HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:21 AM

It hasn't been "The Girasole" for a long time. They dropped that moniker in favor of the new Hudson Boulevard address. One thing to look forward to is that this tower will finally completely activate Hudson Boulevard's first phase. 3 Hudson Boulevard and The Spiral will complete the *second block beyond the railyard. The Spitzer/Related tower to the north of The Spiral is also gearing up.

Last edited by Hudson11; Jan 17, 2020 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Closer look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's still boring, but is now classy. Will be a nice background tower in HY.

It's still being outclassed by 50 Hudson and the Spiral. But our new supertall overlords are changing how we see skycrapers. In another time, perhaps, this would have materialized as a basic 700 - 800 footer. But the times have changed, and the skyline is rising to account for it. It may be a supertall, but it's still filler. I can still see it as a 700 ft building rising on one of the avenues of Manhattan, nothing special, but solid office stock. However, that's just how it appears for us. This building will have all the "bells and whistles" all of the more flashier looking towers will have for its tenants.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:27 AM
New Yorker for life

A better look...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Yqa67gwkK/

Quote:
The new design for #BXPNYC’s 3 Hudson Boulevard was unveiled today. This 1.85 million square foot tower, a partnership with @moiniangroup, will rise as the newest addition to the #HudsonYards District.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 17, 2020 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I kinda like it, IMO.

Goes well with the area. I think the trend with super talls from the fans perspective is that everything must be stellar, but this design aids the area in a way. Not tacky, not overly flashy, but something that is a nice side chick for the other towers, that fits into the group yah know.

Out of all the HY neighborhood towers, The Spiral is the one that somewhat looks out of place (but not in a bad way, just aesthetically relative to the other HY towers).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Where are these renderings from? This tower looks great.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:20 PM
DENNAB

I like it too, nothing wrong with simplicity.

I think my main concern is that there are now 4 towers around 1000 feet in the same place, creating a plateau effect.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I think my main concern is that there are now 4 towers around 1000 feet in the same place, creating a plateau effect.
I agree about the plateau. Not to mention, this tower will completely block the Spiral's Hudson River views.

Anyway, this is my favorite version of this tower. The initial torqued version was nice, but it was such a slight twist that its effect was diminished.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

Boston Properties posted that on their instagram as the new renderings, so we should assume this is pretty much what we’re getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I agree about the plateau. Not to mention, this tower will completely block the Spiral's Hudson River views.

That was my concern about the height. The newer renders look a little better, but still supertall filler. Imagine 50 and the Spiral in that render. And Related has a second phase to go, including another large office tower in front of 55. This tower would completely dominate many skylines, but here it’s filler. I hope the lighting stays.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The rendering also shares (Boston Properties) striking similarities to the one via the NY Post. So its the same tower.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:11 PM

On the bright side, the plateau may force future developers to build taller, if they want their skyscrapers to be more visible and/or to get better views. This could be how NYC will finally have a megatall!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:19 PM

Are there any other sites in the Javits area that have enough air rights for a megatall?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
Are there any other sites in the Javits area that have enough air rights for a megatall?
Many of them could, in theory. There are no height limits in the area, and anything that tall wouldn’t have the large floorplates of the Hudson Yards towers. Besides that, the Penn Station district just to the east, and beyond that, midtown east.

A look at how the HY was originally zoned in sf (not gsf). Of course, both railyards were later revised to add more density. This is site 706A, the 4th of the “four corners” towers (50 Hudson, the Spiral, and 55 Hudson are the others).

Imagine if Extell’s WPC had gotten built instead of 55, at 1,011 ft.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 17, 2020 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The various changes to this development throughout the years.

Credit: Springboss123_456

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The various changes to this development throughout the years.

Credit: Springboss123_456

The one on the far left is Sherwood Equities design for the site that was sold, and is now the Spiral. The rest are 3 Hudson, a design that for years remained the same, then changed before you could get used to one design. But it's great to see all of these proposals on the west side finally seeing the light if day. Some things take longer, that's why I've never panicked about 2 WTC delays.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 18, 2020 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:50 PM

Not so relevant now, but the proper pronunciation of Girasole is "Jee-rah-soar-leh" with each of the syllables short and punchy.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:40 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

It has a 218 Liberty St feel.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:46 PM
New Yorker for life

I wouldn't have been mad at the version below, but we won't see major office towers as straightforward as this for a while, if at all...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Not so relevant now, but the proper pronunciation of Girasole is "Jee-rah-soar-leh" with each of the syllables short and punchy.
And here I was pronouncing it as "gear-ah-sole"

Kinda wishing this tower wasn't blocking The Spiral! Seeing that from the waterfront with 3 Hudson beside it would've been sweet!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I wouldn't have been mad at the version below, but we won't see major office towers as straightforward as this for a while, if at all...

I much prefer that to the current design. Much sleeker and more futuristic. Even better if it were a couple hundred feet or more higher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction