HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I can't seem to find any information on this one. 5560 Cunard Street (between Maynard and Creighton) is being excavated. They're at least a full floor down. It was formerly M&B Transmission. There is no construction permit listed for this site.
Not sure where I heard this, but I recall that this is the future home of FBM Architects.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:20 PM

North End Animal Hospital (Isleville & Bilby)

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:46 PM
hi

Construction of new Ronald McDonald House to start this year in Halifax
Facility will be larger than existing house and built across from IWK Health Centre
Pam Berman · CBC News · Posted: Jun 23, 2021 3:58 PM AT | Last Updated: June 23

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...tion-1.6077105

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:53 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

“I’m loving it”

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:03 AM

Great initiative and a reasonable looking design.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:33 AM

Development proposal for the O'Regans lot on the corner of Maple and Thistle Sts in Dartmouth:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...crCP5_kWmopQUY

A bit surprised there is so much surface parking when the site would seem suited to have lower-level parking under the units, but better than what has been there for decades.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Development proposal for the O'Regans lot on the corner of Maple and Thistle Sts in Dartmouth:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...crCP5_kWmopQUY

A bit surprised there is so much surface parking when the site would seem suited to have lower-level parking under the units, but better than what has been there for decades.
Still... meh. 20 units (with parking for 17 + 1).

A taller structure could still fall within the ridiculous Brightwood viewplanes and house many more people while offering stunning views of the harbour due to its elevation.

A fail, IMHO.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Still... meh. 20 units (with parking for 17 + 1).

A taller structure could still fall within the ridiculous Brightwood viewplanes and house many more people while offering stunning views of the harbour due to its elevation.

A fail, IMHO.
Well, part of the problem is likely that it is being done by the O'Regan's themselves and not a developer. All they are used to constructing are car dealerships. Height is not in their wheelhouse.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Well, part of the problem is likely that it is being done by the O'Regan's themselves and not a developer. All they are used to constructing are car dealerships. Height is not in their wheelhouse.
The design of car dealerships is dictated by the company for which they hold a franchise, but this is not that. Therefore, if they are getting into the 'developer business', they should have the resources to hire a good architect.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't just sell the land to a developer, for that matter. This seems weird.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
The design of car dealerships is dictated by the company for which they hold a franchise, but this is not that. Therefore, if they are getting into the 'developer business', they should have the resources to hire a good architect.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't just sell the land to a developer, for that matter. This seems weird.
Perhaps they see this as a starter pack to getting into the land development business. Their Robie St facility is badly outdated and out of place, and would be a prime spot for redevelopment. It could be that they see themselves getting even richer by doing that when the time comes.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Should have great mats though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Perhaps they see this as a starter pack to getting into the land development business. Their Robie St facility is badly outdated and out of place, and would be a prime spot for redevelopment. It could be that they see themselves getting even richer by doing that when the time comes.
None of that changes my original comments/opinions. It's fine, and I wish them well if that's what they are doing (don't know them personally but they seem like nice people), but this one is still a 'meh' in my opinion.

Not that anybody really cares about my opinion, but hey, it's a messageboard...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
I'm of the mind it's actually of some sentimental value to the O'Regans. Especially Paul, as it's the original lot where he started selling used cars back in 74'.

http://https://www.oregans.com/about-us/

I agree Mark, it's not what I would have in mind for the site but with 11m height restrictions there not much that can be done......except voting out Councillors that support these restrictions on the housing supply in the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
I'm of the mind it's actually of some sentimental value to the O'Regans. Especially Paul, as it's the original lot where he started selling used cars back in 74'.
Well, Paul has been deceased since 2012, so any sentimentality would be left to the sons.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:53 PM

I guess this would be the Art Gallery site? Not sure if there's a dedicated thread.

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:50 PM

^^ This is all an extension of the boardwalk in front of the Salt Yards. Still no news on the new AGNS since it was announced who won the design competition.

I would have expected to hear some more news on this given the election is looming.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Sorry that was my bad. I've corrected it now.

To answer the question about 2050 Gottingen here is the rendering;

Source: Partners Global - 2050 Gottingen Street, Halifax

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 7:25 PM

I wish the boxes around the windows were more accurate to the rendering. It would have made for an interesting feature.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:39 AM

Yeah, without them the building loses the contrast that would have made the black cladding work (IMHO). So far, the actual building looks much less interesting than the rendering and (again IMHO) looks a little cheap (as in low quality) due to the materials used.

Perhaps there would have been some functionality taken away from the windows due to views being blocked and less sunlight let in by the boxes?

Maybe once the final details are finished it will look much better.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah, without them the building loses the contrast that would have made the black cladding work (IMHO). So far, the actual building looks much less interesting than the rendering and (again IMHO) looks a little cheap (as in low quality) due to the materials used.

Perhaps there would have been some functionality taken away from the windows due to views being blocked and less sunlight let in by the boxes?

Maybe once the final details are finished it will look much better.
That as-built picture makes the project look very cheap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth