HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 7:59 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
who gets to decide what's properly researched and accurate
Well the status quo is that whether they are or not they're still free to be published. The proposed change is that if there is party influence in the articles published then they should be restricted. I'm saying let's not even talk about restrictions unless you can prove the the articles are politically motivated lies.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 8:11 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
who gets to decide what's properly researched and accurate
Facts can be checked. Activist groups that falsely label Alberta oil as dirty, wrongfully claim that diluted bitumen sinks or exaggerate the carbon or fresh water footprints of oil sands development can be held as accountable as a media organization that misrepresents the truth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 9:42 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,568
ok, is anthropogenic climate change a fact?

edit: fixed typo

Last edited by headhorse; Apr 23, 2019 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:48 PM
jawagord's Avatar
jawagord jawagord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
ok, is anthropomorphic climate change a fact?
Maybe in psychology?
__________________
The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound. That's why Darwin will always be right and Malthus will always be wrong - K.R.Sridhar

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:36 AM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
ok, is anthropogenic climate change a fact?

edit: fixed typo
Yes. The sky is blue. Neither fact changes the fact that dilbit doesn't sink, a barrel of oil sands production does not consume three barrels of fresh water and its carbon footprint isn't much larger than average. The likes of Tides and David Suzuki are accountable for the misinformation they spread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:51 AM
milomilo milomilo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Yes. The sky is blue. Neither fact changes the fact that dilbit doesn't sink, a barrel of oil sands production does not consume three barrels of fresh water and its carbon footprint isn't much larger than average. The likes of Tides and David Suzuki are accountable for the misinformation they spread.
There's misinformation about everything. You ever seen all the bullshit spread about hydraulic fracturing? Jason Kenney pretending that he can shut down that misinformation is both dishonest and unhelpful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:53 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
There's misinformation about everything. You ever seen all the bullshit spread about hydraulic fracturing? Jason Kenney pretending that he can shut down that misinformation is both dishonest and unhelpful.
He didn't say he was going to shut it down. He said he's going counter it with the truth and where possible through the courts. Doing nothing is what would be unhelpful. We should have sued most of these groups out of existence years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:15 AM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
He didn't say he was going to shut it down. He said he's going counter it with the truth and where possible through the courts. Doing nothing is what would be unhelpful. We should have sued most of these groups out of existence years ago.
Kenney will be successful if he makes any of these groups tone down their misinformation. Money spent tying them up in court will suppress their activities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:24 AM
milomilo milomilo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,674
Good luck. Fighting those sorts just attracts attention to their cause and makes them stronger. I honestly can't believe you two are naive enough to think we can win any battles with them.

They also have a point. Oil from the Albertan Oil Sands is some of the most greenhouse gas intensive in the world. It makes us defending its production much harder - if we worked to increase its credentials (rather than just trying to spin it as Kenney wants to do), we could credibly say that producing our oil is better than someone else's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:11 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,568
^ an ignorant oil industry shill is definitely not going to win against teams of lawyers and scientists who knows these issues much better than anyone in the fucking ucp. we'll see how low our justice system will go to protect these white collar criminals though
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:19 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ an ignorant oil industry shill is definitely not going to win against teams of lawyers and scientists who knows these issues much better than anyone in the fucking ucp. we'll see how low our justice system will go to protect these white collar criminals though
Tides et al do not employ teams of scientists and lawyers. Creep their LinkedIn profiles. Mostly social media experts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:21 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,568
^ I'm referring to press progress. vivian krause is a conspiracy theorist whose "research" belongs in the trash. yeah, all the american companies are using american NGO's to trap in the oilsands - which are owned by same american companies and investors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:04 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ I'm referring to press progress. vivian krause is a conspiracy theorist whose "research" belongs in the trash. yeah, all the american companies are using american NGO's to trap in the oilsands - which are owned by same american companies and investors.
Progress Alberta (subsidiary or Press Progress) is the worst of the worst. Duncan Kinney is at best a second rate activist. His prior experience included President of Edmonton Bicycle Commuters and freelance photography. Given his failure to even reduce the combined popular vote share of the PC and WR parties, he is likely looking for work ūüėä

If you actually read Vivian Krause's research instead of taking the lazy approach of accepting the bias of others, you would know it is based on tax filings by Tides, the Rockefeller Institute, the Packard Foundation etc. Do you think these groups lie to the IRS? Krause's past experience in the aquaculture industry uncovered how these groups mislead public opinion by misquoting scientific literature. They created ads stating that pregnant women should avoid farmed fish, referencing a scientific article. The actual article was about farmed fish having slightly lower mercury levels than wild fish, and both being well under safe limits. They prey on ignorance knowing that few will actually trace information to its source. The AB government should be able to easily cripple these groups with libel and slander accusations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1154  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:51 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
UCP election win overshadowed by criminality that allowed Kenney to take the helm. New charges handed out over Kenney's #Kamikaze candidate

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...ship-race.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1155  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:54 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Progress Alberta (subsidiary or Press Progress) is the worst of the worst.
I get that you don't like investigative reporting that uncovers illegal activities within the Unite the alt-Right:
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1121460590336073729

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1156  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:05 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I get that you don't like investigative reporting that uncovers illegal activities within the Unite the alt-Right:
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1121460590336073729

Did Progress Alberta break the story or did someone from the NDP campaign office or the union due funded Broadband Institute forward a link from a real source? Progress Alberta is a third party advertisor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1157  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:34 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Did Progress Alberta break the story or did someone from the NDP campaign office or the union due funded Broadband Institute forward a link from a real source? Progress Alberta is a third party advertisor.
This is the type of thinking that allowed sexual abuse in Catholic residential schools to go on for so long. Instead of focusing on the crimes and atoning for sins, it was all about trying to find out who ratted out the culprits.

Still, to answer your question - this whole thing got blown open as Conservatives came out with horror stories about the internal workings of the Kenney machine. Ever wonder why Brian Jean still has not congratulated Jason Kenney?

Last edited by suburbia; Apr 25, 2019 at 9:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1158  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 5:06 AM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
RCMP bring in extra resources; add officers from Airdrie attachment and expand investigation of UCP voter fraud to Edmonton
Dragnet closing in on UCP leadership

LINK - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5113684
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1159  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 7:27 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
Congrats to the new Premier, Jason Kenney!

LINK - https://twitter.com/albertaNDP/statu...93067857948672
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1160  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 10:03 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,157
delete
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.