HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
re you kidding me? This building is elegant and harkens back to the best of mid-century apartment towers.

The colors of brick and windowframes really gel nicely as well.

Not sure what blank walls you are upset about... but the one in this photo needs to be there for fire code reasons. The tower directly abuts the fugly building to the south (The Hensley) so a blank wall is unavoidable. Looks like they were able to get windows at a higher level by purchasing an easement.
Agreed, this building is tight and the brick didn't turn out as beige as it looks up close. Looks much more cream now. Also, what's wrong with 1970's LSD apartment towers? There are some killer buildings along LSD, several of which are even nice Mies designs.

Also I believe you are correct that the blank wall is because of a city code that requires fire walls when directly adjcent to a giant dumpster fire.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 12:12 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Bill Clinton on the left?

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Agreed, this building is tight and the brick didn't turn out as beige as it looks up close. Looks much more cream now. Also, what's wrong with 1970's LSD apartment towers? There are some killer buildings along LSD, several of which are even nice Mies designs.

Also I believe you are correct that the blank wall is because of a city code that requires fire walls when directly adjcent to a giant dumpster fire.
I have to agree. It's a clean, honest design.
I like the playful changes in window width. They simultaneously incorporate the width of the firewall, balance the broad wrap around windows on the east side and accentuate the verticality of the building.

It doesn't have a lot of "gee wiz" but its like an Iphone, when your form is simple and appealing, "gee wiz" would just get in the way.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Are you kidding me? This building is elegant and harkens back to the best of mid-century apartment towers.
I think it's reasonable to challenge the notion that mid-rise design of that era - especially with many of those having human-scale setbacks and other features - translate well to today's highrises. The implicit (even though not actual) bricklaying forty stories up seems about as appropriate as some Bofill-esque stretching of corinthian columns eight hundred feet tall would be. In addition, the non-conforming (color, materials, texture, proportions) elevator penthouse seems precisely one of those cut-rate 50s to 70s design elements that arouses the most visceral of dislikes. (Crowns are so important, after all.)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:48 AM

I agree this building is a mess and the brick work doesn't seem to be well done to my eye. Just because someing was done in the 1970's doesn't mean it should be repeated today when we know better and have better options. This is a midcentury modern version of pomo...trying to needlessly harken back to another era with clumsy execution.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:50 AM

Building D of the Riverline project is under construction so I think it should be listed as such on page 1 of this thread.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:38 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I think it's reasonable to challenge the notion that mid-rise design of that era - especially with many of those having human-scale setbacks and other features - translate well to today's highrises. The implicit (even though not actual) bricklaying forty stories up seems about as appropriate as some Bofill-esque stretching of corinthian columns eight hundred feet tall would be. In addition, the non-conforming (color, materials, texture, proportions) elevator penthouse seems precisely one of those cut-rate 50s to 70s design elements that arouses the most visceral of dislikes. (Crowns are so important, after all.)
I see your point but I still think brick has a place in highrise construction. The very fact that they used brick instead of large precast panels adds that same human scale you're looking for. The setbacks on the New York example are just an artifact of the peculiar zoning code in that city, not really a conscious decision to fit the building into context.

The penthouse is sorta disappointing but it's set back pretty far on all sides; you're probably never going to see it except from a neighboring highrise. It's not like on LSD where you can see buildings from afar.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

it is super beige if you see it in person and is a hideous mess of a building... its the AMLI of this cycle The brickwork looks extremely lackluster and poorly done

In other news, the 225 W. Hubbard tower Crane is being constructed today

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
it is super beige if you see it in person and is a hideous mess of a building... its the AMLI of this cycle The brickwork looks extremely lackluster and poorly done
And the renderings were so very promising. That's what hurts me the most.

Curbed

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Ok, so the renders are obvi misleading but this is still a good building with a solid design. Especially from afar (there's a good shot of it a few pages back but i'm too lazy to repost) it stands out as superior to its surroundings and indeed is clean, crisp and simple, despite the ass cream color. You cannot say the same for any other of the beige monsters in the area. They all look like impacted turds. If you're going to have beige, this is the best you can hope for.

I can't help but wish Related had hired bkl to design 451 E Grand. Just wait until that malarky takes shape. Clearly, a neat mid-century modern tower is preferable.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:07 PM

I don't hate it, but it is more yellow than those. that area still needs a jolt of colored glass in the worst way

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I don't hate it, but it is more yellow than those. that area still needs a jolt of colored glass in the worst way
Yes. The limo-tinted windows at xzibit are not pleasing to look at.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:00 PM

I can go both ways with the design ^^. But if a mediocre high-rise brings more high-rises, business and investments to river north, I say bring it on. That whole area is going through such a boom I don’t want it to stop. Still have a lot of parking lots to fill, so hopefully proposals keep on coming. I would love to see more Hubbard Place looking building in that area, or at least something other than a box.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 7:49 PM

311 W Illinois

Wells Street towers

1001 W Chicago

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Once the new east side reaches capacity i think we'll see this. It would also help if Reilly gets indicted for something.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 8:27 PM

400 W Huron

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:27 PM

Schaumberg - Zurich NA

Sept 25

underside finish !

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Beautiful!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Sept 25
I am in awe of this building, I only wish it wasn't in the boonies. I read that they paid a 5% premium to get this design and quality.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 7:03 PM

Wish it was in Chicago too. You I wold just love to lift that building up and plunk it right along the river near goose island.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations