HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 3:46 PM

123 Wynford Drive l 55s + 48s l Originate / Westdale l Moriyama & Teshima l pre-construction

This one has sparked a lot of debate as one of the towers almost sits on top of Raymond Moriyama’s 1964 (much-applauded) Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre… and what’s really suprising is the design firm that designed the towers (see title bar above).

There are some obvious design nods to the existing building like the 7 storeys of pagoda-inspired balconies… but 2 skyscrapers looming over an important city landmark, which might include a partial demolition, is a bizarre choice (anywhere else this would be 2 thumbs up imo).

AlbertC

AlbertC

Balconies above the Cultural Centre.

AlbertC

Jarvis & Earl Place l 58s l Originate l pre-construction

Another tall one proposed for Jarvis St. a few blocks south of Bloor.

AlbertC

AlbertC
[IMG]https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/6-scaled-jpg.415203/[/IMG]
AlbertC

AlbertC

141 Roehampton | 158.7m | 48s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects l pre-construction

UT

UT

Auberge On The Park | 133m | 45s | Tridel | Graziani + Corazza l u/c

Condo and retail at Leslie and Eglinton.

Lamor

UT

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 27, 2022 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 12:38 PM

Smile How Many Skyscraper Proposals Are Approved In Toronto?

Thanks for the awesome updates and pictures. There are 166 proposed 150 metre + skyscrapers approved in Toronto right now. Is there any way to keep track of how many are actually approved right now? Toronto just approved several this week, but of the 166 proposed, I can't figure out how many are approved in total. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J. View Post
Thanks for the awesome updates and pictures. There are 166 proposed 150 metre + skyscrapers approved in Toronto right now. Is there any way to keep track of how many are actually approved right now? Toronto just approved several this week, but of the 166 proposed, I can't figure out how many are approved in total. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
There was a small avalanche of "Recommended for Approval" (or approved via settlements at LPAT) for projects in May and June that I noted in all my posts. It's a pretty safe bet to include them as approved.

There's more out there for sure, but here's a 23 tower start for you (and lots more in the 130m to 149m metric that just miss the cut). Note: This list includes 10 towers over 200m (and 3 more just shy of the height).

These are all just Toronto (not GTA -Mississauga, Vaughan et). Happy digging.

St Clair Place | 150m
145 Wellington West | 213.05m
14 Duncan | 156.69m
260 Adelaide West | 196.8m
241 Church | 170.65m
200 Queens Quay West | 197.4m
250 University | 155.76m
240 Adelaide West | 199m
483 Bay | 226.63m
2 Carlton | 251.1m
18 Dalhousie | 173.51m
100 Simcoe | 209.6m
QueenChurch | 185.9m (demo permits in progress so likely approved)

Union Park | 303.26m 4 towers from 186m to 303m
Office towers are 303m (60s) and 262m (50s) 
residential towers are 192m (52s) and 186m

Pretty sure both towers of FORMA are approved
Forma 
308.00 metres
266.50 metres

Sugar Wharf Phase 2 (3 towers over 150m)
I think the 3 Sugar Wharf Phase 2 towers (all 3 over 150m - tallest @ 299m) are approved since Toronto Hydro is moving electrics to accomodate a start soon and some rigs have been on site doing soil testing etc.

310 Front West | 235.5m* (not 100% sure it’s approved but they have filed a site-plan application)

P.S. There's no way I'm counting approved projects over 100 metres... I'd need new glasses.

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 23, 2022 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:56 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
There was a small avalanche of "Recommended for Approval" (or approved via settlements at LPAT) for projects in May and June that I noted in all my posts. It's a pretty safe bet to include them as approved.

There's more out there for sure, but here's a 23 tower start for you (and lots more in the 130m to 149m metric that just miss the cut). Note: This list includes 10 towers over 200m (and 3 more just shy of the height).

These are all just Toronto (not GTA -Mississauga, Vaughan et). Happy digging.

St Clair Place | 150m
145 Wellington West | 213.05m
14 Duncan | 156.69m
260 Adelaide West | 196.8m
241 Church | 170.65m
200 Queens Quay West | 197.4m
250 University | 155.76m
240 Adelaide West | 199m
483 Bay | 226.63m
2 Carlton | 251.1m
18 Dalhousie | 173.51m
100 Simcoe | 209.6m
QueenChurch | 185.9m (demo permits in progress so likely approved)

Union Park | 303.26m 4 towers from 186m to 303m
Office towers are 303m (60s) and 262m (50s) 
residential towers are 192m (52s) and 186m

Pretty sure both towers of FORMA are approved
Forma 
308.00 metres
266.50 metres

Sugar Wharf Phase 2 (3 towers over 150m)
I think the 3 Sugar Wharf Phase 2 towers (all 3 over 150m - tallest @ 299m) are approved since Toronto Hydro is moving electrics to accomodate a start soon and some rigs have been on site doing soil testing etc.

310 Front West | 235.5m* (not 100% sure it’s approved but they have filed a site-plan application)

P.S. There's no way I'm counting approved projects over 100 metres... I'd need new glasses.
LOL. That's ok. I mainly keep count of skyscrapers over 150 metres. We're just 18 behind Chicago - 119-137, including built/uc. This is better than I'd hoped. It's great to see so many towers approved. Have a great day, and thanks for all your great help and work!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 5:08 PM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 6:11 PM

CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre l Phase 2 u/c

Cores are well above grade and apparently 4 cranes aren’t enough… a 5th crane will added lol.

Riseth

Riseth

The south half of the Overbuild Park (across the rail corridor between the 2 towers) is open, while the north half is being used for Phase 2 construction staging. Below is a rendering of the eventual north portion of the park (summer = music etc, winter = skating).

cibcsquare.com

The Saint | 151m | 47s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects l u/c

UT

ML555

UT

160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG l u/c

Progress drawing.

Contra

Timeline - they basically have built 3/4 of the tower above grade (except cladding) in 14 months or so.

Contra

W Hotel Toronto | ?m | 9s | Larco | a—A l just opened

This make-over has made a large and welcome dent into the eastern section of the giant pre-cast concrete wall of the (former) Hudson Bay store.

Combined with The Bay’s plans (see below*) to redevelop the western section of the city’s “Berlin Wall” (hopefully with some well-designed street-scaping)… the north side of Bloor Street East will be a far more hospitable place to walk, shop, eat and party.

UT
“SkyLight” rooftop bar

UT
“The Living Rook” tapas bar.

UT
“Public School” along Bloor Street.

UT
The sound suite

UT

UT
Outdoor terrace.

UT
Another terrace with “bird cage” seating.

UT

UT

Rascacielo

*Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 39.24m | 7s | Brookfield | Adamson l pre-construction

A very early sketch (office and retail). After prolonged ‘stonewalling’ talks and sabre-rattling to sort out a strategy to accommodate both The Bay’s redevelopment plans and the $1.5 Billion Yonge-Bloor subway station expansion (a chunk of which sits under Brookfield’s property), the city is talking about expropriation and Brookfield is assembling their lawyers.

The subway expansion is in the design phase and planned for a 2024 construction start (5 to 6 years of construction). Stay tuned.

UT
The “Great Wall” of Toronto.

UT

Ace Hotel Toronto | 44.8m | 13s | Carbon Hospitality | Shim-Sutcliffe l just opened

Some more shots of this unique hotel that just opened.

kozak

ChesterCopperpot

ADRM

ADRM

ADRM

ADRM

Cool shot of The Well u/c at night.

AlbertC

AlbertC

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 6:16 AM

Smile The Saint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Look at all the towers going up in the background of your Saint pictures. You almost can't take a picture of a tower going up without catching other u/c towers in it!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 11:31 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

If The Saint doesn't have life-sized representations of all of Val Kilmer's disguises in the movie of the same name tastefully - or tastelessly - scattered throughout the common areas, it needs to be sent back to planning immediately.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:56 AM

The development in Toronto is absolutely mind boggling.

I'm originally from San Diego and moving to Seattle, so this is coming from an outsider. How is this massive influx of residential affecting the housing market?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
If The Saint doesn't have life-sized representations of all of Val Kilmer's disguises in the movie of the same name tastefully - or tastelessly - scattered throughout the common areas, it needs to be sent back to planning immediately.
Hey I like Val, but I really take issue with this (and no ageist jokes).

The Saint should feature some photos of Roger Moore... and more importantly, a P1800 Volvo in the lobby

On a personal note, when I was teenager with a newly-minted driver's license, my father sold! his BOSS 302 Mustang (the king of TransAm racing) and brought home the little 4 cylinder Swedish monstrosity with tail wings (P1800). I screamed at him. "Wait until you drive it" said father.

Long story short, my first car was a Volvo 1800ES (a bit like a sleek wagon version of the P1800 that was only released for 2 years). I took it across Canada, south to California and zig-zagged my way north-east back to Niagara (I made that trip twice in one year lol). On my eighteenth birthday I totalled this gorgeous racing green beauty that could do 138mph with a 4 cylinder engine. I recently saw a mint-condition (identical to mine) 1800ES was sold for $275,000 (I had paid $5k).

Link

P.S. The Saint is obviously is referencing its location on Church Street, between Toronto's 2 largest cathedrals.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishy View Post
The development in Toronto is absolutely mind boggling.

I'm originally from San Diego and moving to Seattle, so this is coming from an outsider. How is this massive influx of residential affecting the housing market?
Interest rates rather than population growth is what determines the prices of development in Toronto/Canada.

The purpose built rental market is also building more high-rises now than any other time in Toronto's history so that should take up a large part of the population increase as most are new immigrants without enough money to buy property in Toronto when they arrive..

Last edited by Nite; Jul 25, 2022 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:21 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Haha! Yes, that is a classic car.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:53 PM

in related news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
The City of Toronto City Council just had its last regularly scheduled meeting of this term, due to elections in the fall.

Between the normal pressure of consolidating the business of 3 or so meetings into 1; and a change in planning regulations that meant added pressure to get some things approved.......

Well, I thought this worth reporting:

25,000 housing units approved at the meeting (Zoning Approval)

(based on type/size of units) - enough to house 46,000 people.

12 new parks

121M in Community benefits

Across 142 different projects.

Along with 7.5M ft 2 of non-residential space (largely employment/commercial)
AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora View Post
Immigration by metro area (CMA and MSA), 2021, top 10

Toronto: 142,775
New York: 101,708
Vancouver: 53,925
Los Angeles: 50,960
Miami: 49,288
Montreal: 40,360
Washington: 27,636
Houston: 26,146
Dallas: 25,710
San Francisco: 24,670

US Lawful Permanent Residents: 2021 (US Dept of Homeland Security)
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...s_fy2021_0.pdf

Permanent Residents – Monthly IRCC Updates - Canada - Admissions of Permanent Residents by Province/Territory and Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) of Intended Destination (Open Data, Government of Canada)
https://open.canada.ca/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 4:40 PM

Smile Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
in related news:

AND
Great update; thanks so much! This is amazing news all around.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Interest rates rather than population growth is what determines the prices of development in Toronto/Canada.

The purpose built rental market is also building more high-rises now than any other time in Toronto's history so that should take up a large part of the population increase as most are new immigrants without enough money to buy property in Toronto when they arrive..
Unfortunately, most / all of that new, purpose-built rental housing is high-end / luxurty and is far beyond the reach of most renters, except maybe senior executives, senior professionals and wealthy empty-nesters. We're talking rent in excess of $3,000/month for something too small to share comfortably with a roommate, ie, well under 500 s.f. There's no way most young people and new immigrants can afford that.

Despite the massive amount of residential construction in Toronto, we're still very much in a housing crisis. This isn't going to be solved by the private sector alone.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
Unfortunately, most / all of that new, purpose-built rental housing is high-end / luxurty and is far beyond the reach of most renters, except maybe senior executives, senior professionals and wealthy empty-nesters. We're talking rent in excess of $3,000/month for something too small to share comfortably with a roommate, ie, well under 500 s.f. There's no way most young people and new immigrants can afford that.

Despite the massive amount of residential construction in Toronto, we're still very much in a housing crisis. This isn't going to be solved by the private sector alone.
all new buildings are for the high end, and when they age they become for the low-end. this includes new condo's and new rentals. I don't get how people don't understand this.
The affordable buildings of the future are the high-end buildings being built now.
We were not building a lot of high-end buildings 20-30 years ago is why we have an affordability crises now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:39 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this yesterday, of a site for a 38 floor addition to a rental building witha new crane on site to start this buildings rise. It's 75 Broadway, and the white building in the background is another 38 floor addition to a rental building, set to have it's crane dismantled this week by my estimate based on local planned road closures.
Crane by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 10:50 PM

Union Park | 303.26m | 58s | Oxford Properties | Pelli Clarke & Partners l Approved

- the east (super-tall) office tower is now listed as 60 storeys @ 303 metres
- the west office tower is now listed as 50 storeys @ 262 metres
- south residential tower from 54 to 52 storeys @ 192metres
- north residential tower increased from 44 to 50 storeys @ 186 metres

Phase 1: 2 residential towers and west office tower
Phase 2: east (super-tall) office tower

The proposed over-build park across the rail corridor has increased to 8,368 square metres in size, many times larger than the CIBC Square 1 & 2 overbuild park.

South elevation - Note: the 2 residential (rental!) towers on the left are superimposed, appearing as one tower.

3D
In context

3D

8 Wellesley | Residences at Yonge | 182.15m | 55s | CentreCourt | IBI Group l u/c

Deep dig. This one is getting its crane next week.

Northern Light.

UT

1425 Bloor West | 65.05m | 18s | KingSett Capital | BDP Quadrangle l approved

Can’t remember if I posted this nice addition to the Junction Triangle that was just approved. Condo, rental institutional and retail.

UT

UT

UT

The United BLDG | 179.52m | 52s | Davpart | B+H l demolition

An insane amount of steel reinforcemnt for the heritage components, before they dig down. Billed as North America’s tallest heritage retention development.

tstormers

UT

First aerial view as they start top down demolition.

Towered

UT

900 The East Mall | 71.6m | 21s | Harhay | Core Architects l approved(?)

Now “recommended for approval”. 4 buildings including 836 condo units, institutional, office, public space and retail.

UT

eastm2

1801 Eglinton Avenue West | 141.83m | 41s | KingSett Capital | BDP Quadrangle l approved

UT

AlbertC

UT

506 Church Street | 49.79m | 14s | Graywood | Diamond Schmitt l recommended for approval

UT

3310 Kingston | 40.7m | 11s | Morrison Group | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

One of a trio of similarly-scaled projects with condo and retail, in a couple of blocks between McCowen and Markham Road. Two other future neighbours are seen below.

UT

UT

3291 Kingston Road | 35.6m | 11s | LCH | RAW Design l pre-construction

UT

UT

3355 Kingston Road | 41.2m | 11s | KAD | Core Architects l pre-construction

UT

150 Laird | 28m | 8s | V!VA | RAW Design l u/c

Some serious mid-rise intensification along Laird. This one’s not bad… I think many of the nicest buildings underway/completed in the city are mid-rises* (checkered results in the high-rise category ;-). These are retirement rentals in 2 buildings.

UT

UT

28 Eastern | 45.4m | 12s | Alterra | Teeple Architects l u/c

*Two cranes = lots of progress on this nice mid-rise.

Northern Light

UT

The Bedford | 52.97m | 13s | Burnac Corporation | AUDAX l pre-construction

Two storeys shorter in the new rendering but still looks good.

UT

Cavo Condominiums | 82m | 24s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects l pre-construction

Islington north of Bloor.

UT

UT

St. Dennis & Grenoble l 52s l Osmington Gerofsky Development l aA + Urban Strategies l pre-construction (Development Application just submitted)

A big infill Transit Oriented Development for long-neglected Flemington Park. The plan keeps the existing apartment buildings (no tenant relocation), adds 4 new towers, new roads and a new public park.

2,000 residential units in 4 towers: 52s, 46s, 42s and 34s.

ProjectEnd

In context on the right (with future proposals ghosted in).

ProjectEnd

ProjectEnd

Not far from this classy (bricky!) offering from Diamond Schmitt & Ten Block. You go Flemington.

48 Grenoble | 144m | 43s | Tenblock | Diamond Schmitt l pre-construction

Condo and rental in 43 and 41 storey towers.

UT

UT

Misty Mississauga in the background, Humber Bay on the left.

tstormers

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 28, 2022 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 5:43 AM

Quote:
all new buildings are for the high end, and when they age they become for the low-end. this includes new condo's and new rentals. I don't get how people don't understand this.
The affordable buildings of the future are the high-end buildings being built now.
We were not building a lot of high-end buildings 20-30 years ago is why we have an affordability crises now.
The aging process of rental buildings from high-end to middle-end is too slow for people who need affordable housing now. They can't wait 25 years.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 1:05 PM

Eh I lived in a ~10 year old rental building from 2017 to 2020 and it was already significantly cheaper than new build rentals. Like 20-30% less, even for a renovated unit. And bigger units to boot. I had a 560sf, newly renovated (new kitchen, bathroom, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, the works) for less than what 450sf new builds were going for at the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations