HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:58 PM

Was in Winnipeg again on Friday, what's with the abandoned army base on Kenaston? Looks prime for redevelopment, but it seems like it's been abandoned for a while...

Also, fantastic updates on this page! Winnipeg is booming these days!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Was in Winnipeg again on Friday, what's with the abandoned army base on Kenaston? Looks prime for redevelopment, but it seems like it's been abandoned for a while...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...40#post8676840

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Nice argument in there lol.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Nice argument in there lol.
Yeah, forgot that was going on. Have a look at the previous page for plans and details:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...218502&page=14

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:

Kapyong Barracks Redevelopment
Developer: Treaty One Development Corporation & Canada Lands Company Limited
Cost: $2+ billion investment
Project Thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=218502
Description: Formerly part of Canadian Forces Base/17 Wing Winnipeg, the Kapyong Barracks property is located between the Tuxedo and River Heights neighbourhoods in southwest Winnipeg. The property is comprised of approximately 65 hectares of land and 40 buildings, and was home to 2nd Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, until it relocated to Canadian Forces Base Shilo in 2004. Seven Treaty 1 First Nations will be taking over the Kapyong Barracks land with plans to develop the largest urban reserve in Canada. Around two-thirds of the abandoned military base is being developed by the Treaty 1 Development Corporation, and the rest of the property will be developed by Canada Lands Co., a Crown corporation. Plans may include a sports facility, hotel, convention centre, war museum and an Indigenous hospice, green space as well as low, medium and high density residential areas.

Kapyong Barracks closed in June 2004 it was relocated to CFB Shilo. Had the land been transfered to Canada Lands it would have been developed by now, instead Treaty One First Nations had it tied up in court for over a decade with land claims. It's finally settled now, hopefully we will start to see development soon.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:49 AM
BANNED

^ Which is a very lackluster, hodge-podge, dog's breakfast style of development for such prime land. This one, I will admit, is a true waste of space for what it's worth.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:23 PM

Since it is a reserve I assume the residential areas will only be for natives? Or are they rented out to anyone?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
^ Which is a very lackluster, hodge-podge, dog's breakfast style of development for such prime land. This one, I will admit, is a true waste of space for what it's worth.
It's probably better than what would have been built had the land hit the market 15 years ago... I'm sure it would have been just a bunch of shindico special stucco boxes scattered around a sea of parking. This is not great, but at least it's better than that.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:01 PM

I hear that the Manitoba Museum is getting ready to unveil its new Winnipeg Gallery, which is part of its phase 2 of its gallery renewal which also includes the new Grassland and orientation galleries opening next year, along with the refurbishment of the Nonsuch Gallery which reopened last year.

The third and final phase will be the most exciting one, the construction of a new science gallery on the surface lot to the north, along with reorientation of the museum to Main Street. It's a fairly ambitious improvement and expansion of the museum's facilities, and it'll be interesting to see if the Manitoba Museum can make this happen anytime soon.

More info here: https://manitobamuseum.ca/capital-campaign/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:18 PM
Back from the dead

Well, the Kapyong thing looks like it'll be a pretty standard kind of development and certainly nothing new. I was hoping for something unique in Winnipeg but I suppose it makes more sense to see what details emerge. That being said, do we need another convention center or arena? I guess it doesn't hurt but actually, the convention center might.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I hear that the Manitoba Museum is getting ready to unveil its new Winnipeg Gallery, which is part of its phase 2 of its gallery renewal which also includes the new Grassland and orientation galleries opening next year, along with the refurbishment of the Nonsuch Gallery which reopened last year.

The third and final phase will be the most exciting one, the construction of a new science gallery on the surface lot to the north, along with reorientation of the museum to Main Street. It's a fairly ambitious improvement and expansion of the museum's facilities, and it'll be interesting to see if the Manitoba Museum can make this happen anytime soon.

More info here: https://manitobamuseum.ca/capital-campaign/
I'm wondering if you think that Winnipeg really needs more museums and galleries? Don't get me wrong, the project seems great in absolute terms, but on the margin, is it is the best investment for taxpayer money? Downtown already has:

* CMHR
* the Children's Museum
* Manitoba Museum
* WAG
* the new Inuit Art Gallery

Google maps shows a number of smaller museums (can't verify their quality):
* The Saint Boniface Museum
* Dalnavert on Carlton
* the Naval Museum
* sport hall of fame
* firefighter hall of fame

and the Metis National Heritage Centre is also planned for Fort and Assiniboine. Outside of Downtown, there's also the new Aviation Museum renewal project. So it seems we're not lacking in these, and I'm not sure museums have that much of a tangibly positive impact on the lives of Winnipegers. I think most people, myself included, go to these attractions maybe once every 10 or so years and that's all, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:35 PM

^ Seeing that it's the most important museum in Manitoba, I'd say yes. It's 50 years old and some refreshment and expansion is in order.

We basically have three large, top-tier public museums and galleries in town... Manitoba Museum, CMHR and the WAG. The rest are fairly small. That doesn't seem like an inordinate number for a city the size of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We basically have three large, top-tier public museums and galleries in town
I would say it is four with a small side note, the Aviation museum being the fourth but it is currently closed due to its relocation. In theory the Costume Museum if it is still around would also be of note as it has a fairly large collection and is relatively unique in Canada. That said the ill fated move from Dugald to the Exchange effectively killed their public exhibits.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:00 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

costume museum as an entity still exists and does pop up stuff otherwise everything is in storage

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I would say it is four with a small side note, the Aviation museum being the fourth but it is currently closed due to its relocation. In theory the Costume Museum if it is still around would also be of note as it has a fairly large collection and is relatively unique in Canada. That said the ill fated move from Dugald to the Exchange effectively killed their public exhibits.
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to include the Aviation Museum on the list or not, but I decided to exclude it given that it's a fair bit smaller than the others.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 9:00 PM

I believe the Manitoba Museum gets a large portion of it's operating funds from private donations and organizations like the Winnipeg Foundation, rather than government grants. It may be different for these large capital expenditures, but I know the Museum prides itself on it's fundraising prowess. Either way, IMO, it is the primary museum for the province, and as such deserves any government money it receives. The displays have been getting a little shabby looking lately, so this refurbishment, and a new science gallery, will certainly be welcome!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I'm wondering if you think that Winnipeg really needs more museums and galleries?
It's not a matter of "more" museums, it's about an old and out-dated museum getting a refresher. It is entirely normal for museums and galleries to expand over the course of decades. Just as convention centres, sports facilities, parks, etc. do.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I'm wondering if you think that Winnipeg really needs more museums and galleries? Don't get me wrong, the project seems great in absolute terms, but on the margin, is it is the best investment for taxpayer money? Downtown already has:

* CMHR
* the Children's Museum
* Manitoba Museum
* WAG
* the new Inuit Art Gallery

Google maps shows a number of smaller museums (can't verify their quality):
* The Saint Boniface Museum
* Dalnavert on Carlton
* the Naval Museum
* sport hall of fame
* firefighter hall of fame

and the Metis National Heritage Centre is also planned for Fort and Assiniboine. Outside of Downtown, there's also the new Aviation Museum renewal project. So it seems we're not lacking in these, and I'm not sure museums have that much of a tangibly positive impact on the lives of Winnipegers. I think most people, myself included, go to these attractions maybe once every 10 or so years and that's all, but maybe I'm wrong.
Here's one joshlmer

http://manitobaelectricalmuseum.ca/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:41 AM

Most museums have realized that static displays where you simply stare and read information have been supplanted by the Internet. There has to be a reason to go there in person that adds value. This also explains why locals don't go frequently to some places. Unless the experience changes from one visit to the next, what is the point of going frequently?

To me, the most important part of the Manitoba Museum project is the prospect of getting a full-on Science Centre next door. The existing Science Gallery in the basement is fine for what is there, but it is not exactly a major destination. I'm sure the day to day bills for a new Science Centre would be paid by visiting science classes, but think of the possibilities. A family wondering if they should book a trip to Winnipeg would probably have one major reason for wanting to go but would look to see if there are enough other attractions to justify the trip. A well-done Science Centre can be the highlight of any trip with kids from San Francisco to Sudbury.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:56 AM

The current science centre is beyond lame... it isn't even that it's small, it's that so much of what is there is mostly broken down remnants from the 80s thrown around in an incoherent way. I'd be content with just a top-down refresh of the current space, but a new building would be fantastic. I'm curious as to how far along they are with their capital campaign for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan