HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:31 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Does anyone think we should attempt to reach out to a family member or just leave it be? I think I would like to hear from a community who loved my son, and to which he contributed so much, but I could just be a weirdo in that regard.
I've been pondering your suggestion. For any family, losing one so young is not only sad but also seems to me more lasting than someone older (say my age) passing. I especially can't imagine losing a child.
That said, it has been over two years, and though "time heals" I suspect they still feel a deep sense of loss each day. While I believe the family would appreciate such a gesture, unless they were aware of hie SSP family I don't know what kind of tribute from the folks here would help ease their pain. I would say let it rest.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:59 PM
Registered Ugly

You're probably right. Thanks for the perspective.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:00 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

One of the nation's most pressing questions has been answered...

Quote:
Michiganders or Michiganians? Lawmakers settle it

LANSING — Are you a Michigander or a Michiganian?

In the eyes of the state Legislature, Michigander is the official term for the residents of Michigan and they have a bill that passed unanimously in both the House and Senate this week to prove it.

Tucked into an obscure package of bills that modernizes the 1913 statute creating the Michigan Historical Commission is a passage that strikes out a reference to Michiganians in favor of Michiganders.

The bill says the Historical Commission shall “encourage the public to preserve historic resources and to develop a sense of identity as Michiganders.” The initial reference to Michiganian is crossed out.
Whew. I know America was waiting on the edge of its seat for this contentious issue to be solved.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
One of the nation's most pressing questions has been answered...

Whew. I know America was waiting on the edge of its seat for this contentious issue to be solved.
So glad that situation was resolved.

I'm guessing folks from Lansing are Lansingites.

But I'm quite certain residents of East Lansing are known as Spartans.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:41 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
So glad that situation was resolved.

I'm guessing folks from Lansing are Lansingites.

But I'm quite certain residents of East Lansing are known as Spartans.
This year they might also be known as the Big 10 champs. We'll see...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:27 PM

This was way too close for comfort. We were a person away from having a massacre in the middle of town yesterday, and it barely made the local news.

Quote:
Man charged in Lansing school threat had weapons

Lansing — Authorities say a 19-year-old Michigan man charged following a threat that prompted Lansing Community College to evacuate had rifles and ammunition at the time of his arrest.

Lansing Community College police Sgt. Rodney Bahl said Damian Douglas Walker was arrested Wednesday afternoon at his Lansing-area apartment, shortly after the school’s campuses in Lansing, Delta Township and East Lansing were closed.

The Lansing State Journal reports he was arraigned Thursday on one count of making a false terrorism report or threat. He has requested a court-appointed lawyer.

Bahl says one of Walker’s friends told police Walker told him via text to avoid LCC and sent him video of him loading AR-15 rifle magazines with “thousands of rounds of ammunition on the floor.” Police say they found two rifles and 12 loaded magazines.
Dude was like a half-and-hour from carrying out the plan when the friend contacted the police to get the guy. But, this is just a day ending in "Y" in America, folks.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:04 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Thank God for this guy's compulsion to tell someone what he was up to ahead of the intended act, and for his friend's effort to alert police.

When I drive around and see flags at half mast these days, I have to seriously rack my brain to think, "ok...which mass shooting / massacre / terrorist act is that for again..." there's so many of these incidents stacking up, it's getting hard to keep track / keep up, which is extremely alarming.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:04 PM
arf

I see we have an early candidate for thread of the year.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:08 AM

Capsicum and Docere have become insufferable with their random questions in that subforum. Some are mildly interesting, but it's really hit-and-miss...and lots more misses than hits. lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:36 PM
somewhere in-between

I've been thinking of ideas for other development threads to start, in Michigan. Thoughts include Holland, Muskegon, Jackson, Bay City / Midland / Saginaw triangle area, Traverse City area, or maybe a regional development thread for the entire U.P. I'm not sure if there would be enough interest to justify it though. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:00 AM

Holland and Muskegon could go in a general "West Michigan" development thread. There might be enough for a "Saginaw-Bay City-Midland/MBS/Great Lakes Bay Region" thread. Probably not enough going on - or rather really large-scale urban stuff - for the other ones, though, I guess you can always start them and see where they go so long as it's not stuff about new fast-food restaurants opening and such. lol

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:28 PM
Registered Ugly

Last week I was in Midland. Recently there was a fairly comprehensive reworking of Main Street. Ripped out all the sidewalks and widened them, changed the angled parking to parallel for a few blocks, ripped out all the traffic signals and replaced them with 4-way stops. Also, the beautiful 4 or 5 story brick building that was under construction on Main is now complete. Harkens back to early university architecture.

Dow has always been involved in the development downtown, but I wonder if they are trying to make Midland more appealing given the merger with DuPont.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:11 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Holland and Muskegon could go in a general "West Michigan" development thread. There might be enough for a "Saginaw-Bay City-Midland/MBS/Great Lakes Bay Region" thread. Probably not enough going on - or rather really large-scale urban stuff - for the other ones, though, I guess you can always start them and see where they go so long as it's not stuff about new fast-food restaurants opening and such. lol
Yeah, I've struggled a bit to not make the Kalamazoo thread about that too sometimes (case in point, some of the most recent posts on there are about big-box / strip mall-type developments). Anyway, there's not too much above 4 - 5 stories U/C or proposed in many of these other areas of the state. While I'm more interested in smaller cities and overall urban developments than highrises, a lot of the low-rise stuff probably would not garner much interest on a forum like this.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Capsicum and Docere have become insufferable with their random questions in that subforum. Some are mildly interesting, but it's really hit-and-miss...and lots more misses than hits. lol
It’s ridiculous really! I agree that some of the questions have been well received, but not every singe random thought needs to be a thread, I mean like, come on now!!!!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:08 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Checking in.

I don't even know how many people check this anymore. I haven't even signed in since October. Partially because, after seven years of university, I finally started my career as a planner in August. Calgary urbanists have a facebook group now so I rarely check the local section, too.

Anyway, I hope all is well for everyone who used to hang out in this thread. I'll be back eventually - never gone forever.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:37 PM
somewhere in-between

I created a new thread today for developments in West Michigan that fall outside of Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo metro areas. I will continue to add to it - here is the link - thought to keep it under the regional section. Hopefully it's worthwhile!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 9:51 PM
E pluribus unum

Also checking in.

I still lurk, but hardly post. Haven't come to the Midwest thread much, mostly follow development news in Phoenix. Started a new position at same job back in August and haven't had time for much of anything. I'm off of Facebook again for the umpteenth (and hopefully final) time, other than a professional account that I use.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:47 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Also checking in.

I still lurk, but hardly post. Haven't come to the Midwest thread much, mostly follow development news in Phoenix. Started a new position at same job back in August and haven't had time for much of anything. I'm off of Facebook again for the umpteenth (and hopefully final) time, other than a professional account that I use.
It's been pretty quiet around here. Not sure if folks are busy or have just moved on.

Keep up the good fight with no Facebook. I got rid of mine about 7 years ago. I don't miss it, and life goes on without it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
It's been pretty quiet around here. Not sure if folks are busy or have just moved on.

Keep up the good fight with no Facebook. I got rid of mine about 7 years ago. I don't miss it, and life goes on without it.
Ditto on the Facebook thing! Closed my account in 2008 and never looked back.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 8:58 AM

So, let it be known, you can not bring your "emotional support goat" on a DDOT bus in Detroit. lol

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest