HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:18 PM

Does the 6 months of training involve hiring new drivers and starting them from scratch? I can't get over how you need 6 months of training to keep your bus on the road and to obey all other traffic rules and regulations... seriously where is all that training money going to?! WTF.

I agree that more information is needed for the master plan. It looks "meh" on paper. I do think that the "A" and "B" lines could brilliantly serve Winnipeg the rapid transit spines that it needs if it is grade-separated for most of it. Personally I would be more concerned with the flexibility of this master plan when it comes to the technology being implemented. I am predicting that I won't see the extra roads built in my lifetime so I think that the master plan needs to be flexible enough to change technologies or strategies as the city changes since we won't see this for another 50 years with the way the City of Winnipeg has handled its current "rapid" transit project. And 50 years is a LONG time.

Funnily enough, it almost looks like a melted Calgary preliminary C-Train plan flipped on its side.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:49 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

As of 11:45 am today (Saturday), one day after Transit Master Plan Network (route) report was released, still no word from the left leaning media (Free Press, CBC). The Winnipeg Sun has a story on the topic:

The Winnipeg Sun
Sat. October 26, 2019
City asks for input on Transit Master Plan

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-ne...it-master-plan

CTV News Winnipeg
Sat. October 26, 2019
Residents asked to weigh in on new transit routes

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/resident...utes-1.4657012

Last edited by LilZebra; Oct 27, 2019 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Does the 6 months of training involve hiring new drivers and starting them from scratch? I can't get over how you need 6 months of training to keep your bus on the road and to obey all other traffic rules and regulations... seriously where is all that training money going to?! WTF.
2 hours training per operator, mix of classroom and on the BRT. Can only train so many a day. They are counting on a lot of operators doing it outside of their regular shifts, although the times available will not work fro a lot of drivers. They need to learn its features and operation, along with emergency procedures. Yes, it's different than operating on normal roads.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:06 AM

The first thing I noticed was 'Mayfair Station'. Currently it's 3 stops which are far walks from each other.
I'm hoping it can turn into something like this

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:55 AM

Waterfront North Point Douglas / Higgins

Is there any mapping showing an exact station location at Higgins / Waterfront?

Are there any detailed proposal drawings for the rapid transit on Higgins or adjacent to the rail tracks?

It’s still a little unclear to me where they are proposing through the area exactly.

This is a preferred route as it will finally allow for a more substantial development in the area. A huge opportunity is unfolding!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
They need to learn its features and operation, along with emergency procedures. Yes, it's different than operating on normal roads.
Lol, like what exactly? They need 6 months to learn how to read a priority signal? It's a flipping bus on its own road whether you want to admit it or not. There would be no extraordinary emergency procedures other than maybe reminding your team how to evacuate a bus. As for the real-time tracking, that's all handled by GPS.

Please humour me on this one...

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Lol, like what exactly? They need 6 months to learn how to read a priority signal? It's a flipping bus on its own road whether you want to admit it or not. There would be no extraordinary emergency procedures other than maybe reminding your team how to evacuate a bus. As for the real-time tracking, that's all handled by GPS.

Please humour me on this one...
2 hours, not 6 months, and April, coinciding with the spring schedule change, is when it's planned to become fully operational. That's purely logistical.

Operators need to be familiar with the roadway before operating on it. Pretty simple. All newly hired operators will get that training within the 6 week new operator training period. And yes, being a road with few exits, there are specific emergency procedures, nothing to do with the buses themselves.

I suppose if you've never operated a Transit bus and are probably an infrequent rider you'd have no clue as to the planning and preparation involved.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:47 PM

It's been stated numerous times and places that the RT line is opening in April when the regular schedule change comes into place. There is a lot of route changes with the BLUE line opening, so there's no sense making changes in Feb then again in April. It's pretty simple. Same reason first leg opened in April.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's been stated numerous times and places that the RT line is opening in April when the regular schedule change comes into place. There is a lot of route changes with the BLUE line opening, so there's no sense making changes in Feb then again in April. It's pretty simple. Same reason first leg opened in April.
What a disaster that was, especially the 162 route. They made schedules assuming the BRT would take less time end to end than the 62, when in reality it took more time with its new downtown routing. By opening in April, it will give then 2 schedule changes (spring and summer) to make schedule adjustments before University starts up in the fall.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Is there any mapping showing an exact station location at Higgins / Waterfront?

Are there any detailed proposal drawings for the rapid transit on Higgins or adjacent to the rail tracks?

It’s still a little unclear to me where they are proposing through the area exactly.

This is a preferred route as it will finally allow for a more substantial development in the area. A huge opportunity is unfolding!
There is nothing in detail. Eastern Corridor study would be the place to look for more details re: Point douglas. It was on hold.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There is nothing in detail. Eastern Corridor study would be the place to look for more details re: Point douglas. It was on hold.
🤔

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:34 PM

Some info on Southwest Transitway.

https://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/n...20191029.stm#1

Highlights of the BLUE Line service plan include:
◾Frequency and service reliability that gives passengers more flexibility and freedom in their travel
◾Feeder routes that stay on schedule by avoiding congestion Downtown
◾Frequent BLUE Line buses which aren’t affected by delays on Pembina Highway while operating on the transitway
◾Average 2-3 minute wait times for transfers from feeder routes to the BLUE Line
◾Average 5-8 minute wait times for transfers from the BLUE Line to feeder routes
◾Travel time on the corridor will improve by 8-10 minutes in ideal conditions
◾Nearly all connections will be made at stations or major stops with heated shelters
◾Upgraded passenger information displays at stations

There's also an administrative report that outlines some financial details.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...ctionId=543098

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:08 PM

The proposed southwest transit corridor network. (City of Winnipeg)

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:29 PM

Theory is blue line is rapid, 2 digit line are frequent, 3 digit are local.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:29 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

The "Blue Line" (WT Phase II 'rt') and the 'A' (Transit Master Plan) line are the same entity.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Theory is blue line is rapid, 2 digit line are frequent, 3 digit are local.
Except they're not.

According to the proposed route frequency, the 91 will run every 40 minutes, except during rush hour, during which it will run every 20 min.

So one bus one the route except for rush hour when there will be 2.

Right now the frequency in St. Norbert is < 10 during rush hour when you consider 162 and 137 service.

So a reduction in service by 50%.

There should be 3 buses running the route during rush hour, two in non-peak and one at late night.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 9:37 PM

I wonder if travelling on a busway with 4 stops ( phase 2) will be quicker than travelling from Pembina & Jubilee to Plaza on a super express ( e.g 137)?

I suspect yes for going south in the evening, but I;m not sure about going north in the morning.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:40 PM

Maybe I got the 2 digit and the lettered routes mixed up.

A-C were rapid. A line and blue line are the same thing.

Then the rest of the lettered routes were the frequent routes. I think the 2 digits were "direct" routes. Maybe. I could check the docs I guess.

3 digits are local feeders. the first digit identifying the area of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:47 PM

The new numbering scheme won't fully make sense or work as intended until the TMP is fully enacted, they're just starting with 6XX numbers now as the SW area has it's RT line, so there's no point making new route numbers than changing them again in a few years.

Community routes will eventually all be XXX, with the first number designating what area of the city it services. Feeder/Direct routes will be XX, and Rapid will be by colour. For now only routes that are affected by SWBRT are changing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:23 PM

Yes.

And I know facebook isn't the best place to get information or news from. But judging by the comments to the SW changes, people are their typical cynical piece of shit selves.

Transit is trying to improve service. But everybody just shits on it like typical NIMBY's. Don't change my route! blah blah blah! Waste of time blah blah blah.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that if the City continued to do nothing, they'd complain as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan