HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 10:18 PM
Winnipeg

Well I don't think these developers would even build these high end apartments and condos here if there's no demand. And the occupancy looks fine, so I would that negative.

Narratives varie from person to person. There are a lot of nice apartments and condos in the Exchange too. There are expensive and cheaper areas.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Considering how half the local apartments around Downtown Winnipeg are rundown, burned by junkies and overall terrifying to live in - mostly the Armour buildings and others that can barely afford renos, repairs and security - I can see at least some more apartments in downtown. Maybe enough demand for another apartment tower, or two. But honestly, they need to have cheaper apartments. So if its gonna be another Soviet pre-fab that will have affordable rent for all, then I could see more towers coming in, absolutely yes. But those $1200+ per month rents, in a city and province where you can barely get 1200 in minimal wage full-time work, along with house conversions into apartments and rental suites?

The cheaper, the more likely. But those luxury apartments in Winnipeg are going to be a tough sell, unless Pallister and Bowman start bringing out these things called "jobs" above $1200/m in net pay.
fuck off

the issue is that the city (and province) is allowing and incentivizing residential sprawl (both single and multi) to go unchecked. it's way cheaper to build a piece of shit stick frame out in the suburbs than anywhere inside the city and these properties are thus much cheaper. factor in how many freebies drivers are given and how short commutes are - it makes no sense for most people to live centrally.

to understand this though you're analysis is going to have be more than "muh, i'm afraid of everything" "downtown sketchy!!!!!"

Last edited by headhorse; Nov 18, 2019 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Considering how half the local apartments around Downtown Winnipeg are rundown, burned by junkies and overall terrifying to live in - mostly the Armour buildings and others that can barely afford renos, repairs and security - I can see at least some more apartments in downtown. Maybe enough demand for another apartment tower, or two. But honestly, they need to have cheaper apartments. So if its gonna be another Soviet pre-fab that will have affordable rent for all, then I could see more towers coming in, absolutely yes. But those $1200+ per month rents, in a city and province where you can barely get 1200 in minimal wage full-time work, along with house conversions into apartments and rental suites?

The cheaper, the more likely. But those luxury apartments in Winnipeg are going to be a tough sell, unless Pallister and Bowman start bringing out these things called "jobs" above $1200/m in net pay.
Minimum wage full-time jobs would pay around 24,000 per year, which works out to $2,000 a month. Are you saying total deductions (CPP, EI, and taxes) are $800 per month? I pretty sure your calculations are highly inaccurate.

Half the local apartments around Winnipeg are rundown? I guess that depends on what you classify as rundown. To be honest, it sounds like your usual hyperbole with regards to anything Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Yay, more fear-mongoring. You are fast becoming the junior version of Winnipeg Patriot/urban recluse, which no one around here cares for.

I hope you have a job left once Alberta becomes a gigantic ghost-town. On the plus side of that though, you can go and live in any one of Calgary's many vacant office tower for a fairly reasonable price

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Next page;

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:31 PM

Core should be rising soon non?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:34 PM

oui.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:

Earnings in Winnipeg are not as far behind larger markets as you think, if you're even thinking.

$1200/month is not expensive unless you're in Flin Flon. This apartment, nor nearly any of the new or renovated apartments downtown are geared for that renter. Construction costs are high in Winnipeg, so they by nature have to market to a reasonably stable tenant.

Also, Pallister, whether you like him or not, is a out getting out of the way of the free market, not manufacturing jobs. That's a good thing. Nonetheless, there already are high earners in Winnipeg. They've never had the option of a TNS or 300 Main. 300 Assiniboine is alright but nowhere near these two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
oui.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:22 AM
BANNED

They ever going to start pouring the elevator core again or just mothballing it until spring or some other time?

Strange project!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
They ever going to start pouring the elevator core again or just mothballing it until spring or some other time?

Strange project!
Yeah, I'm confused why they haven't anchored the crane yet. Are they waiting on another steel shipment or something?

The only progress I've seen in the last week is tarps going on. It was going pretty smoothly with new floors for a while, so it's disappointing to see it stall out again

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:15 PM

Hoisting up 1 of many crates of Stonetile Laminam 1m x 3m porcelain panels.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5VA9kdgtTZ/

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Yeah, I'm confused why they haven't anchored the crane yet. Are they waiting on another steel shipment or something?

The only progress I've seen in the last week is tarps going on. It was going pretty smoothly with new floors for a while, so it's disappointing to see it stall out again
They probably can't anchor the crane back to the columns until the floors are installed and fully grouted/cured to properly restrain said columns.

From what I understand the central moving core form system is a completely self contained structure with heat, porta-pottys, etc. Pouring concrete within it is not affected by the weather.

Grouting and curing the hollowcore panels to the delta-beams and related structure IS very weather dependent, and will slow down in the winter as the need for heating/hoarding becomes necessary.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 6:40 AM

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:00 PM

I need to get into the tarp business because it is booming.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post

I'm not sure what you mean... steel just went up, and it didn't seem like that shipment came late.

While the core does have to get moving, there are tons of moving parts, and tons of work throughout the block. My super wild guess is that the tarps are not decorative and that there's tons of work going on behind them requiring heating. Plus you can see tarps drop lower towards the core, for shear walls. Basically, both these items are concrete items, ie probably the same crew that works on the climbing core.

So no net work appears to be lost, and I don't get the pessimism

Nonetheless I'll eat my words if that core doesn't climb in a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I need to get into the tarp business because it is booming.
Haha, comment of the day.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean... steel just went up, and it didn't seem like that shipment came late.

While the core does have to get moving, there are tons of moving parts, and tons of work throughout the block. My super wild guess is that the tarps are not decorative and that there's tons of work going on behind them requiring heating. Plus you can see tarps drop lower towards the core, for shear walls. Basically, both these items are concrete items, ie probably the same crew that works on the climbing core.

So no net work appears to be lost, and I don't get the pessimism

It's not really pessimism on my part; I just like visible upwards progress!

But, it's been over a week since the current columns went up, and they haven't touched them since. Compared to the last set, which started getting brackets right away.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 8:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Core will climb again in Jan. The crane will be anchored to the 12 floor. They need to pour more concrete for those strange shear walls on the backside to bring them to the 12th floor. Then the hollow core and Delta Beams on that level will be grouted, crane anchored and raised. The anchor points will be 12 and 19 for the next jumps. Lots of work going on, just out of sight.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 5:25 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Core will climb again in Jan. The crane will be anchored to the 12 floor. They need to pour more concrete for those strange shear walls on the backside to bring them to the 12th floor. Then the hollow core and Delta Beams on that level will be grouted, crane anchored and raised. The anchor points will be 12 and 19 for the next jumps. Lots of work going on, just out of sight.
Thank you for the update.

That will put the whole thing to bed until then.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 7:05 AM

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Awesome point of view. One of the best "big city" photos I've ever seen of Winnipeg!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan