HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:07 PM

Wow, I can't believe they've revived the Penn Center Inn at 20th & Market!

What nostalgia!

Really? (They have demolished better looking buildings in the past, and Penn Center Inn was very deserving of the wrecking ball...)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:13 AM

Specs

35 floors?

Brickstone Realty Cos. is proposing to construct a 35-story residential tower at the Lits building that would entail coring out a portion of the building and putting the new structure on an original foundation.

The new building would be an independent structure and stand a total of 429 feet. It would poke out of the back of the building north along Filbert Street.

More than a dozen connected structures make up the Lits building, which has office and retail space.

The historical commission has jurisdiction over the exterior appearance of the building, the facades and roof. The new structure would be constructed without any demolition of the Lits historical facade and be 160 feet removed from Market Street where its historical facade is most prominent. The question, among others, comes to whether this construction alters important spaces that make up the building and whether it hinders the public from appreciating its historical characteristics.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...or.html?page=2

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
35 floors?
Yeah, the floor count hasn't been reported in a very clear way. It sounds like they will be constructing 30 floors above the current 5 floors for a total of 35 which is why some sources are reporting the 30 floor number. I'm guessing they have to couch it that way due to the historic designation of the existing structure (i.e. they don't want to sound like they are going to demo the existing 5 floors and building 35 new, so they report it as just 30 new floors.)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:24 PM

I am having a hard time seeing where this sits within the Lit Brothers complex. There is the back ally that divides the Lit Building with the Prison. Do they plan to build up from that back corner, furthest from 8th and Market?

I am curious what future residents will think about their view of the federal prison next door.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 8:20 PM

Im willing to bet this is value hunting for a flip.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I am having a hard time seeing where this sits within the Lit Brothers complex. There is the back ally that divides the Lit Building with the Prison. Do they plan to build up from that back corner, furthest from 8th and Market?
It would eliminate that alley more or less.

Now that the roundhouse is going under and being redeveloped with the increase in land values in the area, I wouldn't be surprised to see that women's prison suffer the same fate.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
Now that the roundhouse is going under and being redeveloped with the increase in land values in the area, I wouldn't be surprised to see that women's prison suffer the same fate.
Women's prison? You mean the Federal Detention Center (which is coed)? That's not going anywhere as long as the nearby federal courthouse and federal building are there:

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/phl/

Incidentally, there've been similar federal facilities smack in the middle of lower Manhattan, Chicago, and Los Angeles for decades:

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/nym/index.jsp
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/ccc/
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/los/

and the one in Philly is DEFINITELY the best looking of the bunch, IMHO.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
It would eliminate that alley more or less.

As much as it is an alley it is actually listed as Filbert and it can not be taking away as it serves entrance to the federal prison.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
As much as it is an alley it is actually listed as Filbert and it can not be taking away as it serves entrance to the federal prison.
It also happens to have some gorgeous sky bridges. I hope they are preserved!

Photo credit: Swinefeld from this thread

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
It also happens to have some gorgeous sky bridges. I hope they are preserved!
I know the one is not in service. There is a lot going on with the parking garage next door which PPA controls.

I give this about 2% chance of ever happening. I'd be happy if I was wrong, but it just doesn't seem like a place to build residences above. Prison next door, PPA home, Ross and subway entrances... not my cup of tea to live above/next door.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:07 AM

^They mentioned specifically that the bridges would be preserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Wow, I can't believe they've revived the Penn Center Inn at 20th & Market!

What nostalgia!

Really? (They have demolished better looking buildings in the past, and Penn Center Inn was very deserving of the wrecking ball...)
That was the first thing I thought of to haha....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:33 PM

This tower has been approved by the historical commission. There is also a new design for it:

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.c...r-market-east/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:54 PM

O.P. updated to reflect new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This tower has been approved by the historical commission. There is also a new design for it:

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.c...r-market-east/
Well, it's an improvement over the first design at least. I'm excited to see that moving Liberty Place 2 to South Philly is still part of the proposal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Well, it's an improvement over the first design at least. I'm excited to see that moving Liberty Place 2 to South Philly is still part of the proposal.
????

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
????
look at the tall building to the right of the St. James in the background. It's Liberty 2 in South Philly.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
look at the tall building to the right of the St. James in the background. It's Liberty 2 in South Philly.
now I gotcha - plus it looks like two of the Society are being relocated to S Philly as well

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:23 PM

It will be quite a site to see the world's first transplanted skyscraper.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 12:08 AM

Maybe that's Blatstien's secret plan for Broad and Washington?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:05 AM
resu deretsiger

i have a feeling this tower will look much better than the renders once completed, but...they were told to go back to the drawing board and this is the best they could come up with? still better than the original though.

also, should we start a separate thread for the relocation of two liberty place?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:48 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Way better than the original. It's a small change, but it made a huge difference. Still a lackluster design, but not bad like the previous design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive