HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 9:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Times Square 1984

I vaguely remember the original Times Square redevelopment plan (some pics to follow) and didn't think it was that bad. I suppose I'm happier with what we have now, but the Skyscraper Museum has a presentation on what kicked off the proposed redesigns that followed...

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 9:26 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3034744/...t-couldve-been

The Times Square That Could've Been
A NEW EXHIBITION SHOWCASES A SKYSCRAPER DESIGN COMPETITION THAT HAD BEEN LOST TO HISTORY.

Quote:
These days the most contentious debate in Times Square pits cops against superheroes, as street performers dressed as characters like Spider-Man and Minnie Mouse have clashed with police over their right to accept donations. Thirty years ago, a far loftier Times Square debate consumed the city, as developers and architects wrestled with preservationists and theater owners over the question of how build skyward and reduce crime while preserving the neighborhood’s frenetic energy and cultural heritage.

A new exhibition at the Skyscraper Museum in lower Manhattan brings that debate to life through its rediscovery of submissions from a 1984 “ideas competition,” which was organized by the Municipal Arts Society and the National Endowment for the Arts after critics blasted plans for four skyscrapers near the intersection of 42nd Street, Broadway, and Seventh Avenue...

Original proposal

Tim Prentice

William Sloan

Gilbert Gorski

David Sutter

Lee Dunnette

RANK LUPO & DANIEL ROWEN WITH KAREN MALOOF

RICHARD HAAS, JUDITH DIMAIO, AND WILLIAM PALMORE

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ahh, memories. I first visited Times Square in 1986. I actually miss the squalor and licentiousness of the Times Square of old.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:57 PM

I remember reading about this awhile back. Still, I stand by my opinion that if we could've preserved at least this one building, it would've been a better icon than what it became. It could've fit right in at night if it got the same LED treatment as 230 Park.

image source

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^what an awesome shot. To be able to spend a couple of weeks in NYC during the roaring 20s (or just before)...
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
[b]Original proposal

What the heck happened to this? A street to roof electronic sign? That's better than anything I've seen in Times Square since.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I remember reading about this awhile back. Still, I stand by my opinion that if we could've preserved at least this one building, it would've been a better icon than what it became. It could've fit right in at night if it got the same LED treatment as 230 Park.
Maybe, but what was built behind it, the Time Square Tower, I always thought should be like twice as tall as it is. 726 feet is like peanuts in the NYC skyline today. As the focal point of Time Square it should be more dramatic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 2:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i remember those plans -- can you imagine a times square entirely perpetually frozen in that horrible early 1980's pomo styling? actually to be fair those renders aren't bad, but still its a bit much screaming early 80s for me. i lived through enough of that ugly crap style and could do without enduring a whole neighborhood of it. i prefer the mishmash modern times square of today -- its more new yorky.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:57 PM

Vibrancy in spades, but scuzzy.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 8:01 PM
them bones

Ugh, Philip Johnson at the height of his powers and worst era of his portfolio.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture