HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 8:28 PM

I agree that preventative action is more important (youth clubs, drop-in centres, school programs, etc.) are all better than locking them up forever. However some individuals need tougher sentences and this is mostly repeat offencers. you can't rehabilitate those that are not habilitatable.

anyway, let's all be happy we live in a country where we have the ability to vote. it's a great country no matter who runs it. (group hug guys c'mon)

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 8:42 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
Shelley might bring some good though she does have hands on experience witch is something that's needed at the federal level and not some pencil head politition
Experience... sure, at making media statements and providing 'non-answers' (great experience for the political side, but being effective is another matter). Was she ever involved in policy development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg
anyway, let's all be happy we live in a country where we have the ability to vote. it's a great country no matter who runs it. (group hug guys c'mon)
A classic cop-out in political discussion, but it suits me as well, so I'll drink the Kool-Aid you're serving up. Cheers!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:23 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Yup, you were right about St.B (I do pat myself on the back, though, for being dead-on with the NDP, Bloc, Green and Independents ).

I had underestimated the amount of narrow-minded CJOB listeners in St.B. There was also a surge of Con support, nationally, on the 13th and 14th which didn't show up in the polls. I hadn't put much stock into it, but I'm now thinking that indeed people were influenced at thanksgiving dinners by family members.

The only thing I'm taking comfort in with these results is that the Harper Cons were only capable of a minority - even when running against the weakest Liberal party in Liberal party history.
Actually when you think about it, Glover is a pretty good fit for St.B

Despite her suburban hockey mom appeal, she is also Metis and speaks fluent French.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Oct 17, 2008 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:26 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
A classic cop-out in political discussion, but it suits me as well, so I'll drink the Kool-Aid you're serving up. Cheers!

That's hilarious..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

From what I hear from a friend who was working on the Thomas Steen campaign, there were quite a few shenanigans pulled in Elmwood-Transcona on election night.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:35 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

On a different note, kudos to DowntownWpg for predicting that social conservatives in Provencher would prove themselves hypocrites.

I still remember seeing good old Vic foaming around the mouth at an Anti-Gay rally talking about the sanctity of marriage.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Actually when you think about it, Glover is a pretty good fit for St.B

Despite her suburban hockey mom appeal, she is also Metis and speaks fluent French.
...and she has 5 kids.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 10:59 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Economic uncertainty could affect Manitoba government's plans: Doer
Last Updated: Friday, October 17, 2008 | 4:12 PM CT CBC News

Will the Manitoba government backtrack on its promise to cut taxes for businesses?

NDP Premier Gary Doer seemed to suggest Friday that global financial problems could change the government's plans for the province.

Doer, heading off to Montreal Friday to talk with other Canadian premiers about the volatile economy, said Manitoba may fast-track some infrastructure projects — such as upgrades to Winnipeg's wastewater treatment system — to get them done ahead of tougher economic times.

But when asked if he would also accelerate promised tax cuts for businesses, Doer replied: "The first question you should ask is, 'Will you honour those?'"

The answer to his question, however, was a bit unclear.

In releasing its latest budget last April, Doer said the government would cut the small business tax rate to one per cent in January 2009, and cut the general corporation income tax rate to 12 per cent in July 2009, a cut of one percentage point to each.

"Everything is subject to balancing the budget," he said Friday.

"We will continue to look at revenues and expenditures and come forward, and I would not speculate at all … we're doing all our due diligence, as you would expect. That's where we are — doing due diligence."

Opposition leader Hugh McFadyen, a Progressive Conservative, said he was not surprised to hear Doer hedging.

"They've always put an asterisk next to those numbers in the budgets and said, 'subject to balanced budget requirements,'" he said.

"Well, the fact is, Bill 38 doesn't require them to balance their budget anymore."

Bill 38, the Balanced Budget, Fiscal Management and Taxpayer Accountability Act, passed earlier this month, allows the government to balance its budget over four years, rather than one, as was previously required.

Doer met with business and labour leaders in Manitoba on Thursday, ahead of the Montreal premiers' meeting, and said Friday he would raise several topics they had discussed, including increasing business access to credit and enhancing trade with China, India, Europe and other markets.

Manitoba’s diversified economy is performing relatively well and is expected to be among the better performers in 2008, Doer added. The province is also outperforming the Canadian average on a majority of indicators including retail sales, weekly income and overall exports

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
NDP Premier Gary Doer seemed to suggest Friday that global financial problems could change the government's plans for the province.

Doer, heading off to Montreal Friday to talk with other Canadian premiers about the volatile economy, said Manitoba may fast-track some infrastructure projects — such as upgrades to Winnipeg's wastewater treatment system — to get them done ahead of tougher economic times.
Why is Doer in such a hurry to get these infrastructure projects out of the way?

In theory, isn't a recession a great time for major public works projects?

I'm thinking much lower construction costs, and a means of job creation during difficult times.

I don't think I'll ever understand the popularity of this premier.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 2:36 AM
Capitalist

This is pretty basic old school economics...

Kaysian economics suggests the best time to introduce major government projects and tax cuts is during periods of slowing economic growth or declining economies.

Not a bad idea under current economic global conditions, although Manitoba is holding up very well.

Last edited by newflyer; Oct 18, 2008 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 5:16 AM
Density and complexity

Wow, Newflyer supporting government intervention in the economy?!? Nixon was right: "We're all Kaysians now."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 5:36 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Wow, Newflyer supporting government intervention in the economy?!? Nixon was right: "We're all Kaysians now."
I am not supporting government intervention, but I'm always for lowering taxes ... and infrastructure needs investment... but if we were all true Kaysians, than we'd see government cut its spending during the good years too.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 12:28 PM

Simard blames DION and Green Shift. (I AGREE)

Simard blames Dion, Green Shift
By: Mia Rabson

OTTAWA - Defeated Liberal MP Ray Simard says Stéphane Dion's leadership and the unpopular Green Shift platform are the main reasons he lost his seat in Parliament.

Simard, who had won three previous elections in Saint Boniface and represented the riding since 2002, was defeated by Conservative Shelly Glover Tuesday by over 4,700 votes.

"We knocked on 20,000 doors and called every voter in the riding but in the end Liberals didn't come out to vote," said Simard.

"The leadership was a concern on the doorstep. So was the Green Shift.” It is only the fourth time Saint Boniface has elected a Conservative and is the first time since 1984 a Liberal hasn't won the southeast Winnipeg seat."

Simard didn't directly call for Dion's resignation but said the party needs to rebuild itself from scratch which would require a change in leadership.

"You can't rebuild a party without reviewing the leadership," said Simard.

Dion has called a press conference for Monday in Ottawa where it is widely speculated he will step down after less than two years as the Liberal leader. The calls for his resignation had begun even before the election was over but are developing a fever pitch in the days since.

Dion has not made a public statement since election night. He has been holed up at Stornoway, the official residence of the Leader of the Opposition in Ottawa, listening to the advice of his various aides as he makes his decision on what to do next. Simard said the quicker a new leader can be chosen the better.

"It has to happen quickly so everyone gets their bearings back and we can get back to focusing on the opposition," said Simard.

There is a policy convention already scheduled for May in Vancouver which is the time most believe a new leader will be chosen.

Simard said chief among the new plans for rebuilding the Liberal party will have to be a strategy to bring back the Liberal support in Western Canada.

Only seven seats west of Ontario were won by Liberals Tuesday. That is half of the seats won in 2006. The Liberals also slipped to third place in the popular vote in the west behind the Conservatives and the NDP.

"You can't run a party with just seven members elected in half the country," said Simard.

Overall the Liberals won 27 fewer seats than they did in 2006, and the share of the popular vote nationwide was the lowest it has been since the Confederation election of 1867. It is right now largely represented only in Toronto, Montreal and the Atlantic.

In Manitoba, the party was reduced to just one seat - Anita Neville's in Winnipeg South Centre.

Simard, 50, isn't sure what he will do next and hasn't decided yet whether he will remain part of the Liberal Party or move on from politics altogether.

Dion's leadership was tenuous from the start. He beat front runners Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae in a surprising come from behind victory that left the party fractured. Dion never received the support of the entire party and his Green Shift carbon tax plan was considered complicated and ill-timed.

Ignatieff and Rae are both said to be eyeing another run at the leader's job. So are former New Brunswick Premier Frank McKenna, former Finance Minister John Manley and New Brunswick MP Dominic LeBlanc.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 2:42 PM

I am a big Dion supporter, and it's been obvious since the leadership convention that Simard didn't like Dion at all and has made it pretty clear to the media. People like Simard are the reason the media talks about 'rifts' in the Liberal party.

So now there is speculation about John Manley? Why didn't he just run for the leadership in 2006.. he would have won, and the party wouldn't be in this mess now.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 2:44 PM

Quote:
From what I hear from a friend who was working on the Thomas Steen campaign, there were quite a few shenanigans pulled in Elmwood-Transcona on election night.
Please elaborate.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 6:48 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
Please elaborate.
Most of it has already been documented in the press.

My friend was the fellow who caught an election official plugging a ballot box with foney votes when nobody was looking.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 7:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

Kaysian economics suggests the best time to introduce major government projects and tax cuts is during periods of slowing economic growth or declining economies.
If companies don't pay taxes when they don't make a profit, how are tax cuts going to help them? Sure, it will help them when they become profitable again, but looking just at forestry, they never do become profitable. They go under. And big government projects and cutting government spending don't quite go hand in hand, I think. Especially when you throw in tax cuts, that's just asking for a deficit, and having to borrow money is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Keynesian, btw. Now tell me why I don't understand the theory you can't spell the name of.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:25 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Most of it has already been documented in the press.

My friend was the fellow who caught an election official plugging a ballot box with foney votes when nobody was looking.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if this witness account of your friend's is true, I can't foresee how he or anyone could know just what party the phony ballots were supporting. Did he see which candidate's name the "X" was beside?

People assume it would be NDP votes (because they won), but it could have also been votes for Steen that the elections official was stuffing in.

Remember, the Conservatives in Manitoba have a not-so-distant history of serious violations of our election laws (Filmon & Sokolyk, 1995 provincial election). I'm just saying, the elections official could just as likely be a Conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer

If companies don't pay taxes when they don't make a profit, how are tax cuts going to help them? Sure, it will help them when they become profitable again, but looking just at forestry, they never do become profitable. They go under. And big government projects and cutting government spending don't quite go hand in hand, I think. Especially when you throw in tax cuts, that's just asking for a deficit, and having to borrow money is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Keynesian, btw. Now tell me why I don't understand the theory you can't spell the name of.
Exactly. In fact, the Harper Cons essentially went through the campaign yapping about fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets. Then late last week, Harper and Jim 'The Ludicrous Leprechaun' Flaherty conceded that there will have to be deficit spending in 2009. Merrill Lynch indicated that we'll have about a $10-Billion spending deficit in the 2009/10 fiscal year.

It truly didn't have to be this way. A dangerous 2% cut to the GST (1% would have been more reasonable), the second 1% cut at an annual cost of $6-Billion and it came well after the credit crisis and the economic slow-down began.

As well, $8.8-Billion spending on pork-barrel and non-essential items in the few months leading up to the election (June 2nd to September 4th). In fact, it was the Canadian Taxpayer's Federation that decried the $8.8-Billion pre-election spending (which is ironic as the CTF is a group normally participating in a four-way circle-jerk with the Cons, the Fraser Institute and the National Citizen's Coalition).

Yeah, the Cons are great managers of the Canadian public purse! And those Harper tax cuts really comes in handy when a year later the economy tanks.

Just watch the Cons try to hastily explain their way out of it, by claiming that they weren't warned about the "R" word or even just an economic slow-down (or "correction"), prior to the dangerous spending and unreasonable tax cuts. This has been on the horizon as long as they've been in office. Just have to look to our US neighbours to see it coming. Duh!

$10-B Deficit spending for 2009/10: http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/518341

2008 pre-election spending: http://www.taxpayer.com/main/news.php?news_id=2954

How and when the credit crisis began: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rnrock.banking

The cost of the second GST cut (which came after many warnings of the economic troubles on the horizon): http://www.canada.com/topics/news/st...33ed9a&k=95436

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Oct 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:12 PM
The Loyal Opposition

All in all, IMO, a good thrown speech (given the economic times). There is even room to continue on course with business and personal tax cuts. I'm also pleased that the prov is speeding up infrastructure work, which is the right thing to do in economic downturns.

All the while, maintaining a balanced budget (and the PCs were against a rainy day fund!).

I've been particularly happy of the continued commitment to expansions at UofW, UofM, Red River and Brandon U.

My guess is many of you will be happy that they remain fully committed to CentrePort, as well as substantial renovations to the Manitoba Housing buildings in the core, notably the building around Central Park.

Here's the full thrown speech:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/throne.html

And, here's a decent enough summary if you don't quite have the time to look over the full thing:

Doer government staying the course

By: Mary Agnes Welch
Updated: November 20 at 06:22 PM CST

Amid much pomp but a crumbling global economy, Lt.-Gov. John Harvard delivered the Doer government's 12th speech from the throne this afternoon, promising a stay-the-course approach to the province's finances and a host of small legislative changes.

Those include a long-debated ban on smoking in cars when kids are present and a ban like Ontario's on cell phone use while driving.

A list of small tax cuts Premier Gary Doer promised in the 2007 election and laid out in last spring's budget will kick in as planned, despite hints earlier this fall that Doer was thinking of delaying some of them.

Modest cuts to personal, small business and corporate tax rates will be made Jan. 1.

With a looming national recession, Doer repeated his mantra that Manitoba's economy outperforms most others in Canada. But he said the public wants predictability.

"They don't want theatre. They don't want gimmicks," Doer told reporters. "They want straight talk and prudent action."

The premier also promised to phase out logging in the province's 79 parks, something environmental activists have been demanding and the province has been hedging on for years.

Doer offered no timeline for the phase-out, saying the province has been working with the major logging companies, all of which normally have licences that last years allowing them to log. An announcement is expected during this session of the provincial legislature, which starts with the throne speech and wraps up in two weeks.

The province is also taking action on the plastic bags that bedevil landfills, thought Doer stopped short of an outright ban many jurisdictions have already implemented.

Instead, the province will ban bags that aren't recyclable and look to recycle 50 per cent of the bags that are.

Some lingering pieces of legislation that failed to pass earlier this fall, including a crack down on puppy mills and new legislation to create tax-increment financing zones, will be revived.

maryagnes.welch@freepress.mb.ca

Throne Speech Highlights

The Doer government will bring in new legislation to:

continue with promised corporate, business and personal tax cuts despite an uncertain economy over the next year.

ban cell phones while driving.

ban adults smoking in cars with children.

work over the next few years to banning plastic shopping bags.

limit the over-the-counter sale of bear repellants (pepper spray), which is sometimes used as a weapon in muggings and assaults.

limit new logging in provincial parks and phase-out existing logging in provincial parks.

The province will also continue with already-promised legislation, including:

more funding for police and prosecutors.

a new Manitoba Police Act to bring uniform standards to all provincial police agencies and make these agencies more accountable.

a new food labeling safety act.

legislation to eliminate government health-care premiums or "tray fees".

The province also said it will accelerate its four-year $4.7-billion infrastructure plan to boost economic activity. They are;

New general hospital in Selkirk

Expansion to Pine Falls Health Centre

Upgrades to St. Anne and Bethesda hospitals

New housing units in Brandon, Thompson, and The Pas

New post-secondary education facilities in The Pas, Thompson, Brandon and Winnipeg

Waste-water treatment plants in Portage la Prairie, Neepawa, Brandon and Winnipeg

The first leg on an all-weather road on the east side of Lake Winnipeg

Upgrade sections of the Trans-Canada Highway, Provincial Highways 6, 10 and 75

Expand its old housing retrofit strategy

Premier Gary Doer also said his government wants to push ahead with its CentrePort development, the creation of an inland port transportation and cargo hub near Winnipeg's airport.

Doer said to move forward on the 20,000-acre site it will reduce the aviation fuel tax for cargo flights to 1

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Boring, seems like Gary is just giving us more more of the status quo.

I guess what I don't get about this guy is he has so much political capital. I mean Doer was practically coronated in the last election, despite my best efforts to prevent this by voting PC.

With such popularity why is he so affraid to actually take a stand and do something? He could easily make Winnipeg a domed city if he wanted and voters would probably go with it.

Where's the vision Mr. Premier?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan