HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trans National Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 6:10 AM
Meh

This thread is for discussing the development of Boston's new tallest, nothing else. No off topic chit chat, no trolling, no city bashing, no city boosting, and please, no WTC/Freedom Tower talk, unless you are specifically making a comment about similar designs, but please stay on topic.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:29 PM

Any news on this? If this project has any life left in it, you'd think we'd be seeing redesigns/construction dates soon.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:37 AM

Currently. there hasn't been any new news on this. The last I heard of this, Belkin was trying to make some preliminary payments by a certain deadline, but I am not sure what happened there.
Right now it seems like the project is undergoing some new designs since Piano left and it seems like they are keeping it quiet for now. I expect we will hear some news in a couple of months so just stay alert.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:27 AM

Things are not looking good....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 10:06 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBostonBoy View Post
Things are not looking good....
Can you be more specific?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 10:41 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

I just saw a comment on another message board that said Boston right now is "in a world of hurt". I'm not sure if they meant the housing market or the economy in general. Any truth to this?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:29 AM
Run with Love

I wouldnt say Boston is in a world of hurt, but the market might not be there for some of the bigger projects on the board right now.

What happens in Boston when the market turns in development favor is small to middle sized projects get through soon enough, but the largest and most visionary ones get bogged down by our famous NIMBY's and become unfeesable.
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:11 PM

I hope that this is one of many syscrapers that will go up in Boston

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:39 PM
Closed account

I like the proposal.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:02 PM

*cough*

Developer’s move nixes plan for Tommy’s Tower

By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The 1,000-foot Tommy’s Tower is dead.

Steven Belkin, the developer of what would have been the city’s tallest skyscraper, is selling his 56,000-square-foot building in the Fenway and moving his Trans National Group travel agency to 133 Federal St., sources told the Herald.

The 12-story Financial District tower would have been demolished to make way for the 80-story glass tower that Mayor Thomas M. Menino hoped would be built. With TNT Vacations moving its staff to Federal Street, it is unlikely Belkin will raze the building anytime soon, sources said.

This is the latest in a series of missteps that doomed the “iconic tower.” First, Belkin and celebrated Italian architect Renzo Piano parted ways. Later, Belkin and the city could not agree on a price for the Winthrop Square parking garage, which would have been part of the project. Then financing for commercial development over $10 million dried up.

Robert Griffin, president of Cushman & Wakefield, the global commercial real estate company, is handling the sale of the Fenway property at 2 Charlesgate West near Fenway Park [map]. He said the six-story building’s location near the Longwood medical area makes it a valuable asset at a time when the vacancy rate in that area is zero. The building is assessed at $5.6 million.

Link

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:19 PM

Well that blows. Are there any substantial projects that have a chance to get built in Boston?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:53 PM

If by 'substantial' you mean tall, and by 'in Boston', you mean anywhere close to any neighborhood where anybody lives, then the answer is probably no.

Tommy's tower, on the other hand, actually had a chance because it didn't satisfy the second condition. But alas, there's always the economy to screw things up.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:24 PM
low-riding

bummer

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 1:33 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

From SSC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX View Post
Tower is not dead. Might be shorter and/or slimmer though

Quote:
Developer Steve Belkin has altered his plans for a controversial new tower on the site of a city-owned parking garage, telling Boston officials he still hopes to build on the site but no longer intends to tear down an adjacent office building, Belkin and a city official said.

“We’re still hopeful that they’ll be able to refine the plan and come back and talk to us in the next few months,” Boston Redevelopment Authority Director John Palmieri said.

Belkin, whose Trans National Group is moving back into his building at 133 Federal St., said through a spokeswoman: “Our company is committed to moving forward on the Trans National Place project at Winthrop Square and believe there is still a tremendous opportunity to build an iconic tower for Boston on this site. “

A final design for the site could include the existing building, Palmieri acknowledged.

When Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced he wanted a tower of around 1,000 feet built in the neighborhood several years ago, Belkin was the city’s pick. But the Federal Aviation Administration nixed the idea, given the proximity of the site to Logan International Airport.
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/st...6/daily31.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 9:35 PM

Fuck the economy.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Too bad about this one, but I haven't seen these other towers anywhere...
http://www.boston.com/business/artic...an_for_towers/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Fuck the economy.

aren't you being a bit hard on the economy?

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo View Post
aren't you being a bit hard on the economy?
?!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 7:27 AM

I'm so tired of the FAA. It's ridiculous the kind of restrictions they're imposing on Boston. So, yeah, if a plane is a MILE off course it's going to hit this thing? News flash to the FAA: If a jetliner is a MILE off course at any point in its flight plan, there could be serious issues. The approaches to Logan are from over Southie or Boston Harbor - NOTHING comes even CLOSE to downtown. How this thing could have ever been considered a flight hazard, I'll never know.

So is this just it for Boston's downtown? The Prudential Building and the John Hancock Tower are NOT part of downtown... and yet they are both Boston and New England's tallest buildings. Is the FAA going to cancel ALL construction over a certain height limit in Boston? Because that's the message they're sending here, and that's a damned shame for my favorite city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive