HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 10:53 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Am I crazy (probably) but does anyone else remember if and who had done a Dartmouth mock-up including all new proposed towers? It included the 3 at the Double Tree site, and the 3 to 4 over on Wyse shopping centre area. I wasn't able to find it.
I think this thread? https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244455

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Am I crazy (probably) but does anyone else remember if and who had done a Dartmouth mock-up including all new proposed towers? It included the 3 at the Double Tree site, and the 3 to 4 over on Wyse shopping centre area. I wasn't able to find it.
edit: Never mind, read the question wrong.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Might have been Hadrian Laing. Can't find the post though...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 1:00 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Thanks, this shows some of them for sure. Cheers!!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I did a really bad one a while ago and had it posted here.
https://imgur.com/a/Bks6RU9

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:36 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Looking at some pictures of the Ottawa-Pittsburg game at the Scotiabank Centre, I wonder if expansion of the building has ever been considered. I feel the Duke St end could be built out and possibly another 5000 seats could be added. I would love to see the roof raised to provide clean sight lines across from one upper bowl across to the upper bowl on the other side.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Looking at some pictures of the Ottawa-Pittsburg game at the Scotiabank Centre, I wonder if expansion of the building has ever been considered. I feel the Duke St end could be built out and possibly another 5000 seats could be added. I would love to see the roof raised to provide clean sight lines across from one upper bowl across to the upper bowl on the other side.
That has often been discussed here. The opinion seemed to be that the engineering of the building would not make it feasible to raise the roof. I don't think that just adding seats via an expansion would work well anyway because aside from a few special events, capacity is seldom reached as it is, and the necessary amenities like washrooms, concessions, concourses and the like are all inadequate as it is.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 1:27 AM

Demo work looks about to ramp up at the old Red Cross building. Worthy of note, that is a Volvo EC480EHR (Equipment Specs here) "High Reach Demolition Equipment", I can't recall seeing this used here before. More pieces are still required.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 12:04 PM
Halifax Promoter!

What does the announcement yesterday of the NS Government taking over control does to development in HRM???? Will taller buildings now be permitted!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 1:44 PM

I always liked the design of that building. I was unaware that the Red Cross had relocated. Where are they now? And what is the proposed use of this site?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:19 PM
we built this city

Quote:
What does the announcement yesterday of the NS Government taking over control does to development in HRM???? Will taller buildings now be permitted!!!!!
Better be. The obstructionists should move aside, municipal law has no teeth!

Most people think the lack of housing is the government's fault... I guess it is indirectly by allowing these folks to shut everything down for 20 years!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I always liked the design of that building. I was unaware that the Red Cross had relocated. Where are they now? And what is the proposed use of this site?
This will be the location of the new Mi'kmaw Native Friendship Centre: https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/gover...halifax-for-1/

Looks like it'll be a nice, standout building plus improved public space.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:34 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:

Most people think the lack of housing is the government's fault... I guess it is indirectly by allowing these folks to shut everything down for 20 years!
I would love to see a cancellation or drastic modification to the view planes bylaw.... The only one that should have ever existed was out the mouth of the harbour.... with those gone, the sky is the limit!!!!!!!! Bring on the true skyscrapers!!!! Please let this happen.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:

I would suggest it's largely a result of many DIRECT actions by all 3 levels of government to limit supply while pumping demand. It's nice to see some steps finally being taken to effect positive change.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:24 PM
Cap the Cut!

It appears that the spot left vacant by Steak and Stein may be in the midst of a remodel for a new tenant.

20231018_125156 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 9:17 PM

Quote:
I would love to see a cancellation or drastic modification to the view planes bylaw.... The only one that should have ever existed was out the mouth of the harbour.... with those gone, the sky is the limit!!!!!!!! Bring on the true skyscrapers!!!! Please let this happen.
Even if the view planes don't get canceled, it looks like almost the entirety of the new Cogswell District just happens to exist outside of the view planes.

https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default...ViewPlains.pdf

I hope every developer that ultimately ends up purchasing land there pushes for more height, beyond the 90 meters even, and I hope the province steps in to approve it because Lord knows the council won't.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 10:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerDe View Post
I hope every developer that ultimately ends up purchasing land there pushes for more height, beyond the 90 meters even, and I hope the province steps in to approve it because Lord knows the council won't.
I believe they will still be under the ramparts rule so will be quite limited. It seems like a very poor trade-off for the city. Arguably worse than most of the viewplanes that protect views of actual things instead of tiny segments of sky as seen from one location.

It's interesting in that it doesn't show up as a line item in the budget but imposing height limits on municipally-owned land has a cost. I would guess that if regional council had to vote to spend $5M or something to impose the ramparts rule on the Cogswell area it would be more controversial.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:51 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Maybe the NS Government new rules will override the height restrictions.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 10:59 AM

It is being split into two units and I know one is PetValu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
It appears that the spot left vacant by Steak and Stein may be in the midst of a remodel for a new tenant.

20231018_125156 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 10:39 AM

Well balanced article on the struggles Halifax is facing with its boom, as well as the highlights of its growth. I do appreciate the "next Boston" moniker

https://financialpost.com/feature/ha...53d23808a/amp/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth