HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:44 PM

The LED streetlight pilot will run from October to December, beginning in Regina and moving to Saskatoon. In Regina, nearly 1000 lights will be converted to LED along Lewvan Drive, the northeast industrial area, and the Lakewood Subdivision. In Saskatoon, approximately 500 LED lights will be installed in various locations in the northern part of the city. These areas were selected as they provide a range of settings to test the new streetlights, including heavy traffic areas, commercial and industrial parks and residential subdivisions.
http://www.saskpower.com/about-us/me...-streetlights/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:50 PM

New pedway between Cornwall & RBC/Federal building is open now. Nothing too exciting. Hallway into the mall isn't exactly open & welcoming... but it'll get the job done.

Mayby once H&M is open & Laura Secord/other outlet open, there'll be windows and the hallway will feel less secluded/hidden.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:51 PM

Doesn't Wascana Centre already have LED path lighting in place? I think the multi-use pathway between the university and Douglas Park is all LED already.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Doesn't Wascana Centre already have LED path lighting in place? I think the multi-use pathway between the university and Douglas Park is all LED already.
There is plenty of LED already such as Arcola East and Highway 11 near Albert but this is converting existing lights.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:26 AM

Bypass opened

So I drove the new portion of the bypass that opened today and I am impressed. It seems well built and well designed. I have one complaint though. The signs on the westbound portion are not clear that trucks and through traffic still needs to come west on Vic into the eastern part of the city to Ring road. They have small orange signs that are hard to read quickly as you appraosh. In fact I witnessed several semis coming down to Arcola and appearing confused and lost. This will surely create traffic chaos in the morning. The Large green HWY signs all indicate to take the new bypass portion to HWY 1 west Moose Jaw via 33. Someone needs to cover those up until the rest of the bypass is ready. Other than that it was a pleasure to drive on.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustACitizen View Post
So I drove the new portion of the bypass that opened today and I am impressed. It seems well built and well designed. I have one complaint though. The signs on the westbound portion are not clear that trucks and through traffic still needs to come west on Vic into the eastern part of the city to Ring road. They have small orange signs that are hard to read quickly as you appraosh. In fact I witnessed several semis coming down to Arcola and appearing confused and lost. This will surely create traffic chaos in the morning. The Large green HWY signs all indicate to take the new bypass portion to HWY 1 west Moose Jaw via 33. Someone needs to cover those up until the rest of the bypass is ready. Other than that it was a pleasure to drive on.
Agreed see http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210105

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:35 PM

Regarding the Sears catalogue centre on Broad and 4th, I know it's a long shot that this could be converted to condos, but I was recently looking at its big brother, the Merchandise Lofts in Toronto. Some of the units are very narrow and deep like a bowling alley, but I think that could be mitigated by using the core space for other purposes, in addition to the usual hallways, elevators, stairways and utility areas. Apparently the merchandise lofts even has a basketball court.

Perhaps each floor of the building could have some sort of common area in the centre of the floor plate. Some ideas might be a common party room, sport courts, pool, fitness facility, secure storage units for owners, etc. Much of the main floor can be converted to parking.

There is no market right now but there may be in a few years.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:16 AM

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1255833 Regina bus depot announcement tomorrow

Last edited by thefourthtower; Nov 10, 2017 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:24 PM

In the video they say (right at the end, of course) that the city and police department have a joint announcement coming, so it would seem it will be part of the police station.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:40 PM

Formal announcement has been made: police into STC Depot.

City of Regina‏ @CityofRegina
The City’s bid to purchase the STC bus depot and head office was successful. This prime location coming on the market is good news for #YQR residents. A complete facility complex for @RPS will better serve the community.

Kevin Martel‏ @KevinMartel
Total cost of purchase $37 mil. Cost to buy building $16 mil. Cost to repurpose $21 mil. It would have cost $140 mil to build brand new. #yqr

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/stc-depot-i...vice-1.3672130

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:02 PM

Happiest person in Regina right now is the Robin's Donuts franchisee. 500 cops right in your building!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Happiest person in Regina right now is the Robin's Donuts franchisee. 500 cops right in your building!
Nice one Stormer! LOL

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Formal announcement has been made: police into STC Depot.

City of Regina‏ @CityofRegina
The City’s bid to purchase the STC bus depot and head office was successful. This prime location coming on the market is good news for #YQR residents. A complete facility complex for @RPS will better serve the community.

Kevin Martel‏ @KevinMartel
Total cost of purchase $37 mil. Cost to buy building $16 mil. Cost to repurpose $21 mil. It would have cost $140 mil to build brand new. #yqr

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/stc-depot-i...vice-1.3672130
The tower of STC was built to be able to build additional floors too.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:48 AM

the Regina construction threat is so disappointing.. each time i see someone has posted i'm hoping its with news of something exciting for the city.. a shiny new tower perhaps.. but that is never the case. looks like things are stagnant in Regina while the rest of the country builds.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
the Regina construction threat is so disappointing.. each time i see someone has posted i'm hoping its with news of something exciting for the city.. a shiny new tower perhaps.. but that is never the case. looks like things are stagnant in Regina while the rest of the country builds.
I'll let you in on a secret. Regina is a small city. And the economy has an impact.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 1:03 AM

Regina is still coming down from a construction boom that included the tallest office tower in the province. A breather to let the market catch up is understandable. There won’t be demand for new Class A space for a while. (By the way, they ain’t building any new office towers in Calgary for a while either)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Well to be fair, Regina had a construction boom 5-10 years ago while the rest of the country sat stagnant...it's the result of our economy being detached from the rest, to a degree.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 1:51 AM

I'd be shocked if any new office or hotel towers come forward in the next 5 years. I could see a new condo project, but it's far from certain.

The city and province are broke too. It's going to be a quiet next few years.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Totally not the case during the boom SIX towers where built , a major new stadium which is getting rave reviews , A TWO Billion dollar Regina bypass, the renewal of the rail yards are underway multiple new subdivisions , new Industrail parks where have you been and where do you post, don't worry something new will come along

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Totally not the case during the boom SIX towers where built , a major new stadium which is getting rave reviews , A TWO Billion dollar Regina bypass, the renewal of the rail yards are underway multiple new subdivisions , new Industrail parks where have you been and where do you post, don't worry something new will come along
What part of the railyard renewal is underway?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan