HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If your city won a championship, then that's your street I'm thinking. Any parade route really.
For NYC it is technically Broadway. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade parade route mostly uses Eighth and Sixth Avenues for logistical reasons, but the reviewing stand is set up at Broadway and W 34th Street in front of the Macy's flagship store. Sports championship parades usually take place in the Canyon of Heroes, which is along Broadway in the Financial District.

Fifth Avenue is a close second to Broadway as the preferred parade route. It is the route for almost all of the city's major ethnic parades (St. Patrick's Day, Puerto Rican Day, Dominican Day, Columbus Day, etc).

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I don't know NYC well enough to know which streets are the busiest, but if we're just talking about well known, this question is probably best answered by outsiders, since more people live outside of their city than in it.

Taking that into account, I am 100% sure that 34th Street is not as well known as some of the others that have been listed, like 5th Ave, Park, Wall, Madison, and Broadway.
I understand why people who don't know NYC might elevate Park Avenue. I don't understand why people who have spent an hour in Manhattan would, though.

I'm sure there are people that think 8 Mile Road is Detroit's most important street. Far more people are familiar with that street than they are with Woodward Avenue. But anyone who lives in Metro Detroit would think it is absurd to elevate 8 Mile above Woodward Avenue.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 5:46 PM

For NYC, I'd say Broadway and Wall are, without question, the most well-known streets (i.e. almost universial recognition).

Then the second tier would encompass Fifth, Park, Madison, 42nd St. (common recognition for most folks)

Probably a third tier of CPW, 34th Street, Ave. of the Americas, 57th Street, 125th Street (more niche recognition).

This has nothing to do with a rank order of busiest streets, however.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I understand why people who don't know NYC might elevate Park Avenue. I don't understand why people who have spent an hour in Manhattan would, though.

I'm sure there are people that think 8 Mile Road is Detroit's most important street. Far more people are familiar with that street than they are with Woodward Avenue. But anyone who lives in Metro Detroit would think it is absurd to elevate 8 Mile above Woodward Avenue.
It's not about elevating Park Ave. It's just that it is an internationally well-known street. Park Ave... NYC instantly comes to mind. I wasn't trying to say anything about importance of a particular main street to daily city life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
For NYC, I'd say Broadway and Wall are, without question, the most well-known streets (i.e. almost universial recognition).

Then the second tier would encompass Fifth, Park, Madison, 42nd St. (common recognition for most folks)

Probably a third tier of CPW, 34th Street, Ave. of the Americas, 57th Street, 125th Street (more niche recognition).

This has nothing to do with a rank order of busiest streets, however.
This seems like an accurate ranking. I think Bowery could probably make the ranks as well. Potential adds could be Bleecker, maybe Canal and Houston.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:27 PM
if I sang out of tune

For London it's the 2km long Oxford St -560,000 visitors per day (and infamous for overcrowding) with over 300 shops having a front on it (and numerous more in shopping centres and side streets).
It's not the most beautiful, but most popular.

www.kevinallen.photodeck.com

100,000 a day pass the crosswalk at it's centre

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk

http://islingtontribune.com/article/...-for-christmas

At Xmas for a select few days it becomes pedestrianised (normally taxis and buses are allowed down it)

It also happens to be, possibly, the world's most dangerous street. The high crowds on pavements too narrow to accommodate them (historic London zoning meant human-scaled streets throughout, in contrast with Paris or even Manchester) means the city's highest incidents of human-vehicle collision. However what's worse is it has the title of the highest air pollution ever measured in the world. This thanks to NO2 from the buses -the world's highest hourly and annual levels, breaking the global record at 463mcg per sq metre on one measurement (and the average of 135mcg for London, the world's worst performer -by comparison Delhi and Mumbai are at 62mcg). It exceeded the EU annual safety level in only the first 2 days of the year -air pollution kills multiple times more than traffic accidents, about 10,000 a year for a city the size of London (and that's with congestion charging).

If ever there was a case of pedestrianisation needed anywhere in the world, this is it:

www.telegraph.co.uk

The Mayor, Sadiq Khan has been battling for years now to pedestrianise it but local residents (read: the notoriously conservative Westminster Council) have repeatedly vetoed the plans.
Recently however, as retail has crashed around the world due to online shopping, plus the opening of 2 vast mega-malls at the edge of the Inner City, the crowds have thinned. The case of pedestrianisation has come far too late.

Last edited by muppet; May 3, 2020 at 8:36 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:34 PM
if I sang out of tune

It's in stiff competition with Regent St next door, which is also starting to suffer the same issues.

www.regentstreetonline.com

[img]
[/img]

Last edited by muppet; May 2, 2020 at 11:06 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:54 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Even without looking at your text, I assumed London it was either Regent or Oxford St. Piccadilly St for the tourists too.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 10:27 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Some random other cities I'm familar with:

Reno: Virginia Street
Palo Alto: University Ave
Berkeley: Telegraph Ave or University Ave
Cambridge, MA: Mass Ave
Madison: State St.
Milwaukee: Wisconsin Ave
Bucharest: Calea Victoriei

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 11:07 PM
An Optimistic Realist

For Miami: Biscayne Boulevard/ US 1, 8th Street (or Calle Ocho), and Coral Way.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ Even without looking at your text, I assumed London it was either Regent or Oxford St. Piccadilly St for the tourists too.
I'll tell you about my personal feeling about this.
This thing is trying too hard to look Parisian. They can't help it, but I don't know how many boulevards or avenues we've had to beat it. Quite a couple of avenues over west central paris... We just have the original limestone and all to stick to it.
It doesn't even really matter, full of faults (and charm, granted) as it is.

I like them better when they build contemporary stuff and high-rises. It is more daring and provocative nowadays, which is cooler.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I am 100% sure that 34th Street is not as well known as some of the others that have been listed, like 5th Ave, Park, Wall, Madison, and Broadway.
Exactly. Thank you. Your response comes as no surprise.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:

When people who live in New York and people who live far from New York consistently disagree with your opinion, it might be time to move on.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I agree, but as I noted previously earlier in this thread, Wall Street - although massively popular - is an anomaly of sorts in that it's typically referred to metaphorically as opposed to in a physical sense.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It's not about elevating Park Ave. It's just that it is an internationally well-known street. Park Ave... NYC instantly comes to mind.
You're wasting your time, he won't let it go of the notion that 34th is far and away busier and more popular than Park.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
When people who live in New York and people who live far from New York consistently disagree with your opinion, it might be time to move on.
You've been in New York like 10 minutes. Please don't think your opinion matters lol.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You've been in New York like 10 minutes. Please don't think your opinion matters lol.
Says the teenage keyboard warrior posting from Mommy's basement in Omaha.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 2:53 AM

Shouldn't non-New Yorkers opinions on which is most well-known be a better indicator than a locals?

Park Avenue, I've seen it in other places and it always reminds me of NY.

Broadway, Wall St., Park.

That is what a regular person will know. They WILL know Broadway and Wall, they probably will know Park Avenue.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Shouldn't non-New Yorkers opinions on which is most well-known be a better indicator than a locals?
Yes. And not a single non-New Yorker on this forum has included 34th St. among lists of relevancy.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 3:38 AM

delete

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 3:41 AM

In St. Louis, the busiest street is Grand Boulevard. The busiest intersection in the city was determined to be Grand and Gravois. Grand connects to three interstate highways and is also the most-used bus route in St Louis. The VA Hospital, Grand Center theatre district, St. Louis University, SLU Hospital, Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital, historic Tower Grove Park, and the South Grand restaurant district are all located on Grand.
As far as best known street in St Louis, I don’t think any of them are known outside of the region. I can only say that most big televised parades are held on Market Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions