HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
some are, some are not. The parts of NE philly that attract a lot of immigrants continue to grow. The outlying areas near the city's NW and NE borders are generally stagnant or slightly declining. But it's nothing like the massive hemorraging that took place from the rowhouse neighborhoods from the 70s through 90s.
Literally nowhere in the NW is declining anymore. This is why I view these statistics skeptically.

Developers are literally shoving $600K town and twin homes throughout Manayunk and Roxborough (yes, Roxborough), Chestnut Hill is seeing its first density along Germantown in generations (and there is a healthy amount of tear down activity for uber luxury new construction), the Mt Airy's (including East Mount Airy) have completely filled in, and Germantown (and West Germantown in particular) are on fire. On the east end, you have Ken Weinstein's repositioning of the Old Wayne Junction station, but you also have tons of renovations happening everywhere. The Tuplehocken Station area of West Germantown has become virtually indistinguishable from West Mount Airy, with nearly every block in perfect condition, a new Waldorf School and even an Ultimo Coffee, with homes going under contract for $500k-$700K in DAYS. I bought a house in West Germantown a few years ago (for $70K) and seeing ANYTHING in West Germantown for more than $200K was rare, with homes on only the finest blocks and the best condition occassionally going for $300-$350k (Blue Bell Hill excluded).

There's just a massive amount of energy in Germantown at the moment.

Add to that, East Falls (which has new construction on the river, finally) and a Callahan Ward proposal for 30+ new homes for sale, Wissahickon (which never declined), and Cedarbrook, where home prices seem to be at an all time high, it seems literally unbelievable to say the NW is declining.

The only place I'd agree there is flight is in the NE, but even there the statistics I think are lying. Mayfair is all of a sudden about 25% Chinese and growing, quickly. I wouldn't call having a contigent of cash buyers who own businesses fleeing NY to repopulate neighborhoods where decline was presumed as a bad thing. In fact, I would call it a second lease on life.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:30 PM

Sorry to get back on topic . Just a note re: 100% leasing: The building is 100% leased, but it is not currently full. Move ins (and completion of units) are more or less happening from the top down. We don't move in until September and we aren't in a particularly low unit (about halfway up the tower). So it may be a little while before the building is actually at capacity. FWIW, the common amenity spaces are killer and the outdoor areas are scheduled to open July 1--hoping they will be equally nice.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:44 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb233541 View Post
Sorry to get back on topic . Just a note re: 100% leasing: The building is 100% leased, but it is not currently full. Move ins (and completion of units) are more or less happening from the top down. We don't move in until September and we aren't in a particularly low unit (about halfway up the tower). So it may be a little while before the building is actually at capacity. FWIW, the common amenity spaces are killer and the outdoor areas are scheduled to open July 1--hoping they will be equally nice.
That answers something I was wondering about — how could they possibly handle the logistics of so many near simultaneous move-ins? I was picturing a miles-long line of trucks jamming Center City while waiting to enter the loading docks.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:32 PM

The Harper got a lot of trees yesterday:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Great photos Jawn! Good size tree on the roof top.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Off topic, but does anyone know that building just south of 1818 Market that I think is finishing construction?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:25 PM

The little orange and white guy under construction?

That's the POD Hotel.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

The only place I'd agree there is flight is in the NE, but even there the statistics I think are lying. Mayfair is all of a sudden about 25% Chinese and growing, quickly. I wouldn't call having a contigent of cash buyers who own businesses fleeing NY to repopulate neighborhoods where decline was presumed as a bad thing. In fact, I would call it a second lease on life.
That's a last 5 years phenomenon, though, and these stats are a bit old. Before that, Mayfair was getting a lot of section 8 renters. Rightly or wrongly, residents felt like they weren't taking care of the neighborhood. But the new growth is mostly an Asian, non Section 8 population.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:21 PM

Barry's Bootcamp coming to the Sansom Street retail side.

https://www.barrysbootcamp.com/studio/philadelphia/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:01 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:04 PM

K'Far looks to be opening today. I didn't stick around to wait in line or buy anything. Line was getting long, though. Not clear from the picture.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post

K'Far looks to be opening today. I didn't stick around to wait in line or buy anything. Line was getting long, though. Not clear from the picture.
They've been doing soft-openings, staff training for the last week or so. The space - including the outdoor space - looks fantastic. Good addition to the 'hood.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
They've been doing soft-openings, staff training for the last week or so. The space - including the outdoor space - looks fantastic. Good addition to the 'hood.
It looks nice and good: https://philly.eater.com/2019/7/29/8...nov-steve-cook I assume they will do some kind of grand opening party, but this doesn't say when.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:46 AM

I was here yesterday to drop stuff off for a Closing with Berkshire Hathaway that I can't make. Walked around while there. Inside of this building is looking great! Really nice job. Couldn't snap pics as my phone had died. K'Far is also very good.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:06 PM

New apartment tower is weak compensation for loss of Philly’s art deco Boyd Theater

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190912.html

Article about Inga lamenting the loss of the Boyd for a ho-hum apartment tower. I'm a big fan of art deco but have to say that the auditorium itself was a pretty ho-hum example of the style. The lobby is pretty cool and has been saved as far as I know but when compared to other examples, like the Fox in Detroit, it's not that impressive.

(credit: https://michpics.wordpress.com/2008/...er-of-detroit/)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
New apartment tower is weak compensation for loss of Philly’s art deco Boyd Theater

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190912.html

Article about Inga lamenting the loss of the Boyd for a ho-hum apartment tower. I'm a big fan of art deco but have to say that the auditorium itself was a pretty ho-hum example of the style. The lobby is pretty cool and has been saved as far as I know but when compared to other examples, like the Fox in Detroit, it's not that impressive.

(credit: https://michpics.wordpress.com/2008/...er-of-detroit/)
The theater was in horrible condition before this project. It wasn't even in decent condition when it was operating as a movie house.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
The theater was in horrible condition before this project. It wasn't even in decent condition when it was operating as a movie house.

I've never heard anyone claim that it was Philly's best theater, but it was the last one standing, hence the desire to save it. I think there was a theater at 20th and Market that was suppose to be top tier.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I've never heard anyone claim that it was Philly's best theater, but it was the last one standing, hence the desire to save it. I think there was a theater at 20th and Market that was suppose to be top tier.
That would've been the Mastbaum, with a grand staircase modeled after the Paris Opera. My mother never forgave them for tearing that down. A priest salvaged some of the marble and it now comprises the altar rail at Holy Cross church in Springfield.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:58 AM

^There's a little 'what used to be here' poster near where that theater used it on Market Street -- it looked amazing.

Over 4,700 seats.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1207

https://hiddencityphila.org/2015/03/...th-and-market/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive