HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 11:45 PM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_339/letusapologize.html

Editorial
Let us apologize for Goldman Sachs

October 23-29, 2009

Quote:
As for that headquarters, most of the money to build it, $1.6 billion, came from tax-free Liberty Bonds, a post-9/11 federal program. We’re sorry the firm was not more careful constructing the building, as a project architect was paralyzed by falling debris, and neighborhood children and a cab driver were almost hit in separate incidents.

Goldman did contribute an infinitesimal percentage of project money, $4.5 million, to help pay for a nearby library and community center. Originally, Goldman was “only” going to get $1 billion worth of tax-free bonds. But when the firm pulled out of the deal, former Governor Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg sweetened the offer in 2005 with more bonds and $150 million in incentives.

We recognize that Goldman’s wealth has many benefits in the neighborhoods around Wall St. Along with the rest of the financial industry, Goldman helps drive the city, state and national economy, but it is hard to be appreciative when its greed is so unbridled.

Under the 2005 deal with New York, Goldman is entitled to get $321 million back at the end of the year because many of the World Trade Center deadline promises will be missed. In a recent interview with the Daily News, Mayor Bloomberg said he thought the bad public relations of collecting the money will prevent the firm from exercising its rights. We hope so, but we know a few kittens who are not so sure about the firm’s P.R. savvy.

Goldman made 10 times more — not in revenue — but profits in the last three months than the $321 million it is due. While New York City and the country continue to hemorrhage jobs, the firm is paying out $23 billion in bonuses. Yes Goldman paid back with interest the $10 billion in bailout money it borrowed; but the firm also got indirect TARP funds through distressed companies, like A.I.G. Goldman and the rest of Wall St. drove us to the cliff, got bailed out by taxpayers, and now are lobbying Washington against the regulations that will prevent this risky behavior from reoccurring.

Questions continue over why Lehman Brothers, Goldman’s competitor, was allowed to fail last fall under the direction of Hank Paulson, the former Treasury secretary and Goldman C.E.O., and whether the Obama administration remains too cozy with the firm.

We do hope our longtime neighbor will start acting like a good corporate citizen, but until they do — America, please accept our apology for Goldman Sachs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Editorial

October 23-29, 2009
This is the sadness we live in New York everyday, but who cares! The rich will greedily suck blood Halloween in and Halloween out. Jokes are for real, and tricks aren't for kids. New York kids starve just like Louisiana and Mississippi kids because of rich delinquents! Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Uptown, LES, all children in this city will suffer as long as the rich get richer and richer and suck blood and don't treat their neighbors kids, but instead keep tricking them. Well, Happy Halloween Goldman Sachs, tricks on you HAHA! You're the dollar's slave. LOSER.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 5:24 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 5:02 AM

The glassed inclosed passageway was open tonight and it is really beautiful. I didn't have a camera with me, sorry.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 1:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Never get sick of that view.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie60 View Post
The glassed inclosed passageway was open tonight and it is really beautiful. I didn't have a camera with me, sorry.
this one?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 8:27 PM

Am I nuts or hasn't that passageway been open since the summer?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 11:13 PM

The sidewalk shed has been removed and it was the first time I saw it so complete and clean.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:22 PM

Is this building really 725'?

It's gorgeous, but it seems to me to look slightly shorter than other 700+/- footers in the area.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 1:17 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Is this building really 725'?

It's gorgeous, but it seems to me to look slightly shorter than other 700+/- footers in the area.
That's just because of how massive this building is. It's still about the same height as the WFC and 7Wtc:

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 3:02 AM

it is huge. how many s.f.?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 5:46 AM

I suppose the construction elevator is still up to deliver material for the uppermost interiors right? Anyone know when they'll take it down?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 8:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
it is huge. how many s.f.?
Anywhere from 2.2 msf to 2.5 msf, I forget the exact size.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:20 PM
World Machine

I was chilling at the WFC plaza yesterday afternoon and really took in the size of this building. The upper floors are visibly still shells, so I would imagine that the elevator may be still serving a purpose.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 1:06 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:40 PM

not as nice pic as the one above... but maybe a historic one...

pic by REUTERS, published in mural.com newspaper... from today

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 11:53 PM
New Yorker for life

A larger shot from the USS New York's arrival today...

dajamist

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ao_bM8x5PoUw

Goldman Sachs Architect Has No Pie in the Sky Payday

by James S. Russell
Nov. 3 (Bloomberg)

A few days ago, I stood before the $2.5 billion 43-story skyscraper that the masters of the universe at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. will soon call home.

The West Lobby, with its colorful, monumental mural, exudes a forbidding calm amid a frenzy of building activity.

Outside, I watched men install stone curbs at the East Lobby’s limousine drop-off. As I contemplated this edifice at 200 West Street, a block from Ground Zero, some numbers came to mind:

-- The $1.65 billion in tax-exempt bonds that helped build the tower and saved the firm $100 million.

-- The $115 million of tax breaks Goldman wrung from city and state officials desperate to show progress at the World Trade Center site.

-- The $16.7 billion Goldman has set aside for compensation this year.

The firm and its competitors say big paydays are essential to retain their best people. I’d argue that that is a totally fraudulent mantra insulting millions who are far less grandly paid yet glad to make a difference.

Case in point: the architects of Goldman’s new tower, a group of firms led by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners. Co-founded by I.M. Pei, the practice is in the top tier of corporate-design firms. It wouldn’t discuss compensation or the Goldman Sachs project, yet its eight principals probably make a nice living.

And their pay packages would be laughed off Wall Street.

Seven Figures

Goldman’s allocation for 2009 compensation and benefits is enough to pay every single worker close to $600,000. On average, you have to be president of a large architecture firm to earn more than $300,000, according to the latest salary survey of the American Institute of Architects.

“It is the rare principal or significant owner of an architecture firm that even approaches the seven-figure incomes of investment-bank executives,” said Ian Rusk, president of ZwiegWhite, a consulting firm that surveys architects’ pay.

Architecture jobs are certainly as demanding as those of many bankers. Pull away the suspended ceiling of a tech-heavy office building like Goldman’s and you’ll find a maze of ductwork, electrical conduits and pipes for water, sewer and fire sprinklers. Below the nice carpeting and behind the paneled walls, miles of fiber-optic cables snake from traders’ desks to racks of routers.

Some computer draughtsman earning $45,000 a year has to make sure that the ducts can fit under the steel beams and that every light switch and sprinkler head is laid out where it belongs. Miss a few things and the change orders (contractor demands for more money) start rolling in.

Shedding Glass

Though the Pei firm is esteemed for its creative risk- taking and devotion to technical innovation, it has confronted failure.

In 1973, huge sheets of glass on the John Hancock skyscraper the firm designed in Boston began separating from the building and shattering on the ground. The problem took years and millions of dollars to fix. A less-tenacious firm would have gone out of business.

Pei and his partners methodically repaired the building and the firm’s reputation, losing none of their taste for daring as they completed the East Wing of the National Gallery, in Washington, and the glass-pyramid entrance to the Louvre.

Falling Metal Studs

On rare occasions, the risks aren’t just monetary. Robert Woo, an architect with Adamson Associates, one of the firms working on the Goldman project, was severely injured when a crane at the tower site dropped seven tons of metal studs onto the trailer in which he was sitting. His Toronto-based firm would not give details of his current condition except to say it hadn’t significantly improved and he hadn’t returned to work.

So many architects hang out shingles that fees get driven down, making their pay crummier than that of almost all other highly educated professions. Why do they do it? Because they love it. (Pei, 92, has had a hard time retiring. A museum he designed in Qatar opened last year.)

Architects can’t wait to reinvent the stairway. They are thrilled when a client loves her new kitchen. Goldman entrusted its faith and its billions to Pei principal Henry N. Cobb, 83. One of the firm’s co-founders in 1960, Cobb will complete his first New York skyscraper when Goldman is done.

For the designer of the glass-shedding Hancock tower, now much admired, it must feel good.

Other creative industries and the so-called helping professions -- nurses, teachers, social workers -- attract smart and motivated talent to low-pay careers.

Many Wall Streeters think anti-bonus rage is class warfare or hating the rich. It has to do with the trust we put in highly paid speculators who expect stratospheric rewards no matter how their bets pan out. No architect would blithely ask to be rewarded for building a house that fell down.

For information: http://www.pcfandp.com/a.html

(James S. Russell is Bloomberg’s U.S. architecture critic. The opinions expressed are his own.)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 3:00 PM

Quote:

Editorial

October 23-29, 2009
This is silly. The Paulson conspiracy theory again? And companies are in business to earn profits for their owners - is this reporter donating more of his income to help New York's budget gap? If not why should Goldman Sachs or any other business?

It's just too bad they didn't add a few thousand feet to this thing...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 9:00 PM

Inthe midst of the recession, Goldman Sachs is throwing out money like it's chump change, and saving money in methods I would use too. They have two shiny new glass towers, which pretty much own the skylines on both sides of the hudson, and a glass pathway for pedestrians to enjoy at night.

How much money do these people have???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive