HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:17 PM

The Rockets have two championships, so I don't really care. Didn't the beat the Spurs in the playoffs (when you had Avery AND David Robinson):

On June 14, the Houston Rockets became the sixth team in NBA history to win consecutive titles as they swept the Orlando Magic in four straight games. The Rockets were led by their dominating center, Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon., who bested Orlando's powerful middle man, Shaquille O'Neal.

Many people doubted Houston could outdo its '93-'94 playoff scenario when, as the sixth-seeded team, it won its way to the title without a home court advantage. Even so, the Rockets blasted their way through the likes of San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix and Orlando -- four teams with the best won-lost regular season records -- to win their second straight championship.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:52 PM
James

This is going to be an interesting series, and I am extremely eager to watch it! The Cavs will in one or two games, but the Spurs will come out on top, 4th championship baby!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 9:41 PM
Houston:Considered Good

The Spurs are just boring to watch. I watched a couple of their games when I first moved here, but after a few games, I just stuck to watching the Rockets. The Rockets are a good team at working together and each member playing off the others to have good teamwork.

The spurs tend to use the most basic plays and have a good series of shooters that can get them more points in order to win games. However, because they tend to use the most basic gameplays, a Spurs game is a boring experience.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 9:48 PM

If four Larry O'Brien trophies = boring?...I hope to be the dullest person around.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:00 PM

Yes, it is boring. I watch their plays and it is basic run accross the court and shoot plays. They don't use any strategy. Their only saving grace is that they have good point makers. If that's what you want then go for it. However, it is boring as a form of entertainment.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:06 PM

I always found cat juggling to be quite entertaining.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:42 PM
Ya Dig!!

And I find the Spurs to be entertaining. I'm sorry if they don't have all the showtime dunks and the behind the next passes and etc. etc. etc. like these other teams who are sitting watching on their couch. The Spurs play exceptional basketball with their unselfishness and their grit. They do all the essentials to win a championship.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 11:02 PM

Yeah, seems like this one is basically LeBron vs. the World (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Finley, Bowen...) World wins.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 11:40 PM
under the influence...

The front office has announced a new logo for next season...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I don't get it....

Quote:
The Spurs are just boring to watch. I watched a couple of their games when I first moved here, but after a few games, I just stuck to watching the Rockets. The Rockets are a good team at working together and each member playing off the others to have good teamwork.
well if boring gets the job done...then it gets the job done....you can keep your Rockets. ;-)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:01 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post

I don't get it either.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:01 AM
James

double

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:18 AM
Endless Moments...

LOL, an asterisk ...

as·ter·isk

–noun 1. a small starlike symbol (*), used in writing and printing as a reference mark or to indicate omission, doubtful matter, etc.

I am ready for a beer, lets get this party started...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 2:03 AM
Ya Dig!!

Tell Amare and Diaw to stay on the bench and everything is gravy.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 2:49 AM
Bears of antiquity

This Suns/Pistons finals series is going to be great

Wait, what are you saying?

Non-sucky teams have made it through?

Oh, well alright then!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 8:03 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
Ha ha ha. And as for that asterisk, I can see you puckering from here with your sour grapes!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 8:54 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post

What are the Suns pointing at?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 9:13 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Yes, it is boring. I watch their plays and it is basic run accross the court and shoot plays. They don't use any strategy. Their only saving grace is that they have good point makers. If that's what you want then go for it. However, it is boring as a form of entertainment.
From your posts I can tell you watch very little NBA basketball. I think your Houston bias (for sports) plays more into this than any actual basketball analyzing on your part. First, the Spurs usually apply a motion offense which calls for a lot of pick and roles, very similar to Phoenix. When they do go into their half court offense they 7 out of 10 times go with 4 down which is give the ball to Tim, if he can't get anything he dishes out to the wing or three point line.

Houston, with Van Gundy, had to be one of the slowest and boriest teams in the NBA along with Detroit and Minny. Their only redeeming piece is Tracy McGrady but he's now too injured to be explosive and to streaky to be a good shooter. Dunks carry you only so far, just look at his cousin Vince Carter. Are the Spurs the most exciting team in the NBA? No, but they're not anywhere near the most boring either.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 9:45 PM

I like to watch The Rockets better because they are known for having good teamwork and strong assists, that's why I like to watch their games better because the players know how to feed off of each other and follow each others moves. They're very organized, they just don't have the best point makers outside of the top two. It's great entertainment to watch them feed off of each other.

I said the Spurs "Use the most basic plays", and that's in agreement with your assessment. The Spurs are known as a slow team, that's why they decided to hire Micheal Finley. They hired him because they knew what they needed was an energetic player and that's what they needed.

You have no right to claim that I have a Houston bias, I said that I watched the Spurs when I first moved here and was open to becoming a fan, but then I decided that I didn't like the team because of their basic "run across and shoot" plays, just like what you described.

Last edited by Double L; Jun 6, 2007 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:35 PM

NBA teams "sign" players not "hire" them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio