HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 12:46 PM
JACKinBeantown

Is there a San Antonio project map somewhere? Google maps, perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:21 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Is there a San Antonio project map somewhere? Google maps, perhaps?
I am updating the current one we have.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:30 PM

There is this, courtesy of San Antonio Business Journal as well:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...re/crane-watch

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I am updating the current one we have.
(like button)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTrexler View Post
There is this, courtesy of San Antonio Business Journal as well:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...re/crane-watch
(like button)

The Legacy Lofts look like the Stacks from Ready Player One.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 9:48 PM

While I do work downtown, I rarely get the chance to walk around. Today, I did quite a bit of walking in many parts of downtown. I don't know how they will do Fiesta this year, but it will definitely be limited significantly. So many areas are under construction for dozens of projects. It's pretty crazy. W. Commerce St. at intersection Laredo Street, parts of Dolorosa, W. Nueva St., W. Houston street at Camaron St., Dolorosa st. And W. Commerce street, N. St. Mary's and E. Commerce St., - I'll stop there. There is more. It's pretty bad.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 12:05 PM

Interesting tidbit in a new interview with lobbyist Frank Burney.

Quote:
Q: In your opinion, does Silver Ventures still need incentives?

A: The question is do you want to encourage more high-density, downtown development? We're getting close with our projects — market rate projects can sustain themselves. But it's still very expensive to build downtown. It's a tight footprint. You usually build up rather than out. In certain projects, you need to have some additional incentives to make it happen. I know that there's a focus on housing affordability now, but the issue is whether you want to continue to build your urban core. Since the changes in the new incentive policy (approved by City Council in December), I doubt you're going to see any new market-rate projects come along. I think the council may have to revisit the decisions they made on the new incentives later in the year if they really want to encourage new projects. I'm working on one right now that's an $80 million apartment project that's going to need incentives to happen. The question is do you want that kind of development?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 5:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I was thinking, "Why does this guy repeatedly stress the need for incentives to build downtown?" Then I saw what you wrote... he's a lobbyist. Aside from his blatant lobbying for incentives and that you should take his angle with a grain of salt, it's interesting to hear that one of his clients is working on a development ("that's going to need incentives to happen").

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I was thinking, "Why does this guy repeatedly stress the need for incentives to build downtown?" Then I saw what you wrote... he's a lobbyist. Aside from his blatant lobbying for incentives and that you should take his angle with a grain of salt, it's interesting to hear that one of his clients is working on a development ("that's going to need incentives to happen").
Yes, it’s why I deliberately stated his occupation as a lobbyist. However, the real nugget was a $80 million residential development. That could be a really nice building in the core.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
That would be sweet!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 9:05 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Yes, it’s why I deliberately stated his occupation as a lobbyist. However, the real nugget was a $80 million residential development. That could be a really nice building in the core.
Yes, and I gave you credit.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 2:53 AM

SmartStop Self Storage, the storage place right off 281 in Midtown, will soon be home to a five story residential development by AREA Real Estate and designed by Humphreys and Partners.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
SmartStop Self Storage, the storage place right off 281 in Midtown, will soon be home to a five story residential development by AREA Real Estate and designed by Humphreys and Partners.
this is AWESOME news

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:19 AM
Paradise

Well that does sound exciting.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:38 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...tay-hotel.html

Does anyone have any information regarding this project? It's behind a paywall. I recently noticed it on the SA Business Journal Crane Watch.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:10 PM
James

Corpus Christi developer plans extended stay hotel east of downtown

Quote:
A vacant lot across the street from Sunset Station east of downtown may soon be home to a new extended stay hotel, according to a document recently released on the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation's website.

Plans call for an 87-room Candlewood Suites at 1211 E. Commerce St., which is next to 13th Floor Haunted Houses. The plot has been owned by project developer RGB Hospitality Management since April 2016. Based in Corpus Christi, RGB Hospitality is a hotel development and management company that does most of its business in and around Corpus. Along with a 60-car parking garage, the plans state that Houston-based MCS Architects LLC is designing the project and that it will cost an estimated $4.5 million. Work is set to begin on the new hotel in March 2019, with a projected opening in June 2020.

RGB Hospitality also owns a Hampton Inn & Suites in northeast San Antonio at 6718 N. Interstate 35. The company has never developed or managed a Candlewood Suites, according to RGB Hospitality's website. Candlewood Suites is described as a budget-friendly, extended stay hotel.

Attempts to reach RGB Hospitality for comment were unsuccessful.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
I just read the HDRC proposal for this and it looks outstanding. 300 unit residential, commercial/retail/office, full restoration of Art Moderne industrial building, pedestrian trail running along 281 that includes a bridge across the river right below the highway. It adds density and amenities for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 1:52 AM

Would be interesting to see if DPT will follow suit and relocate later down the years. That area is incredibly special.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondog View Post
Would be interesting to see if DPT will follow suit and relocate later down the years. That area is incredibly special.
Years ago someone from DPT told me that there was a ridiculous amount of investment in the equipment and facilities there that would make it almost impossible to move.

But, at a certain point I suppose they stop investing there and start some other facility and gradually wind it down.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:32 PM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...xec-talks.html
Quote:
So-called travel apartment company exec talks expansion in downtown SA

By Ryan Salchert – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Apr 2, 2019, 5:00am CDT

Spokane, Washington-based Stay Alfred, which describes itself as upscale travel apartments, hopes this year to triple its number of rentable units in San Antonio to 66.

The company has signed a lease to move into the 10-story Real Estate Building at 601 N. St. Mary's St. once its redevelopment is completed at the end of September. Being developed by local partners Craig Glendenning and Uri Villarreal, the former Hedrick Building had its concept shifted recently from a 54-unit apartment complex to what the development team calls an extended-stay hotel and Stay Alfred describes slightly differently.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:18 PM

Wait, so this isn't going to be actual apartments anymore? When I hear "extended stay" it makes me think of something that sounds disappointing compared to apartments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio