HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:06 PM

At least Fermor looks a bit better now. The stretch between Lag and Symington used to look like some kind of semi-rural wasteland instead of the main highway approach from the east. The bridge over the CN tracks is still a mess but surely that will get some attention soon?

I did see there is a new a set of lights going up just east of Lag, which is a bit unfortunate considering that there's not much there that would seem to justify it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:10 PM

The whole south side of Fermor is planned for development. Houses and commercial. Ideally as usual it would have an interchange, but there are zero interchanges anywhere close. So ya.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:38 PM

^ Wasn't there supposed to be a new Walmart around there? Or is that going to happen given current circumstances? Either way you'd think they'd wait a little before rushing to make the traffic lights the very first thing that gets done with the entire development.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wasn't there supposed to be a new Walmart around there? Or is that going to happen given current circumstances? Either way you'd think they'd wait a little before rushing to make the traffic lights the very first thing that gets done with the entire development.
I could be wrong but wasn't the new walmart rumoured to be on Gateway, on the south side of Perimeter but within the boundaries of the RM of East St Paul? But that idea got quashed because there was no vehicle crossing at Perimeter for Gateway?

That development on Fermor has a Walmart in the Southdale shopping area only a few kms away (former Target/Zellers).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I could be wrong but wasn't the new walmart rumoured to be on Gateway, on the south side of Perimeter but within the boundaries of the RM of East St Paul? But that idea got quashed because there was no vehicle crossing at Perimeter for Gateway?

That development on Fermor has a Walmart in the Southdale shopping area only a few kms away (former Target/Zellers).
Here's a bit of info regarding the precinct plan:

http://landmarkplanning.ca/perch/res...eb17boards.pdf

I could have sworn Walmart was going to be part of the commercial development along Fermor but I guess once Target went belly-up, Walmart took that space and that was that. So circumstances have changed. Without a major anchor like Walmart it's unclear to me whether there will be any significant commercial developments happening around there, at least in the short term.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:09 PM

We were talking recently about hold-outs. There's a good example of a property owner holding out in that neighbourhood plan.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:49 PM

Wasn't Costco rumored to be going in that shopping center as the replacement main tenant for Wal-Mart? I'm guessing that's not happening now if it ever was true.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Wasn't Costco rumored to be going in that shopping center as the replacement main tenant for Wal-Mart? I'm guessing that's not happening now if it ever was true.
Where, on Fermor? There have been Costco rumours for years about west Portage and up on McPhillips, but I don't recall hearing anything about Fermor. Seems pretty close to the Regent location?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:34 PM
What could go wrong?

I have heard rumours of a Costco in the Sage Creek area for years. The issue is that it always comes from people that I believe want one in that area and never from an industry or construction related source.

In the past I have spoken with a number of contractors that have built Costco across Canada and the Architect that designs them and the Sage Creek area has never come up - the other 3 proposed locations have numerous times.

That Fermor site was rumoured for a Wal-Mart.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 9:10 PM

The Portage Ave site definitely went to committee and had zoning variance signs posted. I since heard that something went wrong with those plans and it is no longer proceeding. Considering it went through committee almost a year ago something should be happening by now and it isn't.

Unconfirmed but I heard the servicing costs might have come in significantly higher than normal, possibly a long extension to a sewer line.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The Portage Ave site definitely went to committee and had zoning variance signs posted. I since heard that something went wrong with those plans and it is no longer proceeding. Considering it went through committee almost a year ago something should be happening by now and it isn't.

Unconfirmed but I heard the servicing costs might have come in significantly higher than normal, possibly a long extension to a sewer line.
The wastewater sewer deadends in front of the Tim Hortons. It's big and deep. To extend down Portage to the west would be about 450m of city owned sewer. Probably about $1.5m. The downs has it's own lift station with an 8" pipe that runs from the ex site to Timmie's.

I have no clue of the politics but this is what I see. I don't know what servicing has been put in lately, but there has been some work done (but nothing big). It looks like they are ok for water main.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

My source told me the Portage Ave. Headingly site was on hold because of the current pandemic.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:37 PM
What could go wrong?

The zoning issues wouldn't be holding up the project...the zoning issue was that one of the back corners of the building was coming a few feet to close to the traffic circle. It was more of a formality.

I believe Covid is the case as well.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:21 PM

Wouldn't covid increase demand for places like costco?
I work in civil construction and this year has been the busiest by far in my limited experience. But maybe that's it, covid has been increasing construction costs and they want to wait until things go back down a bit?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

I think even though some retail business (like Costco) are as busy or busier than they have ever been, Covid has caused uncertainty about the future and what it will look like. Prior to Covid, I believe retail could fairly accurately predict future trends. These massive stores with massive crowds and line-ups, might not look the same in the future.

.....I don't know though, just my guess as to some of the delays

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:32 PM

On one hand Costco is booming like so many other big box stores selling essential products, but on the other hand there must be a fair bit of uncertainty about the future of having hundreds of shoppers milling around in a store, as well as staffing those types of environments.

Even in 6 months time I would imagine we'll have much more clarity regarding the situation...

Last edited by esquire; Sep 10, 2020 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think even though some retail business (like Costco) are as busy or busier than they have ever been, Covid has caused uncertainty about the future and what it will look like. Prior to Covid, I believe retail could fairly accurately predict future trends. These massive stores with massive crowds and line-ups, might not look the same in the future.

.....I don't know though, just my guess as to some of the delays
I guess I was being kinda facetious. I knew the answer deep down. But I think a lot of companies are using covid as an excuse to cut services that aren't the biggest moneymakers but used to be considered extra customer service, to get people in the door. Like extended hours or soft drink refills .

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:38 PM

^^ It is definitely something other that Covid19 that is freezing the Portage Ave Costco. I heard that the plans were on hold long before the pandemic situation was really a thing, even in China. Something bigger is definitely at play as the timeline for that location should have had it open by now and the construction definitely was behind in starting but I do not have inside knowledge on that.

I assumed the pad would have been poured about a year ago, building construction over the winter with parking lot/exterior work in the spring/summer for a likely summer/fall opening.

There was definitely work done by the site that would have lined up with that timing last fall but it may have been related to the Red River Ex agi campus which sits just north of the Costco parcel.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:58 PM

Looks like a proper merge lane is being put in from SB to WB at St anne's and Perimeter. Better than the "Welcome to 80km/h traffic merge-but-is-actually-a-yield" that is there now

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Looks like a proper merge lane is being put in from SB to WB at St anne's and Perimeter. Better than the "Welcome to 80km/h traffic merge-but-is-actually-a-yield" that is there now
So this is an interim measure, I’m guessing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan