HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Sam.

Looks like a good strategy to build in a detour before major work starts around the interesection.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together - I think it will really be a big improvement. There is lots of potential to make this one of the nicest areas in the city, actually.
The canal is an interesting feature that wasn't being capitalized on. Some other cities have great historic canal areas and modern redevelopments. It would only take a few developments to tie this area together with downtown Dartmouth.

(The harbour islands are another asset the city has similarly failed to take full advantage of. George's and McNab's could be great tourist attractions.)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:48 PM
Closed account

There's some work happening between 1459 and 1475 Hollis. The old stairs there have been dug out and the area is fenced off. Possibly refurbishing the entryway down to the market?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 8:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another North End view. You can see a small construction site near the bottom right, which I guess is probably Agricola and Bilby:

Source

I wonder if there's a proposal for the parking lot at Agricola and Russell. Maybe that's Oland parking?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:28 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Drove by the old Garden View Restaurant site on Main St. in Dartmouth and the site is up for sale... it says As of Right Sale, so I guess the new owners could just build the old proposal without having to go through public hearings again???

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:41 PM

Looks like Queen Square is getting a new look.

Last edited by Matticus; Aug 28, 2019 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:50 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What is happening to Queen's Square?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
What is happening to Queen's Square?
They are painting the exterior metal siding panels from tan to charcoal or black. I seem to recall that the tan color was the result of a repaint some years ago from whatever the original color had been.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:14 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They are painting the exterior metal siding panels from tan to charcoal or black. I seem to recall that the tan color was the result of a repaint some years ago from whatever the original color had been.
I had noticed that as well. TBH the green color that was chosen on the last refresh didn't age very well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I had noticed that as well. TBH the green color that was chosen on the last refresh didn't age very well.
In fairness, the exterior design of that building is so pedestrian (I was going to say "awful") that no color would probably work well. Maybe the black will disguise it somewhat.

Grabbed the OP's image and uploaded here to make it appear inline:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:43 PM

The black is much better than what has been there. At street level it is such an unfriendly building and the overhang does nothing for it (but is a great spot for the smokers). .

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 6:00 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
In fairness, the exterior design of that building is so pedestrian (I was going to say "awful") that no color would probably work well. Maybe the black will disguise it somewhat.

Grabbed the OP's image and uploaded here to make it appear inline:

They've made some good progress since I last saw it. Glad they are darkening the black as well.( assuming by looking at top floors) The primary coats didn't quite do it. I wonder too if it is complete building coverage or if it will be left 2 toned with the white and black.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:15 AM

Has CSIS taken over the building ?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The black is much better than what has been there. At street level it is such an unfriendly building and the overhang does nothing for it (but is a great spot for the smokers). .
I've hated that building ever since they built it. Mostly because they displaced my grandmother out of her home - she was never quite the same for the rest of her life because she had lived on Edward Street for most of her life after the Halifax Explosion. I recall that block as a nice residential area with neighbours who were happy to be there. Now it's a blight that serves a function but does nothing for the surrounding neighbourhood - you might say it helped along the decline of that area which is just starting to rebound today, some 40 years later.

But... yeah... the dark paint looks better.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:19 AM

Anyone know what's going on at Inglis and South Park? The Christian Science church and reading room were torn down a few months ago and there's a big hole being dug now.

Is it one of those skinny, tall buildings I hear so much about?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 7:40 PM

Anyone know what's going on in the empty lot on Tacoma? I saw some construction type fences up around the lot today

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Anyone know what's going on at Inglis and South Park? The Christian Science church and reading room were torn down a few months ago and there's a big hole being dug now.

The Szulewic brothers acquired the site but it sounds like there are no imminent plans for development. They are preparing to develop a 12 unit apartment building across the street (corner of Inglis and Ivanhoe) - given the lack of parking, the article speculated that residents would be able to park at the former Christian Science Church site so we might see it used as a parking lot for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:

That's too bad but not really surprising I guess. When I lived nearby years ago I always liked that pocket park setting and the floor to ceiling glass of the reading room. Was just a very nice spot overall.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
That's too bad but not really surprising I guess. When I lived nearby years ago I always liked that pocket park setting and the floor to ceiling glass of the reading room. Was just a very nice spot overall.
Stephen Archibald blogged about it earlier this summer:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...-dumb-me-down/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasmull View Post
The Szulewic brothers acquired the site but it sounds like there are no imminent plans for development. They are preparing to develop a 12 unit apartment building across the street (corner of Inglis and Ivanhoe) - given the lack of parking, the article speculated that residents would be able to park at the former Christian Science Church site so we might see it used as a parking lot for the foreseeable future.
It's a pretty deep hole, now. Suitable for a tiny parking garage, maybe.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It's a pretty deep hole, now. Suitable for a tiny parking garage, maybe.
Jeep-only parking

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth