giant Tiger stands in these more advanced times.
Of course. Like the contemporary United Church, I am out of touch with my roots.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 5:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

albert st pre td center parking

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lexart_...hy/3477555618/

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 12:27 PM
Starring as himself

Main Street looking north from Portage Avenue, from a stereoview card published 1906. A nice street scene.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

outstanding find andy didn't notice that sign by the door before nifty

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:59 AM
Density and complexity

I love seeing up-close sidewalk views of Winnipeg, much like how I love that high, detachable collars are no longer a fashion essential for men.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

detachable what now?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 1:27 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
detachable what now?
A collar. It is what business people and office workers in other cities are required to have on their shirts at while work.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 2:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ suckers.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 3:04 PM

Roslyn Condo and Heritage Building

This?

Or this?

That seems to be the question in Kives' article today. The house at 166 Roslyn is listed as a heritage structure and there will be a fight to preserve it. If it can't be demolished, the condo proposal is likely dead.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:34 AM

It's not like Osborne Village is known for it's heritage houses, so losing this really won't affect the atmosphere of the village. It's the density and the heritage apartment/commercial buildings that make the village what it is, not the odd obscure house behind safeway.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

instead of smashing it to the ground take it apart and reuse some of the metials in the new condo building going up

anyhow txs to andy i discoved tonight that my house was pat of a vote riging thing in 1914 aparently there was 54 amaricans living in my house who voted in the election lol even a photo dam my house looks so sweet a 2nd floor balcony ontop of my portch how sweet is that

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 1, 2009 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 12:45 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
anyhow txs to andy i discoved tonight that my house was pat of a vote riging thing in 1914 aparently there was 54 amaricans living in my house who voted in the election lol even a photo dam my house looks so sweet a 2nd floor balcony ontop of my portch how sweet is that

That is incredible. With the Norquays long moved off of Hallet Street by 1914, wasn't 79 Hallet the Jewish Aid Society or something by then? It would be neat if a photo was found of the house at 73-75 Hallet, which was apparently even more of a monster house than 79. Or I would love to see pictures of my house--just to see how much late Victorian ornamentation was torn off in the post-war years.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:25 PM
the first stamp is free

^ very cool! I have found after some searching around at the archives that to find an early 1900's picture of specific houses in Winnipeg is exceptionally rare.

Now you have a chance to return your house to it's original splendor!

Have you figured out where the door was in your house to the now missing second floor balcony?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the door was on the south window figured this out cause we had that wall open in that room putting insulation in cause when u woke up in the morning during the winter u feet didn't like hitting that cold floor lol u could look right into the the small air pocket in the roof of the porch and the floor boards went into the walll lot further then other spots and i could tell my floors used to be stained a realy dark red colour

I've still got some of the original doors inside my house and i still have samples of the original molding witch is part of the shelfing in my basement closets lol but still my house was 31 years old by the time that was taken and had already seen some major renovations like several additions in the rear, electrical being added and plumbing witch they didn't really make much of a mess structurally like i have seen in some homes in the area

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:57 PM
Starring as himself

I signed up for the FP archive and entering Adrian's address provided no end of interesting news items down through the years. Finding an actual photo was the icing on the cake. Photos were still not all that common in newspapers at that time. The whole story is quite interesting and a fascinating example of the Free Press' rather strong dislike of Sir Rodmond Roblin's government. I guess that 79 Hallet was a boarding house used by CPR porters, all of whom in those days would have been black, and the Conservatives allegedly had figured out that by registering everyone who stayed in the house as a "resident", they could create dozens of extra votes for themselves. Sounds like the sort of thing that happened back then.

Anyone with an old house in Winnipeg would find lots to amuse them by doing the same on the WFP archive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan