HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:47 AM

Congrats to STR on getting public job offers !

Also, I've heard an ad for this tower on the radio a few times. . . a good sign I think

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 2:55 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm
HEY STR- Great renderings!!! Any interest in doing more for us? I'm the construction manager for Renaissant. Somebody got a picture of me when we were looking at the YWCA original windows.
Check your PM's.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 4:38 AM
Content provider

this thing is TALL

and STR should have been hired somewhere six months ago, so, wake up people

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 5:37 AM

I can't wait for this project to come before the plan commission. I am going to have so much fun speaking in favor of it and shreading that lame ass South Loop Plan to shreads. I also hope that the developers produce more renderings of this tower like wht was done for The Legacy. Even with the slow down in the real estate market, I can't see this building not doing well.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 11:57 AM

the Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by museumparktom
We have many eyes in the Loop. I'll take credit for that drive by shooting. So what's your take on the building? I noticed that you guys took down a good part of the marble at the base of the building around the entrance. Was it worse than you expected?
It's my understanding that Landmarks would prefer the original base facade condition, not the covered up version. When we removed the marble and "new" brick we found the original bricks had been chopped fairly extensively to get the marble where it was. The columns and arch at the entrance are in fair to poor condition in my (unqualified) opinion.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I can't wait for this project to come before the plan commission. I am going to have so much fun speaking in favor of it and shreading that lame ass South Loop Plan to shreads. I also hope that the developers produce more renderings of this tower like wht was done for The Legacy. Even with the slow down in the real estate market, I can't see this building not doing well.
Do you know when this will go in front of the plan commission? Have they set a date, because I cant seem to find it in any of the other posts. I would like to be there also. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 12:37 PM

no dates yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto
Do you know when this will go in front of the plan commission? Have they set a date, because I cant seem to find it in any of the other posts. I would like to be there also. Thanks in advance.
Landmarks first, then planning. No dates for either yet.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 12:36 PM

http://www.globest.com/news/773_773/.../150301-1.html

Leopardo Chosen for $200M Condo Tower
By Robert Carr

CHICAGO| Leopardo Construction has been selected as general contractor for the $200 million Park Michigan, an 80-story condominium tower that will be built on a less-than-8,000 sf footprint at 830 S. Michigan. The developer is 830 S. Michigan LLC, as represented by Warren Burr with Renaissant Development Group. Pappageorge/Haymes is the architect of the 900,000-sf tower, which Leopardo President Richard Mattioda says will be the 10th tallest building in city, as well as the tallest property in the Loop south of Van Buren Avenue.

“This tower on Michigan Avenue will balance out the Loop, considering the large condo developments going up on the north side of downtown,” Mattioda told GlobeSt.com in an exclusive interview Oct. 31. “To us, it’s a great property and location, and it will be the most prominent project because of its size.” He says the property will be predominantly condo, with about 376 units, as well as 35,000 sf of retail, including a grocery store, a spa and a 9,000 sf restaurant.

The small footprint is one unusual aspect of the building, Mattioda says. “It’s a little under 8,000 sf, that’s pretty small considering we’re going 855 feet in the air. It’s going to require some very delicate logistics building in an area that fronts both Wabash and Michigan avenues.” The building is set back on Wabash, behind the 19th century YWCA building on Michigan.

Construction on the building will begin in late 2007 for delivery in 2010. Mattioda says the expense planning was difficult for a three-year building project, considering the shakiness of the economy and building material prices. “Because of the timeframe, we’re budgeting from preliminary documents. I think we’re going to have to deal with potential price escalation, and procure major materials as early into the process so we can get a lock.”

The 376 units will consist of one- to four-bedroom condos ranging from 700 to 3,000 sf. Lower levels will be comprised of six units each narrowing to two units per floor at the top. Additional amenities include landscaped decks, green roofs, indoor and outdoor pools, fitness center, 470-plus condo parking spaces and an illuminated crown to serve as a beacon for the South Loop skyline.
Renaissant is also the developer of condo projects such as the 253-unit Vision on State and 1000. S. Michigan Avenue, as well as Park Lafayette, a $115-million project on Milwaukee’s East Side. Leopardo recently completed Lakeside Tower, a 20-story, 143-unit condominium totaling 243,000 sf in Chicago’s South Loop, and is 45 percent complete with Vision on State. Leopardo is also in the preconstruction phase of a 525,000-sf hotel waterpark resort in Hoffman Estates.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:21 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
http://www.globest.com/news/773_773/.../150301-1.html

Leopardo Chosen for $200M Condo Tower
By Robert Carr

CHICAGO| Leopardo Construction has been selected as general contractor for the $200 million Park Michigan, an 80-story condominium tower that will be built on a less-than-8,000 sf footprint at 830 S. Michigan. The developer is 830 S. Michigan LLC, as represented by Warren Burr with Renaissant Development Group. Pappageorge/Haymes is the architect of the 900,000-sf tower, which Leopardo President Richard Mattioda says will be the 10th tallest building in city, as well as the tallest property in the Loop south of Van Buren Avenue.

“This tower on Michigan Avenue will balance out the Loop, considering the large condo developments going up on the north side of downtown,” Mattioda told GlobeSt.com in an exclusive interview Oct. 31. “To us, it’s a great property and location, and it will be the most prominent project because of its size.” He says the property will be predominantly condo, with about 376 units, as well as 35,000 sf of retail, including a grocery store, a spa and a 9,000 sf restaurant.

The small footprint is one unusual aspect of the building, Mattioda says. “It’s a little under 8,000 sf, that’s pretty small considering we’re going 855 feet in the air. It’s going to require some very delicate logistics building in an area that fronts both Wabash and Michigan avenues.” The building is set back on Wabash, behind the 19th century YWCA building on Michigan.

Construction on the building will begin in late 2007 for delivery in 2010. Mattioda says the expense planning was difficult for a three-year building project, considering the shakiness of the economy and building material prices. “Because of the timeframe, we’re budgeting from preliminary documents. I think we’re going to have to deal with potential price escalation, and procure major materials as early into the process so we can get a lock.”

The 376 units will consist of one- to four-bedroom condos ranging from 700 to 3,000 sf. Lower levels will be comprised of six units each narrowing to two units per floor at the top. Additional amenities include landscaped decks, green roofs, indoor and outdoor pools, fitness center, 470-plus condo parking spaces and an illuminated crown to serve as a beacon for the South Loop skyline.
Renaissant is also the developer of condo projects such as the 253-unit Vision on State and 1000. S. Michigan Avenue, as well as Park Lafayette, a $115-million project on Milwaukee’s East Side. Leopardo recently completed Lakeside Tower, a 20-story, 143-unit condominium totaling 243,000 sf in Chicago’s South Loop, and is 45 percent complete with Vision on State. Leopardo is also in the preconstruction phase of a 525,000-sf hotel waterpark resort in Hoffman Estates.

“Because of the timeframe, we’re budgeting from preliminary documents. I think we’re going to have to deal with potential price escalation, and procure major materials as early into the process so we can get a lock.”

I like the honesty here - quite refreshing. I think $200 million sounds awfully low for this project (despite the small floor plates)... It will also be interesting to see exactly when Renaissant decides to launch sales, as they certainly will want to limit cannibalization of sales from their own 1000 S. Michigan project just a couple blocks away...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop
I think $200 million sounds awfully low for this project (despite the small floor plates)...
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 2:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

That is probably why Leopardo won the bid, because they provided the lowest bid; that's why $200 mil seems so low, and it probably will end up being considerably higher when all is said and done.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel
That is probably why Leopardo won the bid, because they provided the lowest bid; that's why $200 mil seems so low, and it probably will end up being considerably higher when all is said and done.
That plus Barr has a relationship with Leopardo seeing as they are also buildiong his Vision On State project. I'm just glad to see that the project is moving forward. I can't wait for this one to come before the plan commission, because I have a feeling that it will be "quite vocal". One member of South Loop Neighbors approached me a few weeks back at the Wabash Avenue lecture after noticing the PD Amendment application for 830 S. Michigan in my hand. He also asked me if I was a member of CBP He was quite suprised that they had already filed. I told him, "oh yeah, they filed back in July, and that our group like to keep up-to-date with the major projects going on".

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 4:38 PM
you know where I'll be

I'm assuming this will be by far the largest skyscraper Leopardo has ever built. As far as I know, the previous tallest for them in Chicago was 1 E. Eighth. Anyone have any information to the contrary? This will obviously be quite a different job - is Leopardo up to this task??

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 4:40 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
That plus Barr has a relationship with Leopardo seeing as they are also buildiong his Vision On State project. I'm just glad to see that the project is moving forward. I can't wait for this one to come before the plan commission, because I have a feeling that it will be "quite vocal". One member of South Loop Neighbors approached me a few weeks back at the Wabash Avenue lecture after noticing the PD Amendment application for 830 S. Michigan in my hand. He also asked me if I was a member of CBP He was quite suprised that they had already filed. I told him, "oh yeah, they filed back in July, and that our group like to keep up-to-date with the major projects going on".
If I'm able, I definitely want to go to the Plan Commission meeting for this one. I also attended the South Loop Community meeting several months ago. Looking forward to seeing you speak, BVictor - Give the Nimbies Hell!! Hopefully this project will make it onto the December agenda...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 4:49 PM
The City

I don't think the NIMBY's have a chance at winning this one, but it doesn't hurt to show up and support the project just in case. What really needs support are projects that NIMBY's can win, such as the Gang proposal in Hyde Park.

GRRRR....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
I don't think the NIMBY's have a chance at winning this one, but it doesn't hurt to show up and support the project just in case. What really needs support are projects that NIMBY's can win, such as the Gang proposal in Hyde Park.

GRRRR....
Yeah....I know this OT from Park Michigan, but when are there community meetings on the Gang proposal? I will surely go to voice support of that.

I think Park Michigan has pretty good community support (not counting the Zivs).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 6:21 PM

The best news for me in this article is the mention of the lighted crown. I was worried it might be an industrial-looking box housing the elevator equipment or something. I imagine it will make the building look a bit like the Bloomberg tower in NYC.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 8:03 PM
BKLYN

beautiful, very elegant.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 9:48 PM
THAT Guy

Nice little image on Leopardo's website

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 10:03 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I'm liking this development in the south loop

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive