HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Dubai Towers Dubai - Tower 1 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 12:45 AM

ATLANTA | Metropolitan Center Phase 1 | Height ? | Floors ? | PROPOSED

Insurance giant MetLife Inc. plans to break ground in August on its $225 million Metropolitan Center, a new mixed-use development that will transform the northern edge of Midtown as it unfolds over the next several years.

Located on Spring Street at the end of the new 17th Street bridge across the Downtown Connector from Atlantic Station, the first phase of Metropolitan Center will include a 27-story office tower with 517,000 rentable square feet, to be named 77 East 17th St.; a roughly 30-floor luxury apartment tower with around 300 units; and 40,000 rentable square feet of retail space throughout both towers.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 1:29 AM

another great set of buildings for downtown atlanta..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 4:21 PM

This will definitely help connect Atlantic Staion to the rest of Midtown and not make the 17th St. bridge not look so naked.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
roma volo

that area definitely needs the development. it is so bare, with little buildings except for a couple low rise complexes and alot of parking lots.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 12:28 AM
FriskyDingo

This is great stuff. If we (ATL) can just keep pumping out stuff like this, in 10 years ATL will have soooo much more density, and this will hopefully snowball into more development.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:15 PM

September and no Met Center.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:08 AM

6 months and counting...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 10:27 PM

Signage is now up on the site at the corner of 17th and Spring!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 10:44 PM
Urban Explorer

I was interested to see that Selig and Daniel have joined MetLife on this one. It seems their partnership at 12th and Midtown has been successful so far.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 7:07 PM

I hope this starts construction soon!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 11:06 PM
Back on the road again

I had forgotten about this one 'til I noticed some new posts. Is the opening post of this thread rendering still the only one out there?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 1:40 PM

No Steve, somewhere out there is a much better, much more recent one. Just can't remember where/when I saw it - but it's here on the forum somewhere.

If I find it I'll post a link.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 2:53 PM

Theres a larger rendering on the website but it's the same one... the web address is www.metropolitan-center.com.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 8:09 PM

Yes interesting that Daniel & Selig have joined forces on this so soon after getting the ball rolling on 12th & Midtown with MetLife. Do we really think this will move forward in the current building cycle though? I see this is a 2009 ground breaking at the earliest with more likely 2010 to 11. By that time frame, I'd think the concept would be revised and be 10 stories or more taller though if Atlanta continues its current 10 year growth pattern.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Yes interesting that Daniel & Selig have joined forces on this so soon after getting the ball rolling on 12th & Midtown with MetLife. Do we really think this will move forward in the current building cycle though? I see this is a 2009 ground breaking at the earliest with more likely 2010 to 11. By that time frame, I'd think the concept would be revised and be 10 stories or more taller though if Atlanta continues its current 10 year growth pattern.
Selig signed on for the retail portion and Daniel is building the rental building. I was at Selig's offices last week and this moving forward now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 3:21 PM

That's great. I know the market demand for rentals is high now while the condo market has softened. I'm concerned though that many condos will go rental thus dampening the demand for rental and we might end up with oversupply of both soon.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
That's great. I know the market demand for rentals is high now while the condo market has softened. I'm concerned though that many condos will go rental thus dampening the demand for rental and we might end up with oversupply of both soon.
I am no expert or even in any sort of real estate field.. but from my perspective the rental market is completely underdeveloped. I'm so glad to see an apartment high rise go forward. More of this please. Not everyone can afford a 300k mortgage!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 7:17 PM

My understanding is that Daniel is developing the office building (left in the rendering) and Hanover is developing the residential building (right in the rendering). Selig's involvement seems limited to the retail/restaurant areas in the shared parking structure beneath the residential tower. "Buzz" seems strong that this MetLife project is going to start in early 08.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 9:46 PM

Would be great to see this begin. Atl St still seems a little isolated from Midtown and this would be a key connection. The 17th St Bridge seems very long and isolating for anyone who wants to walk over to AS. It is really not so far, but appears to be not so close.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:21 PM

Although this is a very conceptual sketch, two things strike me as odd and make me think this is a rendering that was recycled from some other project.

1. The perspective is impossible. If the two-way street with medians is Peachtree, Perkins + Will is gonna be PISSED when MetLife tears down their current building to build their own. If it's supposed to be West Peachtree, watch out for those north-bound cars! YIPE!

2. Even in a high-level sketch, architects tend to make the cars look kinda contemporary. The ones sketched here are clearly mid-80's models.

I think the only thing that can be gleaned from that rendering is this: MetLife may or may not build a building or two at 17th & Peachtree. Said buildings will probably have walls and windows. Anything else, based on that sketch, is pure conjecture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive