HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Waves - Jeebus. What a list. Lets play "is this lower Lonsdale or a strip mall in Calgary". I realize they are needed, but they do not make a neighbourhood.

So Lift is opening in January ? Thats exciting !
Give it time. Nothing ever had a great deal of character when it was new

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 7:44 PM
ON3P Skis

Polygon Gallery from Monday the 28th

Polygon Gallery

And Lift Breakfast Bakery (signage and awnings installed)

101 Lonsdale - Lift Breakfast Bakery

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:14 PM

@jozera ^What?

What makes a neighbourhood are the people. It doesn't need to be a "local" "Independant" coffee shop. And aren't Starbucks and tims etc all franchised anyway so it already is a local business

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 9:24 PM
ON3P Skis

Doesn't need to be an independent coffee shop necessarily for me (I quite like Whole Foods' Allegro coffee) I'm just not a fan of the coffee itself of those places.

Also, Puchi doesn't open until tomorrow (December 1st). Cute little place (closer to 4th) in the Calypso building.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:54 PM

Has this been posted before?

New water feature coming to North Vancouver waterfront at Lonsdale
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...nt-at-lonsdale

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
@jozera ^What?

What makes a neighbourhood are the people. It doesn't need to be a "local" "Independant" coffee shop. And aren't Starbucks and tims etc all franchised anyway so it already is a local business
I think that it is all personal preference. For me, a neighbourhood HAS to have options outside of Starbucks etc, because I don't want to eat stale GFS pastries.

Also I think that what makes a neighbourhood distinct is independent businesses. Not to say that you can't have both (almost certainly you will have both), but a neighbourhood that stands out will have more food options than those that you can find in a mall.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:58 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Ha, it is a bakery. I would gloat to jozero but he won't ever read this :p

News to me, thanks. Wasn't the ice rink supposed to have something similar beside it though? I wonder if they are just confusing the location.
It's between Tap & Barrel and the Polygon Gallery. There was something next to the ice rink as well but no idea if that's finalized.

Credit: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/n...dale-ice-rink/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Ha, it is a bakery. I would gloat to jozero but he won't ever read this :p
Serious ? Dammit ! Oh well better than an empty prime location. How did you find out ? Is it a one off local bakery, local chain, or something else ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Also, Puchi doesn't open until tomorrow (December 1st). Cute little place (closer to 4th) in the Calypso building.
I must of stumbled upon a soft opening. I sat inside of it drinking my latte (it was ok). They get their beans from JJ Beans.

___

Sure the people make a community. One day though drive through the newer suburb communities in Alberta. Same strip mall after strip, same set of stores (Starbucks, Tim Hortons, shoppers drug mart, 2 banks). Are those needed ? Sure. But after half a day I challenge you to tell any of them apart. In my opinion great cities are made of great neighbourhoods, consisting of their own identity.

Last edited by jozero; Dec 1, 2016 at 7:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:55 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Ah crap nevermind, I was confusing wrenegade's photo of the former Moodyville cafe with the former Tradewinds Realty.

Coffee shops are so boring. I mean I don't drink coffee at all, but how many do you people need
They are the community hubs. Gathering place for local folks to work or talk. I think the variance of coffee joints and how full they are serve as a great indicator for the vibrancy of a community.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 10:24 PM

2 pieces of news on the Lower Lonsdale retail front !

Frank and Co's candy shop opened up. It sells candy and things like fancy cards and fancy wood toys for kids.

And the corner store at Lonsdale & Esplanade is .....

..... drum roll please ....

A high end coffee shop ! Nope !!

A bakery ! Nope !!

Something potentially quite interesting. It is called "Mo's General Store" and appears to offer high end old style home wares, like cast iron skillets. The brown paper is off the windows so you can look in, but it isn't open yet. I hope it has every day food fare as well. Kind of neat. Looking forward to it opening.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Something potentially quite interesting. It is called "Mo's General Store" and appears to offer high end old style home wares, like cast iron skillets. .

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:14 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Haha I don't think we're the right neighbourhood for this at all (thankfully not very hipster) but I welcome the variety.

Where's the candy shop?
Agree with you and Liz Lemon. Really weird entry in the Lonsdale area. I hope they survive though because it appears to be so out there. There is a similar "general store" near gastown, where you can buy $20 bar of soap. No clue how it stays open. Mo should of walked up Lonsdale and counted the hair salons, there are three for every man woman and child here. No one has any extra hipster beards or moustaches. Still ! Not the standard fare !! I'm rooting for them. And if it is a general store it has to sell perishable goods as well which could be neat.

Candy shop is in the new building on Lonsdale. A door lr 2 from Browns Social house

Last edited by jozero; Dec 13, 2016 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 6:28 AM

Quote:

Something potentially quite interesting. It is called "Mo's General Store" and appears to offer high end old style home wares, like cast iron skillets. The brown paper is off the windows so you can look in, but it isn't open yet. I hope it has every day food fare as well. Kind of neat. Looking forward to it opening.

They will be selling coffee.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 11:03 PM

table153 opened up on the east side between 2nd and 3rd on Lonsdale, near the great looking but unfortunately usually empty jujitsu place.

I was a bit iffy on the Cafe because their branding really isn't that good, the windows were papered off, and they label themselves as Breakfast & Sandwiches. It turned out WAY nicer inside than I expected. Really quite nice inside. Looking forward to trying it out.

Menu consists of some yummy looking bennies and fancy sandwiches.

EDIT : It is called table153, not cafe153

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They will be selling coffee.
Ha HAA !!! (but likely not an artisan coffee joint)

Its still not open. Walked by it today.

Last edited by jozero; Dec 20, 2016 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:32 AM
See ya down under, mates

Hoarding is up around the old buildings at Promenade, ie the Polygon condo directly north of the Quay. Parking lot is still mostly open though. Promenade:

Edit: just FYI since this forum's userbase continues to shrink, I'm going to start posting all my LoLo updates in the North Shore Updates thread from now on - following jollyburger's lead. Lower Lonsdale has definitely been "reborn" and no longer needs to be segregated from the rest of the region, especially with only a couple posts per month total.

Last edited by Pinion; Jan 3, 2017 at 7:54 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley