HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:29 AM
Starring as himself

I don't know. If you count the Perimeter in the same way that in Toronto you might count the 401 highway, wouldn't Winnipeg have more interchanges per capita than Toronto? I don't know how many there are in Toronto other than on the freeways (maybe 10-12?) so perhaps you could find 40-45 interchanges in Toronto (city) altogether (counting some off-ramps on the Gardiner and DVP) as opposed to 15-20 in Winnipeg (counting 100-101).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The south Perimeter is also getting its first phase of median widening from St Mary's east to Hwy 1 and possibly interchange grading at St Mary's, St Anne's and Waverley - approx $250 million.
Wow! First I have heard of this! I thought I heard the SW perimeter was getting upgraded first. When was this announced? Between the two traffic lights and the numerous median openings allowing direct left turns out of the passing lane, this is the worst section of the entire perimiter in my opinion.

Speaking of that particular stretch, has there ever been any talk of upgrading 59/100 interchange from parclo to full cloverleaf?

Last edited by Reignman; Mar 8, 2014 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Wow! First I have heard of this! I thought I heard the SW perimeter was getting upgraded first. When was this announced? Between the two traffic lights and the numerous median openings allowing direct left turns out of the passing lane, this is the worst section of the entire perimiter in my opinion.

Speaking of that particular stretch, has there ever been any talk of upgrading 59/100 interchange from parclo to full cloverleaf?
I am unsure which part, the eastern or western portion will go first now that you mention that. I know that they are having issues with land acquisition around Hwy 3 so that might delay the eastern portion. It would really be nice to see the Oak Bluff grade separation get built sooner than later.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
MIT just recently completed (2013?) a large rehab of that interchange, including slope stabilization. So i would say that is not going to happen in the near future unfortunately. Seems like it wouldn't be too much work to get that done though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
MIT just recently completed (2013?) a large rehab of that interchange, including slope stabilization. So i would say that is not going to happen in the near future unfortunately. Seems like it wouldn't be too much work to get that done though.
Yes, that's true...I believe it was rehabbed last year. Not sure why that wouldn't have been made a full cloverleaf at time of construction..

One beef I have with these interchange rehabs the province is undertaking is - if you're going to shut down an interchange for 6 months at a time (or more), why not do any and all repairs required during that time period? For example, for the Pembina/perimeter interchange which just reopened maybe two months ago...the pavement on the SW loop (which is the only loop I ever use, so I can't speak for the others) is in horrible condition...why not resurface that while the interchange is already closed?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:56 AM

Found this paragraph in the backgrounder released by the Province for the budget.
http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=30100

Strong infrastructure and a growing economy
Investments in core infrastructure keep businesses competitive and growing, and they create good job and training opportunities for families. Manitoba’s new $5.5-billion, five-year plan will build key infrastructure, boost Manitoba’s economy by $6.3 billion and create more than 58,000 jobs for families. Highlights include:
• historic investments in Manitoba’s major trade routes including PTH 75, the Trans-Canada Highway, PTH 10, PTH 12, PTH 6 and the North Perimeter Highway at PTH 59;
• the largest-ever provincial investment of $250 million to renew and upgrade Winnipeg streets;
• new infrastructure to support CentrePort Canada including a Trans-Canada Highway bypass at Headingley;
• new permanent flood protection for communities along the Assiniboine and Souris rivers, lakes Manitoba and St. Martin; and
• targeted funding of $75 million for municipal roads and bridges, in addition to a $700-million investment in bridges and overpasses provincewide.

K what?! Say it ain't so.. The promises continue.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:04 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

You mean the lies continue.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 6:30 AM

In terms of interchanges on the Perimeter there are four that seem to bee on the "near" term radar:

Waverly - preparation for the HWY 75 bypass
HWY 6 - CentrePort related for the "northern gateway"
HWY 2/3 "Oak Bluff" - high accident prone area
HWY 59 - the long over due one.

The "near" term plan seems to reduce as many at grade crossing from the Perimeter as possible focusing on the 59 to 75 route first under the pretense it is related to the CentrePort project. This means that St Marys and St Annes are currently lower priorities, I am sure in part due to the land acquisitions that are needed at those sites. With the exception of Oak Bluff the other near terms ones seem to largely have the required land either owned or highly undeveloped currently.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
No argument there, Biff. For my dollar though I'd say upgrading the Perimeter and bypassing Headingly are still greater priorities than anything inside the city. It would have been nice to see the Province invest in that instead of its centreport highway to nowhere.
What was the breakdown on funding by each level of govt.? IMO the centreport roadway was pretty far down the list on infrastructure priorities for this city and province. Build it and they will come may turn into "road to nowhere"!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:27 PM

CCW, as it is today, was not a waste of money even if none of the businesses it was built to support develop. CCW effectively replaced Inkster between 90 and the Perimeter. That was a hazardous stretch of road as there was significant truck traffic on a high-speed two-lane road. Having it replaced with a four-lane divided roadway is a welcome change.

In the near term CCW and CPT will connect up to form the northern east-west expressway similar to what Bishop will be in the south.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:01 PM

I created a Perimeter Highway | Winnipeg thread to get the off topic discussion into a more appropriate pace! Great discussions going on in here. Hopefully they can continue on there!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
CCW, as it is today, was not a waste of money even if none of the businesses it was built to support develop. CCW effectively replaced Inkster between 90 and the Perimeter. That was a hazardous stretch of road as there was significant truck traffic on a high-speed two-lane road. Having it replaced with a four-lane divided roadway is a welcome change.

In the near term CCW and CPT will connect up to form the northern east-west expressway similar to what Bishop will be in the south.
I don't know, Inskter could have easily been upgraded to four lane on the stretch from route 90 to the perimeter where an interchange already exists. Seems to me the trucking industry gets precedent over the other 790000 residents of Winnipeg!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I don't know, Inskter could have easily been upgraded to four lane on the stretch from route 90 to the perimeter where an interchange already exists. Seems to me the trucking industry gets precedent over the other 790000 residents of Winnipeg!
The Inkster interchange was not suitable for CentrePort for a number of reasons:

1 - Cannot be upgrade beyond the current two-lane road.
2 - Left turns needed for three of the four direction changes.
3 - No ability to add high speed ramps.
4 - Not suitable for Headingley by-pass as it is too far north.
5 - Overpass still required for Saskatcheawn Ave rail line.

If Centerport gets developed like the vision, Inkster will get used more as a local route for the immediate surrounding areas.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:37 PM

A bit of a follow up on the project. The City is looking at either removing or changing the traffic signals at Springfield and Gateway/Raleigh. Below image shows how traffic volumes have changes since the CPT extension opened.

Source
Report number 4

Sounds like they're looking at a few different options.

1. Removing the signals at Springfield and Raleigh altogether.
2. Installing separate controllers for the Gateway signals and the Raleigh signals. So the Raleigh signals could stay green while the Gateway signals could change to red. Right now they both change at the same time.
3. Going to permanent flashing yellow for Gateway and raleigh, with flashing red on Springfield.

Or a combination of the above. Judging by the trafic volume changes, it would seem CPT has done it's job. Traffic on Gateway is 2.5x what is was prior north of Springfield. Traffic on Springfield west of Raleigh is .3x what is was prior. And for obvious reason, traffic on Springfield east of Gateway has dropped to nothing as it's a dead end.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:42 PM
What could go wrong?

With this traffic study the plan is to 4 lane Gateway from McLeod north to Sun Valley. It is ridiculous that they didn't do this off the hop when everything was already fucked up with the construction of the CPT......that is just how the city works.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:49 PM

The whole stretch of Gateway/Raleigh should be changed to a regular 4 lane road instead of two separate. At least to Concordia. That could provide good access to/from Lag for the whole area. The long long term plan is to have an expressway from ESP to downtown, but that's a long long long term plan.

I always thought they could put a large double roundabout (I know, might get super confusing!) at Concordia, Gateway/Raleigh and Kimberly. With a bit of a plaza area in the centre for the AT pathway. Could be a nice community place kind of thing. Probably need a pedestrian overpass though, so get's pretty expensive pretty quick.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:09 PM

Only problem with a large roundabout at Concordia and Gateway may be the MTS super exchange building can't be moved.

The exchanges in Transcona and Oakbank/Dugald are now controlled from here, as well as it provides local service in EK, NK, Elmwood and Birds Hill. So lots of copper and fiber cable in the area.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:09 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
The whole stretch of Gateway/Raleigh should be changed to a regular 4 lane road instead of two separate. At least to Concordia. That could provide good access to/from Lag for the whole area. The long long term plan is to have an expressway from ESP to downtown, but that's a long long long term plan.
Raleigh should just be turned into a BRT/LRT line.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Raleigh should just be turned into a BRT/LRT line.
That is (was) suppose to go on the abandoned CPR Marconi land where the trail is.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:17 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
With this traffic study the plan is to 4 lane Gateway from McLeod north to Sun Valley. It is ridiculous that they didn't do this off the hop when everything was already fucked up with the construction of the CPT......that is just how the city works.
Quote:

I always thought they could put a large double roundabout (I know, might get super confusing!) at Concordia, Gateway/Raleigh and Kimberly. With a bit of a plaza area in the centre for the AT pathway. Could be a nice community place kind of thing. Probably need a pedestrian overpass though, so get's pretty expensive pretty quick.
Really guys? This is one of the only places in the North East that has any semibalance of pedestrian orientation, and you want to widen streets? No thanks.

I would rather see a PDO happen for this area asking for closer build-to lines and higher density along it in anticipation of a BRT corridor here (and close Gateway or Raleigh to automobile, more than likely Raleigh)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan