HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I could have sworn that the conceptual plan for the TCH through Brandon involved building a new bypass around the bypass a little bit to the north. I guess the existing TCH is just too far gone with development to be properly freeway-ized.
I think there’s still sufficient ROW to put interchanges at both legs of Highway 10, but I can also get behind a new bypass which will also serve to link Highway 110 onto Highway 10 north of the airport.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:02 PM

It's the same situation as the 1 and 16 interchange,. There were plans done but I cant remember exactly what the outcome was. I thought it was interchanges at the 2 legs of #10, with service road (s) being built on the backside of the current developments. The interchanges were like half interchanges. A clover leaf split into 2. You can exit at the first interchange to the local road, but there was not access at the second interchange type thing. If that makes sense.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I could have sworn that the conceptual plan for the TCH through Brandon involved building a new bypass around the bypass a little bit to the north. I guess the existing TCH is just too far gone with development to be properly freeway-ized.
There are service roads on both the north and south sides of the TCH, does anyone actually believe MB would build a couple interchanges on the TCH through Brandon to actually make the road free flowing?

Ans. When pigs fly!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba likes proposing "interchanges - cloverleafs" too much, almost like they are the only design available here. Like most other highway intersections in the Province, a simple and relatively inexpensive Diamond Interchange would suffice just fine.

Cloverleafs and newer more complex interchanges should only be required on major highway to highway intersections (like Hwy 1 & 16). I would rather see diamonds built than nothing at all.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:42 PM

Here is the highway:
http://www.brandonareaplanning.mb.ca...s/Highways.pdf

Here is the north gateway secondary plan proposal:
http://brandon.ca/images/pdf/plannin...mber4_2013.pdf

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Here is the highway:

Can you post that in the new interchanges and bypasses thread? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...173738&page=46

It seems that both 1A and 10 need realigning.

Thanks for the link too. I was looking hard for something like this.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:03 PM

Done.

The province has all the good copies of this type of stuff. But takes it down from their website. Likely because they know nothing is coming. At least City of Winnipeg leaves recent studies up for a long time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Here is the highway:

Thank you for posting this... I agree with Biff, I don't get why there can't just be two regular diamonds instead of this contrived solution.

I could have sworn I saw another plan that proposed realignment, but maybe I'm thinking of something else...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:05 PM

It might have been part of the study, realignment. But this was the preferred option. Maybe if they actually went ahead with the work, they'd switch to diamonds. The study is from 2002.

Also that plan is not favourable to golf courses. Cuts through 2 courses, effectively closing them.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Thank you for posting this... I agree with Biff, I don't get why there can't just be two regular diamonds instead of this contrived solution.

I could have sworn I saw another plan that proposed realignment, but maybe I'm thinking of something else...
@bomberjet Thanks.

@esquire It could have been one of the alternatives.

Anyway, this is why MIT doesn’t allow develop along TCH through Virden and Brandon to “get out of hand”. I can’t say the same for Elie or Deacons Corners though.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:09 PM

^ MIT gave up on Deacon's Corner, I recall Biff posted a map that showed the eventual planned ROW that would go north around the existing commercial cluster.

This is kind of a common theme with Manitoba highways, let people develop whatever they want right up to the intersection, and then start from scratch by building an entirely new road around it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:57 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That was my thoughts too. MIT probably wouldn’t let any development happen unless and until TCH be turned into a freeway. In fact, it’s the same thing through Virden.

I love how none of you guys (Andy6 excepted) realized that.
Virden has a Tim's and a Boston Pizza. If you weren't hungry for McD's or A&W in Brandon, well..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 9:43 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Virden has a Tim's and a Boston Pizza. If you weren't hungry for McD's or A&W in Brandon, well..
Virden must've sure changed, the past few years... that's downright scary. I remember going through there on Greyhound in 2011 - i never recalled anything, minus an Esso and the centre of town looking almost like it came out of a Stephen King novel. Nothing open, barely any lights. But with Tims, BP and stuff setting up shop there now? That's impressive.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Virden must've sure changed, the past few years... that's downright scary. I remember going through there on Greyhound in 2011 - i never recalled anything, minus an Esso and the centre of town looking almost like it came out of a Stephen King novel. Nothing open, barely any lights. But with Tims, BP and stuff setting up shop there now? That's impressive.
Virden has had all that at least since 2011
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 11:48 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Virden has had all that at least since 2011
I went by it in March 2011, haven't been on the TCH cross-country ever since.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:15 AM

New hydro transmission line from Birtle, Manitoba to Tantallon, Saskatchewan has made it through the assessment process and construction should start in the spring. No skyscrapers, but a large deal re: the interprovincial power grid:

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/projects/expansion/birtle/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

stupid we didnt push to sell more to other provinces sooner

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
New hydro transmission line from Birtle, Manitoba to Tantallon, Saskatchewan has made it through the assessment process and construction should start in the spring. No skyscrapers, but a large deal re: the interprovincial power grid:

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/projects/expansion/birtle/
Good news for both provinces. MB gets some extra Hydro income, SK gets to reduce it's coal-fired plants.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Good news for both provinces. MB gets some extra Hydro income, SK gets to reduce it's coal-fired plants.
Knowing Hydro, they will probably blow those extra profits because of their inefficiency.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It might have been part of the study, realignment. But this was the preferred option. Maybe if they actually went ahead with the work, they'd switch to diamonds. The study is from 2002.

Also that plan is not favourable to golf courses. Cuts through 2 courses, effectively closing them.
Wait, people still golf, all the golf clubs I know of are begging people to come and play and memberships at most clubs are dwindling with deep discounts to get new members to join. GenX’ers and Millenials are not interested in golf or pretty much any sport that finds them outside for that matter!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan