HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:17 AM

Okay, there is no doubt that all provinces have amazing scenery and dramatic landscapes and a wealth of diverse scenery.

But just given the topography and variations in climate it is definitely BC.

All of these are my own pictures from around only the southern third of BC.

Hiking the Chief by Ian, on Flickr

Long Beach, Tofino by Ian, on Flickr

Horne Lake Arbutus by Ian, on Flickr

Okanagan by Ian, on Flickr

View from Hemlock by Ian, on Flickr

Osoyoos Desert Centre by Ian, on Flickr

Beacon Hill Park by Ian, on Flickr

Rainforest, Meares Island by Ian, on Flickr

Lac Du Bois Grassland Park by Ian, on Flickr

Central Interior, BC by Ian, on Flickr

Around the Bend by Ian, on Flickr

Vancouver Sunset by Ian, on Flickr

Okanagan by Ian, on Flickr

I could have posted a lot more (for example none of these show the Gulf Islands, the Rockies, the vineyards, etc... but I only had about 5 minutes of time.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:49 AM

Ya it's really tough to chose, because our entire country is beautiful.

Northern Ontario with it's 1000's of lakes nestled in the boreal forest and and among the rugged shield landscape is my pick. I spent many a weekend of my childhood here for example.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...!4d-81.3969025

And ooh this bird song brings me back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_YJC1SjHE

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 11:22 AM

I do feel like some are mixing up the question with “what province has the most beautiful scenery / which do you prefer” rather than honestly answering which is the most diverse.

I just find it hard to believe that people really think other provinces have more diversity in scenery and landscapes than BC, which ranges from coastal islands, fiords, river deltas, snow capped mountains and glaciers, rainforest, scrub sage grasslands, plateaus dotted with thousands of lakes (which look an awful lot like the Canadian Shield), major canyons, escarpments, the classic Boreal forest of the north, prairie, etc...

Now, I can totally get the subjective nature of what provincial scenery is better, but variety is far less subjective, BC is hands down the winner. Now, second place is more interesting a discussion and is a battle between Ontario and Alberta I think.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 11:59 AM

Interesting as to which would come second. Alberta lacks coastline and Ontario lacks mountains. Ontario does have the La Cloche mountain range which is stunning.

The Crack 06 by Russell Sturmey, on Flickr

Interestingly enough they were once higher than the Rockies, but have eroded.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Forget the Escarpment, give me gently rolling farm country.
Kill two + birds with one stone

Milton..it has the Escarpment, rolling farm country to the north and the awesome urbanity of the big box hell near the 401 and also greige coloured snout houses.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:27 PM
Closed account

Hmmm...tough call.

For sheer awe, probably BC, followed by Alberta. They've also the most variety. Mountains and coastline (in BC's case) help.

Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland have parts that are really spectacular and parts that can be mediocre (unless you're a big fan of the Arrogant Worms' song Rocks and Trees)

Southern Manitoba and Saskatchewan definitely have that 'Big Sky' country feeling, but the northern parts are definitely Canadian Shield rocks and trees, which familiarity has ruined for me.

The Maritimes have the most variety in a small area. They don't have the scale of the rest of the country, so it's less spectacular but more accessible.

Northern Canada I've not been to.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:38 PM

1. BC
2. Yukon
3. Ontario
4. Alberta
5. Newfoundland

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:20 PM

For me, BC is number one. Hands down.

I don’t know who’d come in second, but I’ve seen enough of Alberta and Quebec to know it’s not my native Ontario, of which I’ve explored most of south of Sault Ste Marie. Newfoundland also looks very spectacular and could be a contender for second, and Nova Scotia packs a lot into a little space.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I do feel like some are mixing up the question with “what province has the most beautiful scenery / which do you prefer” rather than honestly answering which is the most diverse.

I just find it hard to believe that people really think other provinces have more diversity in scenery and landscapes than BC, which ranges from coastal islands, fiords, river deltas, snow capped mountains and glaciers, rainforest, scrub sage grasslands, plateaus dotted with thousands of lakes (which look an awful lot like the Canadian Shield), major canyons, escarpments, the classic Boreal forest of the north, prairie, etc...

Now, I can totally get the subjective nature of what provincial scenery is better, but variety is far less subjective, BC is hands down the winner. Now, second place is more interesting a discussion and is a battle between Ontario and Alberta I think.
I mean the poster simply asked which province(s) do you think are the most scenic or beautiful...never mentioned any thing about "most diverse".

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I mean the poster simply asked which province(s) do you think are the most scenic or beautiful...never mentioned any thing about "most diverse".
Haha, your right! Have no idea how that got into my head.

Well, for me BC is still number one.

After that from what I have seen is Alberta, Ontario and the Yukon. I do have a soft spot for the more arid portions of south western Saskatchewan as well.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

I don’t know who’d come in second, but I’ve seen enough of Alberta and Quebec to know it’s not my native Ontario, of which I’ve explored most of south of Sault Ste Marie. Newfoundland also looks very spectacular and could be a contender for second, and Nova Scotia packs a lot into a little space.
South of Sault Ste. Marie omits 2/3s of the province and what is likely the most spectacular of the Great Lakes in Lake Superior.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
South of Sault Ste. Marie omits 2/3s of the province and what is likely the most spectacular of the Great Lakes in Lake Superior.
The most spectacular parts of the province are the Niagara region and the shorelines of Lake Superior. Farm country is nice, but it looks like farm country anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:11 PM

Wow another topic destined to divide us into in-fighting. Which Russian troll started this one?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Wow another topic destined to divide us into in-fighting. Which Russian troll started this one?
I haven't noticed any Russian troll activity yet, just the occasional flash of traditional homerism. This thread seems pretty respectful so far............

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:29 PM

Growing up in the Great Lakes I can say the beaches here are very warm in July and August. It's weather dependent of course , but Wasaga Beach is extremely warm, as is Sauble Beach, Grand Bend/Pinery Park Beach, all of the beaches on Lake Erie, and even some in Lake Ontario near Cobourg/Sandbanks. They usually surpass 75F in any given summer, and many times approach 80F or even 85F if we have a big hot spell.

I find many people who grow up in Ontario take its beauty for granted. They focus on the boring parts and for whatever reason that stays engraved in their mind, and they are oblivious to the beauty. Whether it's Niagara Falls, the thousands of large swimmable beaches (and some of these beaches have ocean style waves- Sauble- so Im not talking about dinky little ponds), the cottage meca bedrock of the Muskoka's, the massive boating industry, the escarpment, the fishing, the wineries, etc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Seconded.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
This seems to be one where we have a lot of agreement. BC FTW! Anyway, the other threads you allude to tend to be dominated by a few posters who just want to duke it out with each other - you'd have better luck with the Isreali-Palestinian negotiations than convincing anyone there. Those threads don't have debate, they just are arguments of people who won't change their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Growing up in the Great Lakes I can say the beaches here are very warm in July and August. It's weather dependent of course , but Wasaga Beach is extremely warm, as is Sauble Beach, Grand Bend/Pinery Park Beach, all of the beaches on Lake Erie, and even some in Lake Ontario near Cobourg/Sandbanks. They usually surpass 75F in any given summer, and many times approach 80F or even 85F if we have a big hot spell.

I find many people who grow up in Ontario take its beauty for granted. They focus on the boring parts and for whatever reason that stays engraved in their mind, and they are oblivious to the beauty. Whether it's Niagara Falls, the thousands of large swimmable beaches (and some of these beaches have ocean style waves- Sauble- so Im not talking about dinky little ponds), the cottage meca bedrock of the Muskoka's, the massive boating industry, the escarpment, the fishing, the wineries, etc.
I don't think anybody said Ontario wasn't beautiful, for the most part. I think the spectacular is what drives people. Ontario does have some spectacular, but it also has a lot of 'nice' too. The spectacular bits are separated by lots of nice but unspectacular. It's just such a damned big province.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Yeah, I’ve seen pictures of Sleeping Giant and Ouimet canyon and, nice as it is, it’s no Icefields Parkway.

Getting to Thunder Bay is also quite a commitment - I’d have to book a flight, rental car and hotels. It’s easy to see why more Southern Ontarians go to other places before they explore that part of the province.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Yeah, I’ve seen pictures of Sleeping Giant and Ouimet canyon and, nice as it is, it’s no Icefields Parkway.

Getting to Thunder Bay is also quite a commitment - I’d have to book a flight, rental car and hotels. It’s easy to see why more Southern Ontarians go to other places before they explore that part of the province.
Generally, exploring that part of the province is done in conjunction with a road trip across the country.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:16 PM

The vast majority of BC residents live somewhere scenic, not just within close proximity to somewhere scenic. I think that says a lot. Of course, there's a lot of shitty areas in a lot of towns and cities that you wouldn't wanna live in, but when you can see mountains or the ocean from your window or when you turn the corner from your street there's at least that.

And I also think the housing stock matches the scenery and climate in the sense that there's less ugly architecture than in other cities as BC doesn't have to deal with the brutality of winter (the populated lower half).

So even if you live in the poor area of the city or in some dying logging town, at least you don't live in some depressing brick house or apartment (think yellow bricks like MTL or TO) and at least there's plenty of trees and natural landscaping around you. That is my impression from the dozens and dozens of properties I have to do reviews on and view on google maps for my job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada