HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:53 PM
<-- Tower of the Americas

New Retail Building - 301 W. Market

Property Description:
Two story retail building near the riverwalk. Across the street from the property is a new La Contessa Suites Hotel currently under construction- to be completed Oct. 2005, as well as the new Westin Hotel. Other nearby retail establishments are the popular Zinc Wine Bar, Medusa Lounge Art Bar, On the Half Shell, and more. Directly across from City Parking Garage ensures heavy walking traffic flow for locals and tourists alike. Sidewalk seating available. Major custom renovation possible for the right tenant. This would be a great location for deli, coffeebar, casual restaurant, etc.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...lww2t006a00001

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:00 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Interesting but very dated... (Mentioned Contessa as U/C...)

I wonder whether the project still has legs 2 years later.

If it does, it would be another nice little retail nook downtown.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:18 PM
Endless Moments...

There have been a couple of proposals for that piece of property. It is in good company with its sourroundings (Medusa, Cru, Hotel Contessa). It has a good location, someone just needs to do something sooner then later...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post

Interesting but very dated... (Mentioned Contessa as U/C...)

I wonder whether the project still has legs 2 years later.

If it does, it would be another nice little retail nook downtown.
Well Loopnet verified that the project's still active on 4/10 so I'm guessing it is but I didn't know if it really was something new or what

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:20 AM

I would say it's dated and most likely dead.

First, there is a fairly new wine bar across from Contessa called "Drink", so that already effects the space.

Secondly, this seems like a bad idea. Who would want to sit outside of a busy street like Market to enjoy car & bus fumes with their lunch?

This might have made sense if they had altered Market Street with Main Plaza and made Durango the main east-bound street, but in it's current state it just doesn't seem like a good place to hang out. Especially when you have the riverwalk nearby.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Who would want to sit outside of a busy street like Market to enjoy car & bus fumes with their lunch?
Good point

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:38 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

well look at New York...they have tons of sidewalk cafe's next to busy streets....people don't seem to mind

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:58 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
well look at New York...they have tons of sidewalk cafe's next to busy streets....people don't seem to mind
Good point, actually.

I think that area might be promising, since it is close to La Villita and the old SA Central Library (being renovated into some sort of Western/Cowboy Museum) is just across the street.

On top of that, a lot of people who live and work in DT SA don't like going on the river for lunch and are desperate for more places that are "ours" and don't feel so touristy.

It is little developments like this one (if it ever happens) that create liveable downtowns and beautiful areas of human scale.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 1:29 AM

Quote:
It is little developments like this one (if it ever happens) that create liveable downtowns and beautiful areas of human scale.
Another good point, this must be the official good point thread

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 6:22 AM

Quote:
On top of that, a lot of people who live and work in DT SA don't like going on the river for lunch and are desperate for more places that are "ours" and don't feel so touristy.
Are downtowners really desperate for places not considered touristy. It seems like there are already many places that are not real tourist spots.

Actually, I'm not sure why a sidewalk cafe near hotels might become a haven away from tourists, but that aside, could you share some examples of the places you are talking about; places that the locals call "ours"?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 1:13 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
could you share some examples of the places you are talking about; places that the locals call "ours"?
There are places that aren't frequented by tourists, but they are often closed on evenings and weekend. McAlister's Deli on Houston St. is a good example of a place that could be a nice spot for a DT resident to grab a cup of coffee and read the paper on Saturday morning or some lunch while out on Sunday afternoon... except it's closed on the weekends.

Tourists never venture over there and there are a few residential buildings within 1-2 blocks....but it's closed.

Blanco Cafe - in the basement of a parking garage...
McAlisters - closed on weekends
Ruta Maya - sweet spot on river, but no patio yet

Maybe what I'm really wishing for is enough DT residents to make keeping the established (non-touristy) places open feasible during "normal" business hours.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe what I'm really wishing for is enough DT residents to make keeping the established (non-touristy) places open feasible during "normal" business hours.
Haven't tried McAlisters (maybe because it is usually the weekend when we visit).

I agree that DT residents are what it will take to change this. Every time we've been down we almost always seem to find a place that is closed. And if it's Sunday? Forget about it...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:54 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Two things...

First, I wallked by this site twice last week. There is no activity whatsoever and there is still a huge For Sale sign up on the wall. So, I'll call it dead.

Second, on the topic of DT retail, it recently occurred to me that there is a major mall - RiverCenter - in the heart of the city. Not exactly what we're looking for, but it is hard to complain being that it is relatively nice and clean and it has a decent (i'm being generous) tenant mix. I don't know why but we never really consider that its even there. I don't love the place but I have to admit that it's there and it isn't a negative thing.

I wonder why we don't have more love for RiverCenter...? (Answering my own question - too touristy, too crummy, too crowded, too teal and purple...)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 2:36 AM
Bears of antiquity

AH Burritos is pretty tasty!

Unless they've closed in the past year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio