HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:54 PM

Looks like Bayview is ready to start work on the Molson Concordia portion already.

Came off of 59 onto Concordia this morning and on the south side of the open field next to Callsbeck the snow has been moved into piles, and there is a load of precast sewer pipe and the old tank car sections they use for cribbing when pushing pipe.

I guess they want to take advantage of the frost when going under the CP mainline.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 7:04 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

This really needs to be done. This road is like an unsafe relic that was somehow forgotten about. I was on it yesterday when it was crammed with vehicles and an ambulance was trying to get through on the way to Concordia. What a Charlie Foxtrot.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:24 PM

^Really nice to see that's finally getting started.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:27 PM

A bit of an update to the Kenaston/Bishop Fly-over. A few photos snapped when driving by, southbound Kenaston to eastbound Bishop.

Also a plan view of the bridge drawing, showing future Bishop going under fly-over (which is good, thinking ahead!). Apologies for the grainy image.

A lot of work completed on both abutments and centre pier. Some concrete work left on top of the abutments. Trimming of slopes has begun this week on the east embankment. Not much else appears to be going on, but should be ramping up with spring approaching.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:01 PM

A quick and dirty Kenaston Bishop interchange on my lunch hour. I'm missing the eastbound Bishop to northbound Kenaston connection. Likely could get a loop in there. But the northbound Kenaston Bridge will likely have to be a double high to clear the flyover being built right now.

Going to have a difficult time making the eastbound Bishop to southbound Kenaston ramp work. Will have to be very low speed.

Last edited by bomberjet; Mar 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
A quick and dirty Kenaston Bishop interchange on my lunch hour. I'm missing the eastbound Bishop to northbound Kenaston connection. Likely could get a loop in there. But the northbound Kenaston Bridge will likely have to be a double high to clear the flyover being built right now.

Going to have a difficult time making the eastbound Bishop to southbound Kenaston ramp work. Will have to be very low speed.
Do we necessarily need free flowing traffic in every direction? Waverley south is going to be a lower speed route, no?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:44 PM

At Kenaston and Bishop Grandin, I would say yes. Free flow in all directions or no access at all. The west extension of Bishop will be the tricky part. Making it work with south Kenaston. The angles are so sharp, it's hard to make the turn.

Waverley would have a diamond at Bishop Grandin and that's it. the rest would just be lights or round-abouts.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:59 PM

I guess I'm a little lost on what south Kenaston is going to be. Is it a lower speed residential collector or high speed arterial thoroughfare? It cuts right through a neighbourhood, but also connects to the Perimeter, so I can't figure it out.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 9:23 PM

It'll be your typical Winnipeg expressway. The flyovers were cut due to costs. So there'll be some type of intersections, most likely traffic lights since round-abouts aren't that good for high speeds. Speed limit is supposed to be 80km/h with interchanges at Bishop and the Perimeter. And I think "future" diamonds are still in play at Bison and Waverley.

Last edited by bomberjet; Mar 25, 2014 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:52 AM

Yeah, it's supposed to connect to highway 75 as a St. Norbert bypass, someday. But within Waverley West, how nobody realized that a "freeway" cutting off both sides of a "town centre" is a stupid-ass idea is beyond me.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Yeah, it's supposed to connect to highway 75 as a St. Norbert bypass, someday. But within Waverley West, how nobody realized that a "freeway" cutting off both sides of a "town centre" is a stupid-ass idea is beyond me.
Even a moron like Gump new that stupid is as stupid does, but this is Winnipeg so nothing should surprise anyone!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 9:06 PM

How to drive safely during Winnipeg pothole season

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:29 AM

excellent. thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:02 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Pro-tip, from a pro driving instructor.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Whoa, is this actually what the full thing will look like? I was under the impression it was primarily just a flyover so Kenaston to Bishop would be free flow, but traffic lights would be there too for the new southbound Kenaston...so basically what currently exists just with a fly-over akin to Lagimodiere over concordia.

Or is that a future plan you drew up? Are they extending bishop too?

I recall there being discussion on how the (southbound Kenaston) connection to the perimeter would be a diamond, given that the plan for that was essentially transforming the SW perimeter portion free flow up to Centreport way from the pembina interchange

Will bishop factor into that too?

Last edited by roccerfeller; Apr 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:48 PM

That's something I drew up on my lunch break. The full completed interchange will look something like that, but I really don't know. I'm second guessing the one loop I have shown. As that will be a pretty busy route, westbound Bishop to southbound Kenaston. Also the eastbound bishop to southbound kenaston will be tight due to the sharp angle.

The flyover that is being built now is placed such that it will allow for the Bishop Grandin west extension to continue underneath without any funny curves. So Bishop will be nice and straight with various fly-overs and/or loops at the interchange. Most of that won't happen for a long time. In the transportation master plan, the Bishop extension is to be completed by 2030 or something. But we will see.

So for now it'll be the one fly-over and the set of lights for left turns only.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I recall there being discussion on how the (southbound Kenaston) connection to the perimeter would be a diamond, given that the plan for that was essentially transforming the SW perimeter portion free flow up to Centreport way from the pembina interchange

Will bishop factor into that too?
Bishop seems to be lined up with HWY 2 at the Perimeter. Hearing the plan is to a combined 2/3 interchange at the Perimeter makes me wonder what the plan is for Bishop. It wouldn't surprise me if something else was in the plan though like tying Bishop into 330 at the Perimeter. The new interchanges on the Perimeter seem to be about forcing connections between roads that might not be 100% obvious, ie the HWY 6/Sturgeon Rd connection that is being planned.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:47 PM

Bishop will turn north and connect up to William R. Clement Parkway.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 4:17 PM

I was looking at that as well. Yes, Bishop will head north. But almost looks like the future PR 330 north extension will line-up or at least connect to bishop somewhere in the area where it starts heading north. Basically just west of Whyte Ridge and Waverley West.

Edit: Maybe not exactly where it starts heading north. But just southeast of Whyte Ridge, by the tracks.

Last edited by bomberjet; Apr 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:25 PM

Interesting discussion, gentlemen. Do you think this means the City will look at annexing the land in the southwest corner (for use toward future suburban development) which, I assume, currently belongs to Oak Bluff?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan