HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:41 AM
BANNED

More twists in the desert, Hulzi looks to tweak deal, I wouldn't be to quick to let go of a sweetheart deal like the one Glendale is giving him either, there's practically no risk for him at all.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358958

Calling GWI brain-dead probably isn't too smart though!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:20 PM
Urban Advocate

So from someone not too familiar with the whole deal, what is in it for Hulsizer? I mean, from every angle it looks like owning and operating a team in Phoenix is a money losing deal. Aside from 'a couple tweeks' he thinks he can make, is there an 'ace up his sleeve' I don't know about? I just don't see any upside for him unless he has money to burn?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:42 PM

It looks like from behind the scenes the NHL is prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure this deal goes through. Very few seem to think this is a good deal yet it just won't die.

I'm starting to wonder why this city wants an NHL club if this is how they do business.

Last edited by ScrappyPeg; Mar 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:52 PM
BANNED

^ Agreed, I just don't understand how the NHL can allow someone to buy a team in a market that has only lost money for the past 16 years where public subsidies needed to keep that team in that market defy logic and whose long term viability is questionable at best.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Agreed, I just don't understand how the NHL can allow someone to buy a team in a market that has only lost money for the past 16 years where public subsidies needed to keep that team in that market defy logic and whose long term viability is questionable at best.
I think a lot of it has to do with pride. Bettman's primarily

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:53 PM

I'm having a hard time believing it's a simple as someones pride. If this deal is so terribly wrong - shouldn't it die a quick death? It's like the NHL is working within a reality of it's own.

There is a big part of me that just wants the Coyotes to stay where they are - do this deal as it is - let some years go by and see just what kind of deal it was.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
So from someone not too familiar with the whole deal, what is in it for Hulsizer? I mean, from every angle it looks like owning and operating a team in Phoenix is a money losing deal. Aside from 'a couple tweeks' he thinks he can make, is there an 'ace up his sleeve' I don't know about? I just don't see any upside for him unless he has money to burn?

Well for one he gets a team supposedly worth $175 million for $75 million. Obviously it is not worth $175 mil in Phoenix without the subsidies, but maybe he thinks he can wring that value out somehow.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
I'm having a hard time believing it's a simple as someones pride. If this deal is so terribly wrong - shouldn't it die a quick death? It's like the NHL is working within a reality of it's own.

There is a big part of me that just wants the Coyotes to stay where they are - do this deal as it is - let some years go by and see just what kind of deal it was.
I agree with you, my point was that as you put it ' It's like the NHL is working within a reality of it's own' and to me in my opinion that reality is based on pride and saving face.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:20 PM

I know I'm not the only one who feels this whole saga is like a big insult to this city. The Winnipeg Jets were a hockey team with a huge following long before the NHL wooed them into their league. I'm insulted that the fans in Phoenix can even compare what they think they have to what existed here when the Jets played in Winnipeg.

I remember quite clearly being told that the team was leaving Winnipeg because it just wasn't a viable market given the time/economy etc - we were told it was a business decision. This whole situation in Phoenix is not at all reminicent of what happened when the Jets left.

Speaking as a more than slightly emotional Jets fan, I'm really starting to get angry at how foolish I am to follow this circus.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:07 PM
BANNED

well like I said a few weeks ago why doesn’t the purchaser just put up the money himself or bug off instead of trying to screw taxpayers into paying for his toy. Well looks like he is doing that now so this will keep the team in Phoenix. In a year or two no doubt Winnipeg will once again be used as leverage to save Atlanta. Isn’t this fun? Our BIGGEST PROBLEM NOW IS, the fact that in a few short years we will be in competition with Quebec city who will have a way better facility. The short sighted construction of the MTS Centre was always second best and mediocre. There is such a short list of teams the NHL will consider relocating obviously and soon Winnipeg will be number 2 on the relocation list and there are NO plans for expansion teams. Go Moosies Go

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:30 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
It looks like from behind the scenes the NHL is prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure this deal goes through. Very few seem to think this is a good deal yet it just won't die.

I'm starting to wonder why this city wants an NHL club if this is how they do business.
Agreed.

I would love to see pro hockey back here, and would be willing to part with my savings to see it..

But you have to wonder about why we would want to willingly step into this mess all over again?

I can actually see the NHL collapsing this decade with the way it is being run.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:44 PM
BANNED

The way the NHL is run would make "Bernie" Madoff proud!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 7:11 PM

Why is Hulsizer willfully taking on even more risk to assume control of this money pit? He must be a con artist or something.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Why is Hulsizer willfully taking on even more risk to assume control of this money pit? He must be a con artist or something.

I think he’s looking for as many handouts as possible and buying the team in one hell of an economic slump for less with the hopes of selling it in a few years and making an easy 100 million regardless of whether or not the new owner keeps the team there or not. It’s called buying low and selling high and in the interim he writes off the losses which basically means he pays less taxes on his other investments while he owns it and the working class picks up the tab of lost revenue in the public coiffures via increased taxes for themselves. -so yes con artist.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
also in the current agreement he gets to buy the arena there for 40 million in a few years, despite the taxpayer cost of over 200 million for construction. Talk about rape. The whole deal is such a screw job.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:22 PM

Makes sense... get the taxpayers to help pay for the team, and once they hand you the keys, flip it and keep whatever profit you get. Then leave town with your money before someone there shoots you.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:41 PM

Can't say I blame Hulsizer. If I were in his position and Glendale was begging me to buy a franchise by throwing $100 million in handouts and peanuts for arena rights, I'd be on that too.

I just don't see Goldwater change their tune, to them it wasn't the amount of money, $100 million or $25 million now that Glendale was on the hook for. It was the fact that Glendale was giving Hulsizer ANY money in the first place. If he wants the Coyotes soo bad then he ought to dig in his pockets for the money. Problem is no one with a functioning brain would pay $175 million of their own money to keep the team in a hurtin hockey market.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
Can't say I blame Hulsizer. If I were in his position and Glendale was begging me to buy a franchise by throwing $100 million in handouts and peanuts for arena rights, I'd be on that too.

I just don't see Goldwater change their tune, to them it wasn't the amount of money, $100 million or $25 million now that Glendale was on the hook for. It was the fact that Glendale was giving Hulsizer ANY money in the first place. If he wants the Coyotes soo bad then he ought to dig in his pockets for the money. Problem is no one with a functioning brain would pay $175 million of their own money to keep the team in a hurtin hockey market.
Yeah, this is a good point. Goldwater seems to be taking their time to prepare a statement on their view of this revision, and this talk of Senator McCain getting involved has me wondering what is going on with them today. Its still a major taxpayer subsidy, and still a very dirty deal. I don't think goldwater is going to settle for anything less than a 100% Hulsizer-funded purchase deal.

I still want to know how he plans to FILL the arena (and parking lots) when baseball, NFL and NBA, college, (high school football for gods sakes), are competing for fans for most of the season.

Whats the plan? Free ticket with your $25.00 parking purchase?
That wouldn't work out well for MH, would it?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 10:53 PM
Closed account

Here is the actual letter MH sent to GWI (if you can believe it's actually legit and not a fake!):

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/0321Hulsizer.pdf

Yep, it's pretty "brain dead simple" that we are no longer living in June, 2005 to day

And Matt calls himself a professional businessman? Not only does this letter not clarify a single thing with regards to the deal, but the amount of spelling and other errors contained in this letter is just plain unbelievable!

Gotta love the Gongdale show!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 12:58 AM
Closed account

GWI Will Not Back Down; Deal Still Illegal

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan