HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Building permit filed to convert a warehouse into a brewery at 975 Chattahoochee. Hallway Brewing.
First world Atlanta problems, but boy do I wish we had more brewpubs and more breweries were walkable in general and to one another.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
First world Atlanta problems, but boy do I wish we had more brewpubs and more breweries were walkable in general and to one another.

Yeah we don't quite have a walkable "brewery district" yet, but on the SW Beltline there are going to be three or four in a row. You'll have Monday Night, Wild Heaven, Best End, and Hop City (not a brewery, but should be excellent) in a one block stretch of trail, and Lean Drafthouse is just up the trail.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Yeah we don't quite have a walkable "brewery district" yet, but on the SW Beltline there are going to be three or four in a row. You'll have Monday Night, Wild Heaven, Best End, and Hop City (not a brewery, but should be excellent) in a one block stretch of trail, and Lean Drafthouse is just up the trail.
Yeah this is definitely the closest thing to it so far. Decatur and Avondale has a decent selection as well.

Best brewpubs and beer bars along the EST are Wrecking Bar and The Porter, but not exactly close to each other or near other walkable neighborhoods. I'm hoping we see a handful more quality brewpubs go in along the EST. New Realm has a great view, but the beer is underwhelming. Orpheus is a neat location as well, but again, I'm not a huge fan of the beer (nor atmosphere). I'm envious of the new 3 Taverns Imaginarium opening up at Atlanta Dairies, West End, heck even a handful outside the city. Variant, Pontoon, Cherry Street, and Wild Leap would all be incredible to have intown. A nice thing about Charlotte is a lot of their breweries are opened up along their LRT & rail trail, making it easy to get from one to the other.

I would love for the area around Krog Street Tunnel and Edgewood Ave to get a wave of breweries and brewpubs. Turn the parking lot next to krog street, part of studioplex, stoveworks, buildings housing rathbun steak or sampson lofts to a brewery... Lots of these areas could be a charming fit.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Yeah this is definitely the closest thing to it so far. Decatur and Avondale has a decent selection as well.

Best brewpubs and beer bars along the EST are Wrecking Bar and The Porter, but not exactly close to each other or near other walkable neighborhoods. I'm hoping we see a handful more quality brewpubs go in along the EST. New Realm has a great view, but the beer is underwhelming. Orpheus is a neat location as well, but again, I'm not a huge fan of the beer (nor atmosphere). I'm envious of the new 3 Taverns Imaginarium opening up at Atlanta Dairies, West End, heck even a handful outside the city. Variant, Pontoon, Cherry Street, and Wild Leap would all be incredible to have intown. A nice thing about Charlotte is a lot of their breweries are opened up along their LRT & rail trail, making it easy to get from one to the other.

I would love for the area around Krog Street Tunnel and Edgewood Ave to get a wave of breweries and brewpubs. Turn the parking lot next to krog street, part of studioplex, stoveworks, buildings housing rathbun steak or sampson lofts to a brewery... Lots of these areas could be a charming fit.
Living on the NW side of town (Hills Park, Bolton), I'd suggest that throwing up sidewalks along Chattahoochee and Carrol would do wonders for connectivity to all the breweries we have on this side of town. With the expansion of The Works on Chattahoochee, I think we will see this happen in the next 18 months...we would then be able to quickly ride/walk to this new brewery, Second Self, Atlanta Brewing, and Scofflaw (which is itself right off of the Whetstone Creek Path Foundation trail).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnihiser View Post
Living on the NW side of town (Hills Park, Bolton), I'd suggest that throwing up sidewalks along Chattahoochee and Carrol would do wonders for connectivity to all the breweries we have on this side of town. With the expansion of The Works on Chattahoochee, I think we will see this happen in the next 18 months...we would then be able to quickly ride/walk to this new brewery, Second Self, Atlanta Brewing, and Scofflaw (which is itself right off of the Whetstone Creek Path Foundation trail).
I have a handful of friends that live in the NW area and agree. I wish they’d build out more of a grid though at the existing industrial use areas. These are swaths if land larger than west midtown- we shouldn’t have culdesacs all feeding into Marietta Boulevard or chattahoochee Ave. The area will be more walkable once it’s built out more, just will take time and hopefully some foresight with the street grid.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

Here's the old Melton's Pro Sound at 468 Ponce. I really thought this building was a goner, nice to see someone put some money into it. The permit says it's splitting into 5 rentable units — a couple will hopefully be restaurants

The rear of the building is pretty big and those are new windows on the east side.

Gorgeous day for a walk, I'd love this section of Ponce to have a better pedestrian experience. There are well placed crosswalks, so that's a start

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:31 PM

I thought that was gone too. A restaurant would be great, and a dive bar would be amazing.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:41 PM

Ponce and North Ave (although more so Ponce since it’s flatter) are ripe for an active pedestrian environment. Decent transit, increasing surrounding density, and a good urban fabric for old and new buildings with retail. I’m waiting for the fast food joints on north ave yo eventually be developed. DQ seems to be hurting.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 12:18 AM

The Anguished Barber coming to Midtown

I've always felt that those Juniper spaces are best suited for neighborhood centric retail like barbers, cleaners, etc.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/anguished...075-peachtree/
Quote:
The Anguished Barber, a new barbershop concept with a full bar and live entertainment, is launching next year in Midtown.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 11:56 PM

Farm Burger to open inside the new Midtown Whole Foods

Quote:
Quick-service burger joint files plans to begin its buildout in the forthcoming multi-level Icon residential tower grocery store.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/farm-burg...-foods-market/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:12 PM

“Chattahoochee Food Works", Scofflaw Brewing Co. planned for "The Works"

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...food-hall.html

Quote:
Selig Enterprises has now landed a new location of Scofflaw Brewing Co. and a food hall from Robert Montwaid, co-founder of Manhattan’s Gansevoort Market. They will join Atlanta home decor retailer Ballard Designs, which opened a flagship store at the project last summer.

The goal? To curate a community that blends makers, designers, retailers and restaurants with office, residential and possibly hotel space. The development will also include 13 acres of greenspace, including a linear park along an old railroad spur.

The first phase of The Works will renovate 27 acres of warehouses, comprising 485,000 square feet of retail and office space. Openings are set for fall 2019 into early 2020. Smith Dalia Architects is the master architect for Phase One.

Montwaid of Manhattan’s Gansevoort Market will open “Chattahoochee Food Works.” The 16,000-square-foot food hall will feature around 30 vendors, including food stalls, shops and a test kitchen for cooking classes and chef-led events.

He said his project will differ from popular Atlanta food halls (such as Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market) in its setting and decor.

“Our markets are comfortable,” Montwaid said, with soft materials and mood lighting. “They are kind of homey.”

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
30 vendors is a sizable amount! Plus the walking connection to Second Self brewery should make this area a bit more inviting. Really hoping we see a handful more of the old rail spurs nearby built out as a local trails between all the developments. In particular, the area between Huff, Marietta Blvd, Collier (if not further north to Defoors), and the tracks to the west of the waterworks is prime for increased urbanization. There's also a handful of transit corridors being floated around this area such as Marietta Blvd itself, but I also wouldn't count out either of the railroad corridors for lines toward the northwest as a long term goal.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:05 PM

Report: Amazon Eyeing Big Go Store In Atlanta Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/a

I assume this would be in an urban location.

Quote:
Amazon is considering bringing its Amazon Go concept to Atlanta, and is eyeing at least one site for a 12K SF store, the Atlanta Business Chronicle reports, citing unspecified plans it reviewed.

Amazon opened its first Go store last year and now has a handful in Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco. The world's largest online retailer is looking to shake up the brick-and-mortar retail model yet again, this time by operating the stores without any cashiers. Customers simply take merchandise and an app bills them for the product — mostly prepared foods and beverages — once they leave the store.

While Amazon Go stores generally range from the size of a small convenience store to a boutique retail shop, the potential Atlanta store reviewed by the ABC would be among the chain's largest. It was unclear how many stores Amazon is considering for the metro area, but the company does plan to operate up to 3,000 Go stores by 2021, Bloomberg reported.
Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:20 PM

Flagship Whole Foods set to open April 5 in Midtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
A four-level flagship Whole Food Market, complete with a rooftop terrace for events, is gearing up to open this spring in Midtown.

Bobby Turner, Whole Foods’ regional president of the South region, shared details Tuesday about the new store during the Midtown Alliance’s annual meeting.

The more than 70,000-square-foot grocery store is set to open April 5, he said. It’s located on the ground-floor of the 39-story “Icon” apartment tower at 14th and West Peachtree streets.

The store will include new locations of Atlanta-based Farmburger and Dtox Juice, and feature some 200 local items, Turner said. That includes a unique King of Pops flavor, he said.

The store will have a rooftop terrace. "We will have TVs. We will have movie nights. There will be Saturday morning yoga. It will be an amazing space where you can see the skyline," Turner said.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 8:11 PM

What to expect at Whole Foods Midtown

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/dini...foods-midtown/

Quote:
In just a few weeks, a new gathering spot will open on 14th Street in Midtown between Spring and West Peachtree, boasting pop-up food carts, a coffee-and-wine bar, sunrise yoga on the roof, a bike tune-up area, a build-your-own avocado toast bar, giant Jenga, and more. But it’s not a new food hall or an entertainment complex, per se. It’s a grocery store.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:25 PM

Café from Thrive Farmers opens at Atlanta Dairies

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
Quote:
Dairies Coffeehouse and Cold Brew Bar officially opened April 13, and most of the traffic thus far has come from people in the neighborhood and the Beltline's Eastside Trail. It is the first tenant to open at the mixed-use development in Reynoldstown.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:41 PM

There haven't been many details, but through an Atlanta Eats video and some articles I think the restaurant that Billy Streck and Craig Richards are opening at the base of lilli is a Mediterranean/Israeli/Turkish concept. Hopefully more news comes out soon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
It's exciting to see businesses starting to open at Atl Dairies. It wasn't that long ago that this would've been huge news but there's so much more cool stuff going on in the city than there used to be - thankfully.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 6:22 PM

Manuels Project Breaks Ground

The main parking lot is completely torn up for the next phase of development at Manuel's Tavern. The last I saw this was to have first floor retail with offices above and fronting a small parking deck. But that was back when it was Green Street (I think)

They still have their overflow parking on the east side of N.Highland and the Clergy parking area by the back door.

The new retail spots on the north end of the original building remain unleased

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 3:24 PM

What's the deal with the space next to Willy's that used to be ParQ? The tarp that's been covering the partially constructed space has been there for over a year!

Did they start construction on these restaurants only to run out of money?

https://whatnowatlanta.com/soulshine...munity-center/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta