HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:03 PM
Beadyeyez Beadyeyez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 120
Quote:
Oh, and what about that music t-shirt, water pipe, zippo lighter, switchblade, incense-smelling, etc. store that used to be on the Scarth St. Mall?
"Charisma" it was called. They used to sell all kinds of paraphernalia,scales, pipes...and some kind of Middle East cigarettes called "Beanies" that my friends used to sell to idiots as joints...lol...those were the days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:22 PM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 629
Pedelli had the best fries... lots of seasoning and incredibly salty. I've never had fries that good since.

I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St. My friends and I would always go there to play video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothirds75 View Post
Just today, I was in the Golden Mile and pointed out to my wife where Pedelli's was ( I probably last had it when I was about 8 around 1983; there was also a bakery in the Golden Mile, and I used to go with my dad to Book and Briar when he was buying new pipe tobacco. I think you could smoke up right in store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:32 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
"Charisma" it was called. They used to sell all kinds of paraphernalia,scales, pipes...and some kind of Middle East cigarettes called "Beanies" that my friends used to sell to idiots as joints...lol...those were the days.
How many Beanies did your friends sell you?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:55 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Pedelli had the best fries... lots of seasoning and incredibly salty. I've never had fries that good since.

I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St. My friends and I would always go there to play video games.
I remember Jungle Jim's being on the corner of Dorothy and Sherwood. It was a movie/video game rental place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:58 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 406
There used to be a Star Wars/space movie store on the 11th. Anyone remember what it was called?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:02 PM
babo's Avatar
babo babo is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I don't like elevators.
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
There used to be a Star Wars/space movie store on the 11th. Anyone remember what it was called?
Subspace Anomalies. It became Tokyo 7.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:09 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Anyone remember a store called S4 (i believe) above Tiki Room? You had to enter in the alley, then go upstairs. They sold electronic records, graffiti supplies and that type of thing. It was a great space but I don't think it lasted very long. I wonder if there's anything in there now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:24 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Subspace Anomalies. It became Tokyo 7.
That's it. I wasted a few bucks there, over the years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 8:55 PM
Dan0myte Dan0myte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St.
This one?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=south+A...18.83,,1,-8.31

That's where the two-storey Dairy Queen was.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 1:56 AM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 629
Yup, that's the one - although I remember it without the frontage where Domino's, Subway and TCBY are now. Perhaps that was added later. I seem to remember that the first floor on the Domino's side was partly open like a driveway, and wrapped around the back of the building for Dairy Queen's drive-thru. Along the driveway on the Domino's side was the door into Jungle Jim's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
This one?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=south+A...18.83,,1,-8.31

That's where the two-storey Dairy Queen was.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:32 AM
brithgob brithgob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 833
I remember more than once my family driving clear across town to that Dairy Queen, because back when the chain had hard ice cream, that was the only location that would chocolate-dip a cone for my mother.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:30 PM
twothirds75 twothirds75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Yes, Charisma!

Quote:
I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St. My friends and I would always go there to play video games.
Heh, I won $250 on a Christmas scratch 'n win as a 13-yr-old at Jungle Jim's. Looking back now, I was lucky the clerk lady didn't steal it on me. She was probably out of line even selling it and redeeming it to me. I forget the ticket, but if you scratched a bonus santa head, you won $250. Which reminds me, I took the winnings, bought:

1. A cheap skateboard at the Southland Woolco
2. A digital watch at the South Albert CONSUMER'S DISTRIBUTING
3. And a Saints and a Seahawks t-shirt at the sporting goods store that was in the Golden Mile...What was that called??? It was a true-blue sports store!

Last edited by twothirds75; Nov 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 4:00 PM
twothirds75 twothirds75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Trianon Ballroom?

I have no memory of even seeing the ballroom, though I think I do remember construction of the Trianon seniors highrise. Any stories from the Trianon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 4:56 PM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 629
Not me personally, but my dad said he used to go there when he was young. It had its heyday back in the days of World War II and shortly after. Apparently it used to be quite a happening place, with big-name jazz greats like Glenn Miller and Guy Lombardo. I've found other references to it online that say that early rock and roll bands played there in the 1950s. Even our great Canadian power trio Rush played there in 1975, early in their career. I'm not sure when it closed for good, but it must have been in the late 70s or early 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothirds75 View Post
I have no memory of even seeing the ballroom, though I think I do remember construction of the Trianon seniors highrise. Any stories from the Trianon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 5:46 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by twothirds75 View Post
I have no memory of even seeing the ballroom, though I think I do remember construction of the Trianon seniors highrise. Any stories from the Trianon?
I have a fantastic black and white photo of my parents at the Trianon in black tie and evening dress holding the Grey Cup that the Riders won in 1966.

At least in that picture, it looks like quite the happening venue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:39 PM
twothirds75 twothirds75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Trianon Ballroom



I got this courtesy Sask Archives. Judging by the look of the cars, I'm guessing it's no later than the '40s.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 12:19 PM
twothirds75 twothirds75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Gold's nightclub, at Parliament and Albert. They had the disco'y elephant logo and a guy in bell bottoms with a moustache. As a kid I always looked forward to going there but they tore it down around '83 or so and built the Gold Square medical clinic building, KFC, etc.

Last edited by twothirds75; Nov 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Teepo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #298  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:43 PM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 629
I believe it started out as the "Old Gold" and later "The Gold". I found a video of its last night in business... check out those 80s fashion crimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9Np6uzAEc

I also seem to remember a restaurant called Waldo's (or something like that) right next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothirds75 View Post
Gold's nightclub, at Parliament and Albert. They had the disco'y elephant logo and a guy in bell bottoms with a moustache. As a kid I always looked forward to going there but they tore it down around '83 or so and built the Gold Square medical clinic building, KFC, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:48 PM
brithgob brithgob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
I believe it started out as the "Old Gold" and later "The Gold". I found a video of its last night in business... check out those 80s fashion crimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9Np6uzAEc

I also seem to remember a restaurant called Waldo's (or something like that) right next to it.
Yup. Both were owned by Gene's, Ltd. which also owned Kentucky Fried Chicken (which had previously been across Albert Street before the Gold Square development was built.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:34 AM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 629
Ah yes, Gene's... who brought us restaurants like Kentucky Fried Chicken, Sammy's Pizza, and Geno's.

http://www.uregina.ca/campaign/donors-sponsors-gl.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Yup. Both were owned by Gene's, Ltd. which also owned Kentucky Fried Chicken (which had previously been across Albert Street before the Gold Square development was built.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.