HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Interesting. Losing money hand over fist and still averaging 14,789 people per game.
Don't be fooled by the attendance numbers. The 14,000+ represents tickets distributed - not tickets sold or even actually butts in the seats. Florida gives away around 3,000 tickets each game, Phoenix is probably around 2,000. And when they're selling tickets, they do so at an extremely reduced price and with offers of free food/drinks. On average Phoenix probably has no more than 10,000 actual fans at the games - which really hurts concession sales as well.

Florida the other night had a "listed attendance" of 10,000+, but there was actually around 5,000-6,000 accounted for through the turn-styles (mind you there was some Florida bowl games being played - but it's not much better othe rnights). Reading the specific teams forums is an eye-opener - you get to hear about how empty the buildings are. Someone mentioned that at the Panthers game from the upper bowl they can clearly hear conversations from people in the lower bowl. It was THAT empty and quiet.

When I used to have the NHL Centre Ice package, it was incredible how empty and quiet arenas were in Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida and Carolina.

Don't be fooled by the posted attendance figures.

You can see the empty seats in the lower bowl in the replay video in Florida from that night:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2008020602

This is what you get at Phoenix games (attendance, not the cheerleader ):

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:42 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Why are there pieces of paper posted on some of the seats? Any ideas?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 8:08 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
air sickness bags?

maybe it's to fool the cameras by creating the impression there are people in the seats

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 10:09 PM

I've been to Coyotes games twice in Phoenix, and both times it was full of Canadians. Holidayers, not snowbirds. I assume after Christmas the Canadian contingent goes down dramatically.

It was empty, it was boring, it was embarrassing to be there.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 12:22 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

you know that if this was shown to Gary Bettman, it'd just be a case of "oh, we just need to build smaller arena's in these areas"

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 2:41 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

They look like white t-shirts to me, copying our famous white-out.

By the way is having cheerleaders a good way to lure fans to the rink. Nah I doubt it even if they had ice cubes rubbed on their niples before the game. Although she is not hard on the eyes Its just another desperate attempt to lure fans in weak hockey markets and crappy hockey teams. I don't t even think baseball has cheerleaders.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 2:43 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^baseball is the sport that needs them the most....baseball and golf

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 2:50 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
^baseball is the sport that needs them the most....baseball and golf
Golf?

ok then you gonna start telling me Chess ...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:02 AM
Capitalist

WOW ... Florida would love to have an attendance like that on many nights.

I have heard on a radio show that there are some nights when the Panthers are playing before 6000 actual people... regardless of what the inflated announced attendance is.

But as circumstances have come to pass the Coyotes are quickly running out of cash.. and th owner can't afford to pay for any losses, as his primary business (transportation) is facing very rough waters during this recession. He will direct his availabl resources to the more viable operation .. and let the hockey team hang in the balance. He has already gone to the NHL and local government for much needed assistance.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 7:26 AM
Youth of a Nation

I think its gotten so bad that they think with even hot ass bitches wearing barely anything on.. it will help them bring in more consumers which is dead wrong. I think its kinda weird actually.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 12:12 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post

They look like white t-shirts to me, copying our famous white-out.

By the way is having cheerleaders a good way to lure fans to the rink. Nah I doubt it even if they had ice cubes rubbed on their niples before the game. Although she is not hard on the eyes Its just another desperate attempt to lure fans in weak hockey markets and crappy hockey teams. I don't t even think baseball has cheerleaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I think its gotten so bad that they think with even hot ass bitches wearing barely anything on.. it will help them bring in more consumers which is dead wrong. I think its kinda weird actually.
Like I said.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:42 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Suggesting that she is wearing barely anything is a little over the top .. you can see more skin at the mall on any given day.

With that said you have to realize that for many Americans, cheerleaders are an accepted sideshow of many sporting events. I think in the southern markets they are trying to emulate the NBA, which is a much more popular sport. It may not bring in more fans, it definately adds some entertainment during stoppages, as they do in football and basketball.

Canadian teams don't ignore sex appeal either by any means ... throughout the games they have sexy girls wearing skimpy outfits cleaning the ice surface during advertisement breaks.

At least the cheerleaders are there to encourage fan support... kinda like Winnipeg's own Dancing Gabe.

Personally I'd choose the girl.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Personally I'd choose the girl.
Without question

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:15 PM
Movin' on up

That cheerleader likely generates more reaction from the fans in Phoenix than the actual hockey game itself.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 3:08 AM
ILYR

BYE BYE PHOENIX ...

REPORT: COYOTES LOSE OUT ON PORTION OF REVENUE SHARING
TSN.CA

The NHL revenue-sharing program is designed to help smaller market teams compete with bigger market teams. But you have to hit specific targets and, according to ESPN.com's Scott Burnside, the Phoenix Coyotes were unable to collect last season.

Burnside reports the Coyotes were penalized 25% of their portion of the revenue-sharing pot last season. Teams can only collect their share of the revenue-sharing money if they attain certain revenue and attendance targets.

The Coyotes continue to struggle financially as the league searches for new investors for the club. Last week, the Coyotes laid off 18 office staff members.

So who here thinks Phoenix will survive past next season? It will only get worse with the US economy in the dumps.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
So who here thinks Phoenix will survive past next season? It will only get worse with the US economy in the dumps.
Unfortunately, Bettman will do EVERYTHING in his power to keep them there. And my bet would be that he will succeed.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:15 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Without question
I will just goto teasers on archibald for that kind of gurlie action!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:23 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Unfortunately, Bettman will do EVERYTHING in his power to keep them there. And my bet would be that he will succeed.
I agree, Bettman would not want to "admit" his mistake. However, it will be hard for him to convince the rest of the league to put up with losses in the 10's of millions, if not more. When Buffalo went bankrupt the economy was in a much different position, and Buffalo is a much bigger hockey town. Bettman will get backed into a corner and Gretzky wont be able to do squat.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 5:29 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
BYE BYE PHOENIX ...

I doubt they will survive the remainder of this year, without a major injection of cash.

This team is as good as gone this summer unless some rich idiot desides he wants to lose tons of cash on a hockey team based in Arizona.
The recession is really hurting the marginal NHL teams ... with the loss of corporate sponsorship and there is a big concern about season ticket sales for next year.

NHL meet the bottom .. bottom meet the NHL .. I have a feeling you'll be spending a good amount of time together. The southern US experiment is an outright failure... other than Dallas.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 5:39 AM
high expectations

I cant seem to get past the fact that we had the jets in winnipeg, but now we dont.. why didnt it work 13 years ago..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan