Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:02 AM

Some photos I took a few hours ago of various projects:

Mott Culinary Art Institute

The Ferris Wheel

Foster Coffee Co. in the Dryden Building

McCree parking garage site

Capitol Theatre

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:05 PM

Thanks for doing the update detroitsky, glad to see the Ferris wheel building incubator up and running & the Mott Culinary Art Institute development which seems like its going to have a pretty decent impact on downtown was something I wasn't even aware of although perhaps I haven't been following Flint closely enough these days.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Jalal Abdallah: Following the Comeback Trail of Flint, America's Most Resilient City

By Jalal Abdallah
Deadline Detroit
January 15th, 2018

Venturing to Flint for the first time, I have to admit I set out with mixed expectations. I knew the city had a great history of pushing back against powerful forces like General Motors, the media's negative narrative and the dismal FBI crime stats that remind us yearly of just how dangerous of a place Flint is.

The city has a fighting spirit against naysayers, doubters and sneering bourgeois elitists who look down upon it from their suburban perch.

But I also have to admit that another side of me was expecting a darker, more dismal city: burned out buildings, economic despair and a pervasive attitude of sorrow and gloom. I expected the locals to be a bit more hostile considering, for those of us who have followed the storyline, much of America has relegated the town to a relic of past industrial glory.

What I found instead is a remarkably innovative place with a ton of creative, smart and hopeful people that are leading the initiative to bring folks into the city, particularly downtown. Words that you can never overuse when talking about the people in Flint are "resilient" and" tough."

The story of downtown Flint is often eclipsed by the steady flow of laudatory stories hailing the comeback of Detroit, about an hour south.

Driving down Saginaw Street in Downtown Flint is a throwback to yesteryear. Buildings like the Flint-Genesee County Chamber of Commerce make you feel like you you’re standing in front of the Penobscot Building in Downtown Detroit. But the city is awash with new and upcoming stores and hangout spots, which have brought a youthful vibe to parts of Flint.

The first place I stopped in was The Ferris Wheel building at 615 Saginaw St. It's a microcosm of Downtown Flint’s revitalization. It reopened in November of 2017 after years of being boarded up. The building now serves as a sort of incubator/working space for young entrepreneurs

I stopped at Fosters Coffee Co. ,which is located in the Ferris Wheel, and ordered a cup of coffee and couldn’t help but feel like I was at a coffeehouse in Corktown Detroit, with its rustic vibe and college-aged people. FlintPrints, a commercial printing store, is also located inside the Ferris Wheel. These businesses are examples of more to come.

“People were definitely scared to come into the city after the water crisis, but there definitely has been an uptick of people in the last year or so. UM-Flint built dorms and this has brought a lot of younger people into Flint.” Brown added that Flint Farmer’s Market has been a huge staple to the local economy, and developers continue to update and renovate buildings downtown, turning some into lofts.

“I’m not going to comment on the water crisis, I was asked not to. I will say that the city its coming back in a big way, the Ferris Wheel opened next door and has been a place where new businesses have been able to open and thrive and you see places popping up all over town that attract people to the city.”

I asked him what biggest difference he has seen in Flint’s revival.

“Before the revival, people were not coming down here to do anything other than go to court or take care of some parking ticket. Now, you’ve got shops and restaurants and fun things to do, people can come downtown now and walk around and enjoy the park, grab a cup of coffee, or go see a show. U-M-Flint has been a big part of this revival too; they’ve been essential in bringing in younger people to the city and building those new dorms have been the main reason for it. We also have the Buckham Alley Music Festival in the summer which is a big attraction for not only residents of Flint but also non-residents.”

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...resilient_city

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:07 PM
somewhere in-between

I've usually enjoyed flying out of Flint. Not too many bad experiences. Growing up equidistant between here and DTW, if the prices were comparable, I'd often chose Flint over Metro, due to the hassle-free-ness. The airport is well-sited, and it has lots of room for potential growth.

Quote:
Bishop Airport ranks as third largest in Michigan
Tim Galloway | Flintside
January 12, 2018

FLINT, MI – Now with about 800,000 travelers and handling more than 20 million pounds of cargo a year, Bishop International Airport celebrates its 90th year as the third largest airport in Michigan. The airport has experienced massive growth from those early days and weathered merging airlines, airline bankruptcies, intense security measures, several recessions, and a decline in airline travel. Looking over a scale model created in the 1990s of airport leaders' vision for the facility, Airport Director Craig Williams notes how remarkably similar the airport today is to that vision that was developed 25 years ago...
A pretty neat scale model of the airport from the 90's is still on display there:

Souece: Flintside / Tim Galloway

Lear Corporation is now hiring for up to 600 jobs. There was a job fair on January 17. Entry level base pay is $13.85 per hour.

Quote:
What you need to know if you want a job at the new Lear plant in Flint
Marjory Raymer | Flintside
January 15, 2018

FLINT, Michigan—Lear Corporation is creating up to 600 new jobs in Flint at a 156,000-square-foot facility being built at the former Buick City site in Flint. The first and only job fair announced for the plant so far is set for 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2017, at Mott Community College Regional Technology Center, located on MCC’s main campus at 1401 E. Court Street...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:20 PM
somewhere in-between

Work continues at The Flint Institute of Arts new $5 million Contemporary Craft Wing, which will provide a state-of-the-art space for glass blowing classes and to display recently acquired collections of glass art work. The 11,000 SF addition is scheduled to open in April:

Quote:
See inside the massive Flint Institute of Arts expansion
Shelby Cox | FlintSide
January 23, 2018

FLINT, Michigan—Loud banging echoes through the halls, noticeable even before entering the construction at the Flint Institute of Arts. Thick layers of plastic tarp cover the construction entrance, soon to be home to a massive $5-million, 11,000-square-foot wing that will house more than 300 pieces of contemporary glass and ceramic works.

This year the Flint Institute of Arts marks its 90th year. It is the second-largest art museum in Michigan (topped only by the Detroit Institute of Arts) and home to one of the largest art schools in the nation. FIA received an $8.5 million grant from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation to construct the new wing and expand the art school with a $3.5 million investment that will allow for the teaching of glass blowing...
Two photos from the article:

Source: FlintSide | Mike Naddeo

And several from a bit earlier, found on facebook. There are many more construction progress photos on their facebook page:

It's too bad that all of that beautiful glazed brick is being covered up:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:05 AM

A bit of a summary of what has been accomplished over the past ten years and also a bit of information on upcoming projects this year and efforts to build on the steadily increasing momentum downtown.

Quote:
Uptown investments help revive downtown Flint

By E.B. Allen
The Hub Flint
01/29/2018

Today, as head of URC, Herman sees the fruit of his labor and that of his colleagues and partnering agencies in the past 10 years, including:

-$100 million invested in downtown to support private businesses and public initiatives.
-Management of six downtown properties.
-Anticipated development of new projects valued between $75 million and $100 million

Among the most significant developments Uptown has launched are restoration of the riverfront, a mixed-income housing complex with Lansing-based PK Housing, at the site of the vacant YWCA, and a hotel. The hotel and mixed-income housing efforts will begin construction in 2018 and are projected for completion in about a year.

URC is making strategic efforts to further immerse Flint’s 30,000 college and university students into the downtown culture through additional partnerships and direct outreach to young adults on area campuses.
http://www.thehubflint.com/uptown-in...owntown-flint/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 8:16 PM

With a planned revitalization project for the Flint River and the transformation of Chevy in the Hole into the Chevy Commons Park the Flint Riverfront is looking increasingly attractive. Dredging and the cleaning up of coal tar from the soil at the former Consumers Energy gas power plant have been completed. The Hamilton Dam removal was pushed back to this year because of delays and was delayed again by the recent heavy rains and snow-melt, the current was moving to swiftly on February 23rd to safely proceed according to the Army Corps of Engineers.

Quote:
Flooding pushes back demolition of Hamilton Dam in downtown Flint

Feb 23 2018
MLive

Water is moving through the dam at rapid speeds and a demolition schedule cannot be finalized until the water begins to recede, said Amy McMillan, director of the Genesee County Parks Commission.

The demolition was initially scheduled for 2017 but was moved back because the city needed to wait for Consumers Energy to finish dredging and capping the Flint River.

The dredging of the Flint River was completed in late fall of 2017, the capping was completed in early winter of 2017, said Kyle McCree, community affairs manager for Consumers Energy in Genesee County.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...demolitio.html

Quote:
$23 million 'eco industrial park' planned at former Buick City site in Flint
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation is leading planning

By SHERRI WELCH
Crain's Detroit Business
February 27, 2018

-State says Mott Foundation is leading planning for about140 acres
-Plan envisions environmentally friendly warehousing, packaging and light industrial space
-Biking and walking trails to connect property to Flint River, surrounding neighborhoods

The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation is leading planning for a $23 million project to redevelop part of the former Buick City vehicle manufacturing site in Flint into an "eco industrial park" that could bring 300 jobs back to Flint in its initial phase.

As envisioned, the Buick City Industrial Park would create new, environmentally friendly warehousing, packaging and light industrial space, along with green space that includes biking and walking trails to connect the property to the Flint River and surrounding neighborhoods.

The Buick City Industrial Park project builds on other economic development efforts that Mott has supported in its backyard. They include the Flint Farmers Market, the historic rehab of the Capitol Theatre for mixed use, and the rehabilitation of the former Woolworth Building on Saginaw Street in downtown Flint to house the Mott Community College Culinary Facility and commercial dining and bakery spaces.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...k-city-site-in

Quote:
Plenty of interest in Buick City property beyond 'eco industrial park,' owner says

By SHERRI WELCH
Crain's Detroit Business
February 28, 2018

-RACER Trust says there's other interest in the site
-Environmentally friendly industrial park proposed by Mott Foundation and supported by the state could be one outcome
-No deal in place yet for that project

RACER Trust, the owner of the former Buick City property in Flint, said there's other interest in the property beyond the proposed "eco industrial park" that became public Tuesday.

While the environmentally friendly industrial park and green space with walking and biking trails is one possible outcome, "it is important to note that RACER Trust's Buick City property is available for purchase and redevelopment and that there is other market interest in this property," the trust said in an emailed statement.

"... No party has exclusive negotiating rights to the property," it said.

Two companies have already purchased pieces of the site.

American Spiralweld Pipe Co. acquired 19 acres of the larger site in March 2014 to build a 180,000-square-foot American manufacturing plant, creating 50-60 jobs.

And last fall, Lear Corp. broke ground on a $33.7 million manufacturing plant on 30 acres of the Buick City property. The new plant is expected to create 600 jobs and set to launch seat production in April.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ndustrial-park

Some bonus riverfont pics from an update on Chevy Commons and a statewide trail network starting at Belle Isle in Detroit.

Quote:
Pedestrian bridge over Flint River to connect Chevy Commons to Carriage Town

May 9, 2017
MLive

Chevy Commons.

Site of new pedestrian bridge across the Flint River and Swartz Creek concrete embankments to be removed and restored.

Work at the Consumers Energy site.

Rendering of Flint River after revitalization project.

FLINT, MI -- A planned pedestrian bridge over the Swartz Creek and Flint River will connect two parts of the statewide Iron Belle Trail as part of the Riverfront Restoration Project.

This will complete 2600 linear feet of the trail that goes through Chevy Commons to the rest of the trail that travels through downtown Flint up to Bluebell Beach in Genesee County.

The state Iron Belle Trail will, once complete, connect Belle Isle Park in Detroit to Ironwood on the Upper Peninsula's west side. It is about 69 percent complete, according to the Michigan DNR website.

Work will also continue as part of the Riverfront Restoration project to eventually transform all 60 acres of the former Chevy in the Hole industrial wasteland into green space with walking paths, woodlands, wetlands and grasslands.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...r_flint_r.html

Last edited by Docta_Love; Feb 28, 2018 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:10 AM

A few photos from earlier today:

Mott's Culinary Art Institute

Swayze Court Apartments, opened winter 2017

McCree parking garage site. Back towards the church you can see works started on the new surface lot. I believe the entire block is going to be a surface lot within the next few months. While I would much rather see buildings here, it's better than a crumbling, unused and unattractive parking garage I think.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:24 AM
somewhere in-between

to all three of those.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:39 AM

http://nbc25news.com/news/local/the-hamilton-dam-symbol-of-flint-water-is-being-demol

Title of post should be: The Hamilton Dam, symbol of Flint water, is being demolished

http://nbc25news.com/news/local/the-...ing-demolished

Quote:
The Hamilton Dam, symbol of Flint water, is being demolished

by Joel FeickMonday, March 19th 2018

FLINT, Mich. - Built in 1920, the Hamilton Dam became a symbol, the picture many used to define water in Flint.

But it's deteriorated to the point were it's unsafe.

A long-time Flint resident, who loves the river, says he's encouraged that its finally coming down.

Lloyd Watson says, "it's getting bad. It needs to come down. I'm afraid someone might fall through it. Eventually it's gonna come down on its own."

About $3 million in state funds will be used to demolish the dam.

I was down there a week ago, but not much was happening yet. A crane and other equipment were on site.

Last edited by robk1982; Mar 27, 2018 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:14 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I realize Flint doesn't have the money to fix it or would want to fix it, but it's going to be missed by some of us. They don't make dams like that, anymore, you know, the ones with footbridges above them.

hamilton Dam by marcia.david.devoe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:51 PM

Too bad it doesn't look like that anymore. Removal work begins today on.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
MLive has some photos - here.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 8:07 AM

Quote:
The picture is from just last October, unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anyway, guess this means a greater flow downriver, so that should be visually interesting in a positive way apart from the other changes they plan to make.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:36 AM

That picture was uploaded in October, but my guess is that it is at least 20 years old (more like 30?). The first-give away is that all of the gates on the dam appear to be working. Ever since I've been home from college and working in downtown Flint (9 years), only the middle two gates were working. The second give-away is that the southern-most arch (farthest one in the picture) is intact in that picture.

Can't post the picture from this article, but this is what the dam looked like more recently on a nice summer (?) day. Notice the arch on the right side of the picture is missing.

http://www.abc12.com/content/news/Ha...471326744.html

Here's a story from 2010, and notice the damage to that arch is already evident. The picture is also a file photo, so it could have been taken earlier than 2010.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...pen_house.html

picture from the article, taken by Ryan Garza of mlive.com

Last edited by robk1982; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:24 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
That picture was uploaded in October, but my guess is that it is at least 20 years old (more like 30?). The first-give away is that all of the gates on the dam appear to be working. Ever since I've been home from college and working in downtown Flint (9 years), only the middle two gates were working. The second give-away is that the southern-most arch (farthest one in the picture) is intact in that picture.

Can't post the picture from this article, but this is what the dam looked like more recently on a nice summer (?) day. Notice the arch on the right side of the picture is missing.

http://www.abc12.com/content/news/Ha...471326744.html

Here's a story from 2010, and notice the damage to that arch is already evident. The picture is also a file photo, so it could have been taken earlier than 2010.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...pen_house.html

picture from the article, taken by Ryan Garza of mlive.com
Good eye.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:04 PM

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/81...ilton+Dam1.jpg

Still beautiful in its decayed state, though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 7:31 AM

Its too bad they couldn't at least save some of those balustrades for a local project or something. Refresh my memory, they're planning on allowing recreational use of the river, right?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:46 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Its too bad they couldn't at least save some of those balustrades for a local project or something. Refresh my memory, they're planning on allowing recreational use of the river, right?
Yes. The goals of the ongoing work along this stretch of river are at least threefold. Contaminant mitigation, riverbank stabilization / re-naturalization, and recreation. This article in Crain's is from about a year ago but explains the overarching goals well.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:54 AM
somewhere in-between

An update on three big developments, each with a mixed income housing component, that are coming to this city - the former YWCA building, Clark Commons, and the former Coolidge Elementary school repurposing.

Quote:
3 new housing developments, $50 million investment headed to Flint
Jake Carah | FlintSide
March 29, 2018

Three massive developments are headed for Flint this summer featuring apartments, townhouses, business space, and community centers. They represent more than $50 million worth of investment in Flint and a major shift in how affordable housing can—and should be—an opportunity to rebuild communities...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest